• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

the mighty whites v the moors

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is Pilling still out on loan or only 4th choice after Wharton? It’s not impossible that we’ll meet Fylde in the play-offs, so Taylor wouldn’t be available. Should be giving one or other of them match time in case something happens to Scott Davies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Very poor first half. A real lack of quality. The 4-1-4-1 system not working. Mangan isolates. Ginnelly very poor. Dunn and rokka in centre mid look so out of position.

Dare I saw Solihull’s relegation rivals won’t be happy with us making 11 changes.

Feels like a reserve game with some trialists thrown in. Hope it improves.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It doesn’t sound much fun from the commentary. Referee giving us nothing, suggestion of a foul on Duggan for their goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feels like one of those reserve games I used to go to years ago. Very disjointed but hope it improves.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didn’t think duggan was fouled but drysdale was leading up to it. Arguably Taylor could have done better as was beaten at his near post but that might be harsh.

Slightly better this half so far

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but should we have made so many changes against an in form Solihull playing to stay up?

Arguably just asking for a defeat...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's comments regarding the quality of the game. However, if we avoid injuries on Saturday and win promotion, nobody will be discussing this entirely forgettable match. I think Solihull were safe already, so the result had no bearing on the relegation issue.

The performance was disjointed, as you would expect with such a mish-mash of a team, not only inexperienced but with players out of position all over the place. Individually, I thought Clarke was the best of the outfield players, and Taylor arguably man of the match after several decent saves, including the penalty. Monthe played well until the penalty incident, where he let his man get the wrong side of him and dragged him back: I always feel he has a mistake in him. Green was not great but took his goal well, and I also thought there was a definite foul in the build up to their first goal.

There were a few youngsters in that team with time to improve, but also a number of squad players who will never be good enough for us. Plenty of fat to trim from the squad.

Disappointing that tonight the gate dipped below 4,000 for the first time since we dropped into this division, but only to be expected really.

I think we will play the first eleven on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I sort of understand the fielding a weakened team idea, was it not possible to assemble a more cohesive unit from the players available, even if we used different youngsters to do so? Think Jay Devine is a central midfielder, who could have featured for example.

The Tranmere commentary had Dunn as MoM, mainly it seemed on workrate, as most of his creative efforts sounded poor. Others have been positive about Green and Rokka. It's unlikely that many of these will even get a place on the bench come the semi-final. Saturday needs to fire things up,feeling strangely deflated atm.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I agree with most of Sparky's comments regarding the quality of the game. However, if we avoid injuries on Saturday and win promotion, nobody will be discussing this entirely forgettable match. I think Solihull were safe already, so the result had no bearing on the relegation issue.

The performance was disjointed, as you would expect with such a mish-mash of a team, not only inexperienced but with players out of position all over the place. Individually, I thought Clarke was the best of the outfield players, and Taylor arguably man of the match after several decent saves, including the penalty. Monthe played well until the penalty incident, where he let his man get the wrong side of him and dragged him back: I always feel he has a mistake in him. Green was not great but took his goal well, and I also thought there was a definite foul in the build up to their first goal.

There were a few youngsters in that team with time to improve, but also a number of squad players who will never be good enough for us. Plenty of fat to trim from the squad.

Disappointing that tonight the gate dipped below 4,000 for the first time since we dropped into this division, but only to be expected really.

I think we will play the first eleven o Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
While I sort of understand the fielding a weakened team idea, was it not possible to assemble a more cohesive unit from the players available, even if we used different youngsters to do so?

The Tranmere commentary had Dunn as MoM, mainly it seemed on workrate, as most of his creative efforts sounded poor. Others have been positive about Green and Rokka. It's unlikely that many of these will even get a place on the bench come the semi-final. Saturday needs to fire things up,feeling strangely deflated atm.
I don't think you could assemble a more cohesive team without using first team players, and Mellon clearly did not want to risk any of them. I have just wasted 94 minutes watching the game, but I don't feel deflated. We basically gave Solihull a bye tonight.

I have no idea how the commentators gave Dunn man of the match. Tonight summed up why he is not involved with the first team squad. Showboating, playing as an individual, making poor decisions....... He has some natural ability but he is so frustrating to watch.

He will be released in the summer and he is not the only one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with RLC that a win on Saturday will make us forget about tonight.

What is disappointing though is the likes of Dunn, Rokka and Green were all playing for new contracts - and none really impressed, although Devarn scored a good goal.

Felt sorry for mangan who was isolated so often and had no service at all. The likes of drysdale, Solomon-Davies and duggan didn’t impress me either and Ginnelly flattered to deceive.

Only one game of course but one thing on show tonight was that mickys recruitment as we know has been poor.

Dunn tried really hard to be fair but nothing he tried came off and he gave the ball away so often. To think he played at Wembley last year and cookie was on the bench...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think you could assemble a more cohesive team without using first team players, and Mellon clearly did not want to risk any of them. I have just wasted 94 minutes watching the game, but I don't feel deflated. We basically gave Solihull a bye tonight.

I have no idea how the commentators gave Dunn man of the match. Tonight summed up why he is not involved with the first team squad. Showboating, playing as an individual, making poor decisions....... He has some natural ability but he is so frustrating to watch.

He will be released in the summer and he is not the only one.

I don't think Rokka/Dunn are obvious central midfielders, as suggested in my edited post, maybe Devine could have slotted in there. Couldn't quite figure out where Duggan was playing, though he sounded below par.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with RLC and Sparky. There wasn't a great deal you could take from that performance. Most of the players out there have no future at the club. Drydsale was worryingly bad, Monthe looked awkward and no where near the quality of Sutton, midfield was pretty much non-existent but do accept players were played out of position. Mangan ran a lot without any service at all... Their keeper was far too quiet although in contrast Taylor pulled off some good saves.

I'd have liked a few changes tonight, not wholesale ones like we saw as it just made for a terrible game in all honestly, but let's hope we get back to winning ways on Saturday to take us nicely into the playoffs.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think Rokka/Dunn are obvious central midfielders, as suggested in my edited post, maybe Devine could have slotted in there. Couldn't quite figure out where Duggan was playing, though he sounded below par.
Duggan played as a defensive midfielder and was poor. I am not disagreeing about Rokka and Dunn, but I don't know how we could have put a 'proper' midfield together without using first teamers or youngsters who were nowhere near ready enough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, there was no real structure to it at all. The side was so inexperienced and the balance just all over the place. I think MM drew names and positions out of a hat five minutes before kick off. Just a mish-mash of a team. No point reading anymore into it. Like RLC says, we gave Solihull a bye tonight. Lets just move on to Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ian/RLC thanks for the replies. I hope for an improvement on Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Woking can't complain about the weakened team, as even with a full team we wouldn't have emulated last year's 9-0 scoreline. The people I feel sorry for are the home fans who paid full price to see Rovers Reserves without any warning.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
MM in his post-match remarks described the game as like an exam for the young players. From what’s been reported, sounds like there will be a few Es and Fs.

He also said Buxton hadn’t been able to train, with a stomach problem. Adam should take it gently, absolutely no need to rush him back for Saturday.

The goalkeeping issue I raised above remains. Looking at the league tables, there is a fair chance we will meet Fylde in the semis. Being aware that a situation might arise where Davies is unavailable, makes it important that Wharton is given some match time on Saturday. While I realise that it’s highly unlikely he’ll be needed in any game v Fylde, should that situation arise, it’s better to be prepared.