• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Saddlers 0 Rovers 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After an awful first 20 minutes Rovers settled down to a solid display and an excellent three points, Walsall's first defeat at home in 13. Walsall will probably feel they deserved something from the game with the number of efforts on goal they had, but in truth Rovers looked very comfortable for the last half hour after taking the lead.

We started lethargically and sloppily and should have been behind when an uncharacteristic error from Buchanan gifted a chance to Hurst who dragged the ball horribly wide form 15 yards. However, we gradually improved with Robinson coming more into the game and were the better side for 20 minutes before half time, with our best effort a devilish free kick from the left form Robbo which struck the inside of the post.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with Rovers on the back foot, but we got the initiative from a deflected free kick from AR, who controlled the game from that point onwards. We could easily have conceded shortly afterwards, when Taylor made a terrific goal line block, but generally looked reasonably comfortable.

There were standout performances from Robinson, Wallace and Taylor, while Cassidy did much better outside the box with his hold up and link play than in previous matches. The substitutions helped us, and McGurk played like he was on speed when he came on and had a good half.

I must comment on Enoch, who was atrocious, failing to win any 50-50s all afternoon, and generally looking disinterested. A number of Walsall's chances arose when he failed to hold the ball when he looked favourite to do so, and they counter attacked against us at pace. It seems that his days are numbered at PP; maybe he senses this and that is why his confidence is so low ?

In all, it was a good response to the MK performance and cements us in the top half. A very disappointing turnout from the SWA, which may in part be a reflection of the previous two away matches, but I would hate to think some of the stay-aways were watching those two plastic clubs on the TV. An amusing chant from the Rovers fans today was, 'Wembley's a s****hole, I came to Walsall".

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Thanks for the match report, sounds like it was a typical midtable nothing-to-play-for match. Shame about Enoch, I'd have thought that he would be more confident as everyone knows RM prefers a big guy up front, ie Bas...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah cheers for the report RLC.

Enoch really is out of sorts and has no future with us I would imagine.

It just shows how things can change from one season to the next. Very good last season, and rubbish this one. Obviously our poor run under Les affected his confidence but successive injuries will have contributed and will he ever be the same player again like Shukes never was after his injury.

I thought someone like ronnie would have been just the person to get the best out of him but he seems to be playing worse than ever!

Back onto the result and well done the lads for an away win at a tricky place to go with walsall scoring for fun recently at the bescot.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. The match stats suggested that Walsall had the bulk of possession and a number of efforts at goal, but only four on target to our three. Stats don't tell the whole story, always good to hear from someone actually there. Walsall certainly had something to play for and Rovers winning while Wycombe only drawing guarantees our mathematical safety.

Enoch seemed to buck up when Ronnie arrived, but seems he has waned again recently. Maybe another Shuker, never the same player after a serious injury. Now we are safe, I'd like to see Cole Stockton given another chance from the bench, but doubt this will happen unfortunately.

Good Robinson is back in form. Some on this forum don't rate McGurk, but I'm glad he still seems to be in Ronnie's consideration.

From what I've read and seen, the Rovers turnout was fairly vocal; quality not quantity! If the match had more significance for us, would have gone, but with finances tight, I didn't. Was on Wirral today, but with Vauxhall & Southport away and Lairds playing last night, wasn't able to get a football fix. Didn't watch the semi.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Just seen us on the FL show, impressed that we wore black armbands for the hillsborough rememberance.

Footy-wise, we were lucky not to concede when they hit the post, but thats how these things roll over a season I guess

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Game was atrocious and we were lucky to be honest as Walsall had a load of decent chances which they squandered.

Small minority of fans made us look like scum with their behaviour and trying to be the big men.

Seperately, Walsall is probably the most horrible place i've ever been to. It makes Birkenhead look like heaven

DIW

Player
Goodison
Small minority of fans made us look like scum with their behaviour and trying to be the big men.

To be honest, it is this sort of moronic behaviour that puts me off going to away matches.

Player
Manager
John King
There is an element of our away support that turns up at local matches that I am not enamoured by, but to be honest I thought a lot of the aggravation yesterday was caused by incompetent and heavy-handed stewarding.

I agree with Boz about McGurk, who I think is a decent player but like a number of others was never properly utilised by Les. He is versatile, which is important with our squad size, has a good left foot and does weigh in with a fair number of goals. Hopefully RM will get more consistent displays out of him.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Yes it was a great pity about the behaviour of a small minority. However to be positive I thought that the travelling fans gave fantastic vocal support to the team and this seemed to help lift the players.
It was one of those days when we did get the ‘rub of the green’ and we certainly couldn’t complain about the referee. Walsall played some neat high pace football and we did seem at times a bit vulnerable in central defence with Ian Goodison not at his assured best – is he carrying an injury?. The team all worked hard and the midfield was good with James Wallace again showing great composure on the ball and John Welsh was very combative and effective.
Enoch does give the opposition something to think about with his physical presence and chasing down but regrettably he just cannot seem to hold the ball any longer and I agree that we were better once Adam Mc Gurk came on. When he had adjusted to the pace of the game, made some strong determined runs down the left flank and proved a good outlet to relieve the defence.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I agree with Boz about McGurk, who I think is a decent player but like a number of others was never properly utilised by Les. He is versatile, which is important with our squad size, has a good left foot and does weigh in with a fair number of goals. Hopefully RM will get more consistent displays out of him.

He's not good enough to compensate for the fact that he's so injury prone. Robbo fair enough, but we can't afford to carry the likes of McGurk and Devaney in a small squad imo. Say what you like about Akins but he is always fit and always available.

Enoch does give the opposition something to think about with his physical presence and chasing down

Physical presence? Appreciate that he chases stuff down a lot but I'll do that for a fraction of his salary if you'd like. Or we could bring back Craig Curran (can't decide if i'm joking)

Player
Manager
John King
There is no way we will keep McGurk and Devaney so we need not worry on that score.

McGurk has actually started 24 games this season (only six players have played more), and he has not been first choice for the whole campaign, so I am not sure he is quite so injury prone as you suggest.

My general feeling is that the majority of this squad is good enough to stay, and we should be wary of throwing the baby out with the bathwater by getting rid of a stack of players in the mistaken assumption that we will automatically attract superior replacements.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I agree ..anyway now les has gone ..the players won,t get as many injuries ,so no problem there i feel !

McGurk we have an option on and devaney would sign but do we need him... "There is no way we will keep McGurk and Devaney" RLC, complete boll---,s

Sign up RM/Fon Willams the goal keeper /Ian Goodision /A Robinson the rest will follow imo !

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Goodison was dreadful again yesterday, he's been increasingly poor for a while now

A Taylor Mccrystal pairing for the rest of the season would be nice to see

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
McGurk has actually started 24 games this season (only six players have played more), and he has not been first choice for the whole campaign, so I am not sure he is quite so injury prone as you suggest.

He has been first choice for most of it, but that stat is interesting. Fair play.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
In termsof comings and goings I think if we keep most of the squad we will be ok again next season with RM in charge. A note of caution though - obviously Wallace will go back and I think he will be top player and big loss to us, which might make it a tad less cosy.:)))