• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Silkmen v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Noooooooo...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Knew it was coming Ian. Another late goal conceded and a poor one by the sounds of it

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like Nors missed another easy chance. Yes works hard but it's costing us regularly.

We simply can't manage a game at the moment when leading late on

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very disappointing to concede two equalisers, one very late. How many chances did Norwood miss? Any of them would have clinched the points. We never seem to be able to capitalise on a one-goal lead.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Gutted. Should have won it comfortably, three great chances in the second half. Poor defending for the equaliser when we had not really been threatened much.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted. Should have won it comfortably, three great chances in the second half. Poor defending for the equaliser when we had not really been threatened much.
That’s worrying. Plenty of chances, opposition not threatening much and we walk away with a point. It’s a regular pattern sadly. Unable to kill the game off and will be the pattern for the rest of the season.

I agree with Sparky. No one can deny Norwoods work rate but he misses for too many chances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Norwood had one excellent chance in the second half, put wide and two others, only tested the keeper in 1/3. I felt we were fortunate to be ahead at the break on the balance of play and were more of a threat in the second half. However, we kept conceding ground and inviting them to run onto us in the second half and aided by a string of puzzling decisions from the referee, something like their late goal was always on the cards. Wasn’t sure of the merits of the substitutions either.

Player
Manager
John King
I am still fuming after that, and I don't blame Norwood or even the back four for the outcome. It was not a scintillating performance, but we scored two goals worthy of winning any game and threw the match away - again. Yes, we defended too deep in the second half, but we had actually repelled most of their attacks quite comfortably and I have seen us grind out victories from similar positions many times. Macc get a fortuitous free kick in the dying seconds, their player scuffs it horribly and we switch off and fail to defend it. We are not mentally tough enough as a team this season. Too many bottlers. Victories become draws, draws become defeats.

Individually, Norwood was my man of the match for his workrate and quality. Yes, he missed chances but he and Cook had effectively won us the game with their performance - or should have done - before we decided to implode. If the rest of the squad had Norwood's atttude, we would have four points from the last two games, rather than one. In midfield, Banks was good on the ball but he and Norburn did not do enough when we were out of possession and we were already outnumbered in the middle. As a team, we did not press the opposition enough all over the pitch, which again is a sign of low confidence or lack of character to me. As at Gateshead, I thought Cole was livelier than DMH who has gone off the boil. Defensively, McNulty was solid after the error for the penalty and Buxton had a good game. Eddie Clarke again showed his promise at left back with a couple of great forays forward, notably in the build up to the second goal.

All academic, however, as we are going nowhere this season. Eleven points behind Wrexham FFS.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
Just got on after another long day in the kitchen . Just dont know what to say eney more . We just have bollock ed this season up and wish it would end now . From a piss poor pre season . And piss poor recruitment. To piss poor start to season. . Well lets hope saturday is better . We are defo missing jennings goals and its abt time cook stopped sulking an started playing . Some of em need to get in the real world . Training 4/5 days aweek an playing 2 games . Try doing 14 hr days then taking 1hr to get home to a sick kiddie . Blood is boiling . Rant over

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Broadly agree with RLCs analysis, though I felt there was a certain inevitability about their equaliser. My MoM was Andy Cook, good finish for the goal, went close with a header and a few knock downs and flicks, which Norwood didn't always read, even tracked back to win the ball. Clarke had a decent game though he should have positioned himself closer to the touchline, when defending, something Buxton also needed to do at times and with DMH also positioning himself closer to the centre, wonder if this was on instruction. Disappointment for me was Norburn and Jennings near anonymous against their former club.

I did wonder about the subs. Presume Cole was injured to cause his replacing at h/t and Norwood had a frustrating evening, so could see why McDonagh brought on to try and hold the ball up. Josh Kay for Cook seemed like an unnecessary time-wasting change.

Last edited:

drwhoman

This team have clearly been spending too much time watching Liverpool. They too are totally incapable of avoiding losing last minute goals. Pathetic. As others have said, the team is going nowhere.

drwhoman

It is rather depressing that Wrexham top the table having scored one less than Tranmere 20 against 21 but their defence has conceded 12 the best in the league. They do not score many but they know how to defend. What do they say - you build a team from the back?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wrexham brought in 2 decent central defenders Manny Smith and Shaun Pearson in the summer, probably the best such pairing at this level. If you can keep a clean sheet, then any goal takes all the points. They didn’t look that good against us, but were still able to come away with 3 points. When the injuries/suspensions kick in will be the time to assess how good they are, but look like play-off contenders at least. Macclesfield were actually one of the better attacking sides I’ve seen, though we gave them too much time and space.

Read the yellow card McNulty picked up for conceding the penalty sees him banned at the weekend. Hopefully Gumbs gets a chance rather than the return of McEveley.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
Have said for a long time we are to respect full to the opposition and need to bully them more . Get in there faces . If we hurt one or two so bloody wat if we win i dont care. Thats all that matters. Thank god the ashes start tonight . Will be over there for second test. with my sister and her husband who live in aus cant wait hot sun blue skyes and ausy bashing

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You can imagine there were some heated post match discussions in the dressing room.

The chubby scousers McNulty and Buxton fed up with Nors missing chances. Nors saying we scored 2 away from home but Big Mac gave away a penalty and Buxton a daft free kick late on.

You wonder what the likes of mangan and Alabi make of all these missed chances. Yes Nors is a better all round player but it does seem mad that we keep missing chances but have 3 strikers out on loan.

God help us if we lose Cook in January.

Player
aldo
If cook and noorwood go we are in real trouble. Yes noors misses chances . But he is one of the hardest workers and if the rest of em put half as mutch effort in to the game we wouldn't be so shit

Player
Manager
John King
What people forget is that norwood creates a lot of his own chances out of nothing. He does not miss tap ins provided by others. If you score two goals away from home you should expect to win. As I said previously, I don't think the back four is the problem so much as the concentration levels in the team as a whole. We aren't professional enough in seeing games out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Who is that joker interviewing Micky after the game? Usual silly questions. Weren't the fans great and how long is ridehalgh out for, didn't Eddie Clarke do well.

Yes that's all well and good but how about why do we keep conceding late goals? We do we keep missing chances? Is it a good idea to send out 3 strikers on loan when we've been missing chances all season? Is he disappointed we've given them a penalty and a silly free kick for the second.

I'd calmed down a bit after last night but that has wound me up again. Yes back to the basics on the training ground but they've been saying that all season when it's been one step forward and 2 steps back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seen the highlights now. Both our goals were very good and credit to Norburn for setting up Cole for the first, which I missed at the time.

I still think Norwood should have at least been on target with his first chance, which arose from a defensive error, though his pressuring contributed. Overall, he had a much better game than Saturday.

Both their goals came from defensive mistakes. The defence should have been alert to the rebound from Davies' penalty save and while it didn't show the foul which led to their equalising free-kick, Banks was well positioned to prevent an equaliser.

With McNulty being unavailable for Saturday, there is the chance to try defending further up the field and see if that improves things.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the highlights myself. Poor at both ends.

Nors should have scored twice. Poor defending for both their goals.

Supporters Assc getting a message from the chairman shortly so I hear