• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Silkmen v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have absolutely battered them, some of the football has been superb. We should be out of sight and their keeper has kept them in it. Very frustrating.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit comical that equaliser. Seems to take some kind of deflection and fell to their player. Few desperate slide tackles couldn't prevent the shot. Rovers have looked good though. Seems to be working with Smith and Caprice on the wings, Connor is involved more with Norwood down the middle. Hope Rovers keep it up 2nd half. Macclesfield aren't looking great.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like Rovers switching off after dominating the first half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seems like we’ve lost our way a bit in this half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Disappointing result given it sounded like we dominated the first half. Now 3 points off the play offs.

Let’s hopw Micky has his shopping list out.

Player
Manager
John King
Disappointing, as we were by far the better side and should have won the game. In the first half we played our best football for some time, passing really well. The distribution from the back was much better with Buxton and Monthe in the side, and Micky again confounded the internet experts: the 442 with Jennings up front and Caprice on the wing worked really well. The second half was scrappier and more even but we again had the better chances. Macc were very poor and created next to nothing all game and, while we generally defended well, we gifted them a scrappy equaliser. Individually, I thought Ellis, Harris, McCullough and Caprice were excellent. Man of the match however was Connor Jennings, who was superb.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes there were some really good performances. I don’t think Harris gets the praise he deserves as he’s been excellent for a few weeks now. I also thought Ellis had one of his best games today.

I was happy with a point before the game so can’t grumble too much although seeing how poor Macclesfield were and how good we were in the 1st half I do feel a tad disappointed we havent come away with all three.

Player
Manager
John King
The players could not have given any more today and we were good tactically as well. We are just missing that extra bit of quality that would make us genuine promotion contenders. We should have won today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was it the substitution at h/t from the much maligned Sol Campbell that changed things or something else? It felt like the game could have gone either way in the second half, after Rovers had been pegged back at the end of the first.

A bit surprised that we didn't try this formation at home to Yeovil. Only one sub used today, suppose MM felt that a risk of losing the point was greater than the benefit of resting tired legs.

Player
Manager
John King
Campbell did make a tactical change at half time but we should have had a comfortable lead by then. I think some of our players tired in the second half as well, which is probably to be expected. Macc had more possession after half time but did not create a single chance I can remember.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We may not have won today but we were clearly the better team out there. Shows that we are heading in the right direction. Not sure where Macclesfield are heading, they looked very disjointed.

ADD

Player
Norwood
We were clearly the better side in the first half yes but the second was far more even and dare I say it they shaded it. Personally I see it as another 2 points lost - we are going to do well financially from the Spurs game but I do feel that we have been distracted by it and the fact we had 2 extra Cup games that we should never have needed with 2 home ties in the first legs. I keep hearing we are looking tired and jaded but Stockton and Mullin both of whom have not been playing full games were left on the bench whilst Nors looked absolutely shattered by the end. Having taken only 5 points from the last 15 in the League I would hate that we miss out on promotion on account of these games...

Player
Manager
John King
The squad would be stretched by now irrespective of the replays, and in any case, how can we raise additional revenue to strengthen the squad without a cup run ? You only have to read Palios's New Year message to understand how important the cup run - including the TV income from the replays - has been to us, both for squad strengthening and off the field work. It seems we are actually going to record a profit because of that extra revenue.

I would say that with the cup revenue we have a small chance of promotion, as we will probably keep hold of Norwood and bring in a couple of players. Without the revenue, we may have been forced to sell Norwood and would have zero chance of promotion.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was surprised there wasn't more squad rotation over the festive period, for example, Cole and Gilmour just having brief substitute appearances.

Player
Manager
John King
I was surprised there wasn't more squad rotation over the festive period, for example, Cole and Gilmour just having brief substitute appearances.
There was quite a bit of rotation. Smith and Buxton both started for the first time in a while yesterday, Ellis has come into the side and played several games, likewise Stockton; Mullin was left on the bench at Macc after an extended run in the team.

We can't use players for the sake of it; whoever plays has to fit into a system and be capable of getting us a result.

Last edited: