• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Silkmen v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The reverse of the Boxing Day fixture and a difficult game. Macclesfield were tough opponents at Prenton Park and if Danny Rowe had coverted Lee Vaughan's Christmas gift, the game could have ended very differently. Over the whole match, Rovers were worth the win.

Assuming no new injuries, there are a couple of issues for MM to address in team selection. Firstly, should James Wallace start? It was a promising full return, with many positives. However he did almost no tracking back, whether through lack of fitness, or some other reason. The manager will need to weigh up the benefit of playing arguably the most talented indivual in the squad against the lack of protection from the midfield. On balance, my preference would be to start Wallace in a 3 man central midfield, bringing Maynard back into the starting xi.

The other issue relates to firepower up front. Andy Mangan's workrate on Boxing Day was exemplary and even though he's not currently hitting the back of the net, he should start. Norwood is capable of creating something from nothing, but was out of sorts in the last couple of games. Other options playing Kirby/Almond/Tollit as a second striker or one of that trio or Connor Jennings 'in the hole'. Suspect MM will go for the usual front pair.

Macclesfield will be missing the odious Brodie up front. Maybe a recall on the wing for Jack Mackreth, who curiously didn't even make the bench at PP.

Prediction: It looks like a good away turnout, though some uncertainty of exact numbers, should be well over 1k SWA. Reckon we'll get something out of this one, but probably not the win that would secure top spot.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz about the starting line up. My preference would be for a midfield diamond of Hughes, Wallace, Maynard and Tollitt to give us a bit more solidity away from home, although I did not personally think our midfield looked lightweight defensively on Boxing Day. Up front, I would like to see Connor Jennings play just off Mangan, but I think the usual front pairing will start as Boz suggests.

It will be interesting to see how Macclesfield approach this game. They started the match at Prenton Park in a 4-4-2 and were completely overrun in midfield, switching to 4-5-1 after thirty minutes with the result that the remainder of the game became a stalemate. Logically you would think they would adopt more adventurous tactics at home, but they might be tempted to start with five in the middle and simply try and stifle us.

On paper this is a tricky game but I certainly did not see anything in the reverse fixture to frighten us, and Macclesfield's home form has not been great recently. There are no frosts forecast for Macc before Sunday, so the game should go ahead.

Prediction: another three points for Rovers, watched by 1,200-ish SWA.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Apparently Stockton will be out for a few weeks but does feature in MM future plans as mentioned by RLC in the Stockton thread.

Regarding the game, I think they'll try and stifle us all game in the hope they will come away with something. They looked lightweight up front and barring any sillyness from our back four I can't see them causing us many problems.

Again, we need to make sure we are clinical as chances will probably be limited.

Player
Manager
John King

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wellens is quite complimentary about Rovers generally, though I don't agree Macc are probably the better footballing team.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought maybe Micky might have signed Richie Wellens for us, as he had him at Shrewsbury. However, it seems he let him go. So Richie may think he has something to prove to his former boss.

Player
Manager
John King
Heavy defeat for barrow today. Hopefully they will have a bit of a wobble now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Heavy defeat for barrow today. Hopefully they will have a bit of a wobble now.
It's been a great unbeaten run in league and cup since August. However, they have drawn almost as many as they have won so it hasn't been as helpful as it might be. I wonder whether they have been concerned too much to preserve the unbeaten run at the expense of going all out for the three points, which Micky seems to do.

M

Mal

Happy New Year to all. Cannot make Macclesfield today, so will have to listen in. Hoping for a good open game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Echo Mal's New Year wishes to you all. Decent turnout from the SWA, the home crowd a little sparse.

Unchanged xi, the only alteration is Mekki ahead of Ihiekwe on the bench. Maynard can fill in, but a little surprised

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Starting 11 unchanged by the looks of it. Still no Dawson in the 16 but Mekki on the bench along with the Jennings twins and Maynard.

Regardless of the result will be interesting if a Wallace wants to stay longer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Winning 1-2 at h/t. Great goal from Ritchie Sutton to restore the lead, but the quality of Rovers defending has been worrying.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Winning 1-2 at h/t. Great goal from Ritchie Sutton to restore the lead, but the quality of Rovers defending has been worrying.
Today they seem to be better at scoring goals than preventing them. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A dismal second half showing from Rovers. While the final score line flattered Macc, can't recall us troubling their keeper at all after the break

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Extremely disappointing after taking the lead twice. Great opportunity to cement our place at the top. What happened to our defence?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It wasn't simply down to the defence. For me the key area where we lost the battle was midfield and MM left things too late before making changes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Did they swamp us in midfield because we had enough quality in there?