• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

solihull v rovers trophy match

Player
aldo
Well who is going im not as got shed loads in partying . Is there somthing special going on this month . Being a chef its not the best time of year . Lets hope we continue the scoring and put 4/5 past em wonder if kirby might get half a game . Would also give pilling a game wouldint change to mutch would leave cook and noors alone there on fire at the mo . Would also leave clark an Buxton as they are playing very well .

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not convinced this game will go ahead, as a sharp frost is forecast for the Midlands on Friday night.

There have been calls for wholesale changes to be made on Saturday, but I would only rest a handful of players: we have not played many games recently and we need to keep our sharpness ahead of a massive, possibly season-defining game next week. Micky has already said Clarke will play and I think we will field a strong side; I think at least three of Gumbs, Harris, Hughes and McDonough will start but the core of the team from the Torquay game will feature.

Solihull have had a dreadful season and their form has not noticeably picked up since the appointment of Mark Yates. Last time out they lost to a poor Chester side and we managed to beat them comfortably earlier in the season when we were in the middle of our barren spell. Even a rotated Rovers side should be able to make it to the next round.

Given the weather conditions and admission prices, I doubt more than 300 Rovers fans will travel to this one.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pilling and Gumbs should start maybe Green and one or two others in need of a game, think we will win 2 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've missed both the league games at Solihull, so might have considered going, but full price and the weather uncertainty have put me off.It would be a surprise to me if we even hit 300 fans for this one.

The manager seems to be suggesting a strong side for this fixture. While I wouldn't alter the side totally, Davies I think is a booking away from suspension, so it makes sense to give Pilling a start. If Banks' loan spell is not to be extended, then perhaps a return for Hughes. I can see arguments for inclusion of Gumbs and McDonagh.

It's certainly a game that we're capable of winning, but I wouldn't lose much sleep if we didn't and it least it will be sorted on the day.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Our priority is getting promoted not winning cups. Given the challenge ahead, I think the number one priority is avoiding injury and suspension to key players closely followed by giving fringe players including injured ones a game. For me, keeping the momentum going and winning this particular game comes third. However, we should be able to achieve all three objectives.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolutely no interest in this. Agree with BBTC above.

Player
Manager
John King
Pitch inspection at 8.30 tomorrow, so it looks like this could be off. If so, it will be a pain trying to fit the re-arranged game into the schedule.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not good. Let’s get this over with..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good, as long as my priority number one is met. (see above) A hard pitch makes it less likely.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm surprised, unless the plan is to get a couple of goals before halftime and give the likes of Hughes or McEveley half a game.

Interesting Davies isn't even on the bench.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Floodlights gone aka Swindon. We’d just scored as well!

Player
Manager
John King
What a farce. We should either get a bye or a replayed game at prenton park.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The replay apparently Tuesday night? I would hope that the side we send for that trip is nowhere near the one picked for today. Something like the equivalent of Maidstone away last season would make sense.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Total farce. Gutted for the fans and the players, especially Ollie. It will certainly be replayed, however unfair it seems. Pulling the plug out when your team is losing is a clever trick, but I'm sure this time it's just a lack of maintenance being shown up when the weather changed. This is clearly a club run on a shoestring. We really need to get out of this league before we get dragged down to their level.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness to Solihull, it was a local power surge which apparently caused the problem, which was outside the club's control.

With regard to the line-up for the replay, the team suggested above would be completely unacceptable in my view. A couple of hundred people, myself included, will pay good money to travel to the game and there is scope for making four or five changes while still putting out a team capable of winning. From what I have seen this season, a pure youth / second-string line-up would not be good enough even to compete.

As for the game itself, it was a lacklusre affair and a poor Rovers performance with most of the players not seeming up for it. An excellent free kick from Norburn did settle us down before the lights went out however. Individually, Pilling was solid, Norwood worked hard and everbody else was below par.

The total crowd looked about 400, of whom 200-250 were Rovers fans. Probably the lowest crowd we have ever played a competitive game in front of (461 is the record I believe).

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
What a bummer.
Frustrating for those that attended (let alone the players) and I feel for you.
It is though illustrative of where we are, park football and grounds for a significant number of games.
Solihull are no Swindle. I'm sure they will be apologetic and embarrassed by the abandonment.
Thankfully it was called off in early stead so it was effectively just a competitive training session.
Ridiculous that Ollie's goal wiped out but not Nors booking?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with CK that goals scored in abandoned games should be allowed to stand. Can see the logic of not chalking off bookings and red cards though.

While RLC has much more experience of watching our youth players than myself,this season, it should still be possible to put a competitive side out using a mix of out of favour/recovering seasoned pros and younger players. We had 5 players with first team experience in the side at Maidstone. Off the top of my head, something like this might work;

Pilling
Clarke McEveley Gumbs Solomon-Davies
Green Hughes Harris Mottley-Henry
Kirby McDonough