• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Seyfo Soley

DWaltz

On trial for the reserves tonight, lost 1-0 though. Soley played alongside Broomes at centre half, had Ricketts playing too.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
This man is Football Manager 07/08/09 LEGEND.

Sign him up!!!!!!!

And he's Gambian! Like Sonko!

I'm very excited.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DWaltz, was he any good, from what you saw? Had to look him up on Wiki, seems to have played as much in midfield as defence.

DWaltz

He's big and strong. Again he is lacking match sharpness but he looked alright. So did Broomes, would like to see Broomes signed for the season to be honest. As for Soley he can play centre half, right back, centre midfield or right midfield. So I would sign him just for being versatile. He is a big lad I would like to see him play along side Goodison see what he would be like with Goodison. On last night's performance alone I probably would give Soley a contract to at least January.

I would rather have Broomes, Soley and Goodison as are 3 centre half rather than Taylor, Gunning and Goodison because Gunning and Taylor are just not good enough.

Daniels

Logan Soley Goodison Cresswell

Shuker Welsh McLaren Mahon

Moore Bain?

Subs:
Collister GK
Broomes
Edds
Barnett
Ricketts
Gornell
Curran

If we sign Soley and Broomes that squad is not that bad at all in my opinion, easily capable of top half finish.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Gunning...just not good enough.

I think your expectations of him are unrealistic. He's 19 and has never played a professional league game before coming here - as such, I'd grant him more time to 'settle in' than others. He's looked at least 'alright' in every game he's played in, and was particulaly good vs Yeovil. I would expect he'll improve quite quicky with experience, and as he settles. He seems to have all the attributes, tall, quick, good in the air...All things considered it would be well worth trying to extend his loan IMO, particulaly since this is likely to be a cheaper option than signing Broomes/Soley (would still hope to sign one of these in addition)

DWaltz

He hasnt played a professional game but that aside he isnt good enough. He has come from a Premiership team and his distribution and his positioning are both awful. He has played 3 games now and we have conceded 5 goals.

I didnt have any expectations of him, he came here and yeah he is alright but I wouldnt settle on him I dont care how desperate we are for a centre half. Id much rather sign Broomes or Soley or preferably both.

I know hes young and so is Ash Taylor but at the minute neither of them are good enough to be near the first team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I dont think the combination of youth and inexperience is helping at the back. Ideally, we need someone with experience partnering Goodison. Another Goodison would be ideal. lol

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Personally think that we need to think long-term here. Goodison, for all of his ability, isn't the player he was and yet is still the best we have at the back. Haven't seen Gunning, and Ash Taylor is a makeshift central defender, who shows promise but someway off the finished article. We need to accept that we can't rely on Goodison indefinitely and prioritise signing up some back-up on proper contracts.

DWaltz

Nope we shouldnt get rid of them all, that would be stupid idea really wouldnt it.

The first goal at Yeovil was his fault, first goal against Gillingham was his fault and MK Dons goal he was partly to blame due to positioning.

His positioning is awful as is his distribution.

Logan and Cresswell have been solid. We havent conceded a goal from a wide position apart from the MK Dons goal in which case you cannot stop every cross from out wide and if the ball comes across the 6 yard box there is no excuse for a keeper or a centre half not to get there before a striker. So I blame Daniels, Gunning and Taylor for MK Dons goal. You could blame Gornell/Shuker for giving ball away but from a defensive unit it was a combination of them 3.

Daniels overall has been impressive with good communication and some top saves. Goodison hasnt been fit.

Broomes played one game and we made a clean sheet. So I think Gunning/Ash Taylor are the weak links.

M

Mal

I fully expect action once we get to 5 league losses within the first 10 games.... You don't need to be a manager of a team to know where the weaknesses lie but you have to assume there is no-one decent available - after all, most of those available weren't deemed good enough for other League 1 clubs and released. Someone mentioned a deal to bring Shotton in by end of month, is that just a load of old shoe-menders ?

M

Mal

by the way, on a positive note, it's nice to see some non-hoof football consistently being attempted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mal, I don't buy into the no decent defenders out there assumption, there are ex-championship players still unattached. Or maybe the likes of St Kitts have a quality centre back to trial. DWaltz, I'm not writing off any youngster after a handful of games and Barnes obviously rates Ash Taylor or he wouldn't have given him a contract extension.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
The first goal at Yeovil was his fault, first goal against Gillingham was his fault and MK Dons goal he was partly to blame due to positioning.

You're kidding yourself. Glad Barnes agrees with me on at least one point though.

Mal, this whole "no one available/someone elses cast off's" blah blah is nonsense. Kay was once someone elses cast off, as was Chorley, as was Goodison...Richy Hinds was once ours, look at him now. I would have liked to see us go for Saah.

M

Mal

Someone listed all the players available, can't remember if it was on this site or Total Tranmere. Perhaps with me qualifying my statement with 'for the money we can offer', which is what I meant, you could check the list and make suggestions as to who is available for the money. By the way, I don't state that your view of there being someone decent for the money is nonsense....

DWaltz

How am i kidding myself? You make all these statements but you never back anything up.

"I would like to see us sign Saah" - on what basis? you have seen him place once?

And am not kidding myself on Gunning. The first goal at Yeovil was his man that scored? He was marking him. The first Gills goal he was the nearest player he didnt close the shot down, his fault.

The MK Dons goal is maybe a tad harsh but he could have done better cutting the cross out maybe not fully his fault though.

Today we conceded 2 goals in the 40 minutes he was on the pitch. I think I will be backed up with my opinion further when Barnes doesnt sign him for any longer than a month.

At least when I make an opinion I give some sort of evidence to back why I feel like that.

You just say things with no purpose.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
How am i kidding myself? You make all these statements but you never back anything up.

"I would like to see us sign Saah" - on what basis? you have seen him place once?

And am not kidding myself on Gunning. The first goal at Yeovil was his man that scored? He was marking him. The first Gills goal he was the nearest player he didnt close the shot down, his fault.

The MK Dons goal is maybe a tad harsh but he could have done better cutting the cross out maybe not fully his fault though.

Today we conceded 2 goals in the 40 minutes he was on the pitch. I think I will be backed up with my opinion further when Barnes doesnt sign him for any longer than a month.

At least when I make an opinion I give some sort of evidence to back why I feel like that.

You just say things with no purpose.

Lmao, chill...

I'd have liked to see us sign Saah on the basis that he's always looked solid when he's played against us, he's young but still has ~100 appearences at this level. Also going off the basis that most Orient fans seemed disappointed to see him leave and thought he was a good player. Mark Hughes, a supposed target whilst Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie was still at the helm, would have been a very good signing IMO having left Northampton with a high-reputation. Terrell Forbes of Yeovil was out of contract this summer. Shane Blackett is surplus to requirements at P'boro, and is a big, quick, young center half who could be worth a shout. James Tunnicliffe, 6"4' 20 year old center-half with 40 league games behind him signed for Brighton from Stockport this summer. David McCracken was in the L2 team of the year last season, and signed for MK Dons after finding himself out of contract at Wycombe. Stefan Stam could have been worth a look from Oldham, but Yeovil signed him. Swindon seemed pretty pleased to sign Gordon Greer from Donny. These should all have been realistic targets IMO, but I'm not a scout...it's not my job to find players, so I could be excused for not being able to rattle off a comprehensive list, but what are we paying Dave Philpotts to do?!

First goal @ Yeovil, from where I was stood (behind the goal), I didn't think Bowditch was Gunnings man at the time - indeed, Shuker was more at fault for not picking up the short corner IMO. Think you're clutching at straws with the others too, although I'm led to believe he looked well out of his depth vs Leeds. Watching the highlights now though, Goody was largely at fault for 2 of the 3 goals. I'm not saying Gunning = Maldini, just don't think he's done enough wrong to warrant this barrage of criticism...