• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Solihull Moors v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Our next opponents have made a poor start to the season, although they did register their first victory at Torquay on Saturday. Nonetheless, they are a limited outfit and this game surely gives us an opportunity to build on the relative high of the late equaliser against Boreham Wood. The corresponding fixture last season saw our first really convincing performance under Mellon and kick started the season; let us hope the same happens tomorrow.

In terms of selection, I would stick with the 352 but start with the following team:

Davies
Buxton Sutton McNulty McEveley Ridehalgh
Harris Jennings Norburn
Cook Mangan

Buxton is a bit of a risk at right wing back, but we missed his quality on Saturday. Alternatively, we could start with Duggan and drop McEveley, but I would still like to give the latter a few games to bed in. Up front, we will miss Norwood's workrate and energy if he does not start, but given the dearth of goals it is probably best to play the two strikers who have actually scored a goal this season. I am a big fan of Jeff Hughes but his performances have been below par this season, apparently hampered by injury, and he deserves to be dropped.

Last season we took over 1,000 fans to this fixture during Mellon's honeymoon period. This time around, I think the Rovers following will be about 600.

Surely this is the game where the season starts to turn for us.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
"Must win game" is an oft misused expression but if ever there was one this has to be it. Despite their win at Torquay on Saturday, Solihull is the level of team we just have to beat...and no excuses. I wouldn't fault RLC's team, as above, but the lack of pace at the back remains a worry, exposed as it was on Saturday. On the bench for potential back-up I'd go for: Pilling, Norwood ,Duggan, Dunn and Gumbs.

Player
aldo
If we dont win an we drop moore points . We will be in poo good an propper . I hope for melons sake we win an start climbing the table . Dont think palios will wait to long if things don't start working soon. Cant play eney worse than the first 70 mins on sat

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our results against fellow-strugglers thus far have been two 0-0 draws at Torquay and Guiseley, although the first can be attributed to ending the game with 9 men. For that reason, I think Micky will be fairly cautious in how we set up for this one.

Can see the attraction of RLCs line-up, though personally I would put Buxton in the back three at the expense of McEveley. While I can see Micky holding his nose and picking Cook, suspect that Hughes will get the nod ahead of Jennings in midfield.

Agree with AM that a narrow win, probably 1-2 as suggested, is most likely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would agree with RLC team selection although bit of a headache between Mangan or Norwood partnering Cook up front.

I think Buxton has enough quality to play that right wing back role. Tempted to drop Norburn too as he's been below par although Jeff Hughes hasn't been great either.

It's not a must win game at this stage of the season but it would certainly be refreshing to come away with three points and few more goals.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Norburn started the season very well, but has dipped in the last couple of games with the rest of the team. I still think he will prove a good signing in the long term.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He better play Cook from the start !

M

Mal

Poor old Micky looked somewhat depressed following last two games. And frustrated with the standard of the officials in this league. I think for this league the players should try and emulate the way Lincoln, FGR and Cheltenham did. Not particularly pretty but incisive with a ' want to win" attitude. Whilst some of the play has been lovely to watch, intricate interplay doesn't necessarily result in goals. And direct doesn't always mean hoof ball from back. Given the poor officialdom, the players should just get on with things and not get so worked up.

Hopefully the season for Rovers changes direction today . 3 wins and should be back in the mix, with Tollit and Co gearing up for returns to add the unpredictability factor.

I know an objective is to play attractive football after Ronnie and Gary but literally pointless if you cannot score enough goals and bleed them as well.

Forever the optimist, I am going for 2-0 win although something tells me a silly goal will be conceded or a player sent off.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Buxton can feel hard done to with that selection. No issues with the forward pairing and not too surprised at what's been done in midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Davies, Ridehalgh, McEverley, McNulty, Sutton, Duggan, Harris, Norburn, Hughes, Cook, Mangan

Yeah Boz, I'd prefer Buxton in there but at least we have Cook, Harris and Mangan in there.

Player
Manager
John King
Buxton is probably not fully fit and it is good that duggan gets another opportunity.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Subs: Buxton, Norwood, Jennings, Waring, Wharton

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just look at that ground..
DIUllhDW4AAUy_h.jpg:large

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Get in. Norburn scores assisted by Cook.

Player
Manager
John King
Better from rovers and deservedly ahead. Match delayed for ten minutes as the net was not fixed to the goalposts....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes much better and seem in control at the moment.