• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v York

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ex Wrexham gaffer Gary Mills brings his York side to PP on Saturday where a win for rovers will see them sit top of the national league for a little while at least.

York's dreadful run both before and after Mills took over looked set to end with a home win on Tuesday against Guiseley, until a certain Jake Cassidy got his 5th of the season with a late equaliser.

Danny Holmes has been an ever present since signing from Fylde as has Sean Newton who Mills brought from Wrexham where he skippered the side and scored when Wrexham beat us at PP last season. Similar to his time at Wrexham, Mills has brought in numerous players including another ex dragon in Adrian Moke and the battering ram that is Jon Parkin who isn't afraid to throw his weight around. Could be a good battle with Big Mac.

The visitors haven't won an away game in 34 attempts and lie 2nd from bottom with 17 points from 23 games. A easy home win one might say but many of the PP thought that when Torquay came last week. That said, I'd take another 3 points whatever the performance but it would be nice to see a few goals.

As for MM he has more selection dilemmas. Does he give Wallace a start as it sounds in midfield we were disappointing on Tuesday despite the win. Cook hasn't scored for a few games so is it worth freshening up giving Norwood a start alongside Mangan? Expect Vaughan to come back in and Liam R if both fit meaning Jeff Hughes available for a midfield berth.

Prediction: 2-0 win for rovers to take us top.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The apparent home bankers are often the slipperiest banana skins. York's winless travels must end some time, as must MM's unbeaten league run. Will the thought of going top put a lot of pressure on our lads? I'd be more worried if GB was in charge, as these were the sort of games we'd lose. But I think MM is more astute and will set them up positionally and mentally for the task. I agree with Sparky and anticipate a 2-0 win.

I expect more changes and agree that Vaughan and Ridehalgh will return, if fit. I also expect Wallace to start. He might be brave and drop Cook, but what a dilemma to have!

drwhoman

Yes indeed BBTC! Also, I see from MM's pre-match comments that Connor Jennings may be on the bench. Incidentally, regarding Wallace, you will not have missed that in his post Gateshead interview James acknowledged that he might have said some stupid things when he last left Rovers. He also commented that the club atmosphere is much better these days and that the National League is VERY physical. See how he goes injury wise!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As has been commented, a home game against a side in appalling form who have not away for 31 matches looks a home banker, until you consider that we have lost at Prenton Park to Boreham Wood, Welling and the rest in the last eighteen months. However, in the form we are in at the moment and with the options we have available, I can't imagine this game will see a repeat of those performances. York have been a case study in how not to run a football club in the last couple of seasons: McNamara should have been sacked much earlier than he was, yet remains at the club as Director of Football, and the appointment of Gary Mills is bizarre given the mess he left at Wrexham. The York chairman gives the impression of not having a clue. However, I certainly hope they are not relegated, after taking a beating from Rovers on Saturday of course.

Reading the players listed by Sparky above, it is obvious York have some decent options but are simply not performing. They have been helped today by the addition of Forest Green striker Rhys Murphy and defender Aaron Racine, both good players. These loan deals seem something of a coincidence and suggest FGR are doing their best to impede our progress.

In terms of selection, I think Wallace will start in midfield and play about sixty minutes of the game and it will be interesting to see which of the other midfielders are left out. With both Hughes and Wallace available to play in the middle I think we will use the diamond formation, but I have no idea which two of the three strikers will be chosen.

It would be fantastic for Rovers to go top, even if it is only a temporary stay, not least because it would give us a psychological boost going into the Lincoln game. I would hope the gate will be a few hundred higher than last week, and I would guess that York will bring 3-400 fans. Prediction: comfortable Rovers victory, hopefully with a few goals going in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We must surely be too strong for York. If Wallace starts we should be running the game in midfield and I hope our strikers have their shooting boots on!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sadly, I'll miss this game. A week or so ago, I'd have put this down as a comfortable Rovers win, but the Minstermen's frantic activity in the loan market makes them more dangerous opponents. There are elements of trial and error with how the new players gel and we have to hope the new arrivals at Bootham Crescent don't click straight away. If that were to happen could see a similar result to Chester. It will also be interesting seeing Danny Holmes' return to PP, wonder is he still being deployed in midfield by the visitors.

Line-up is difficult to predict. Agree that both 'first choice' full-backs will be recalled, if fit, as MMs post match remarks suggested. Would agree with RLC that Wallace starts, as a result of a combination of his positive cameo in midweek and the midfield area apparently looking a little jaded. There's a suggestion Hughes is carrying a knock, if so a diamond of Maynard Harris +Wallace Tollit seems most likely. Up front, it wouldn't surprise me to see a recall for James Norwood, who seems to be getting a little frustrated about his lack of opportunities post-suspension.

Last weekend's crowd was disappointing. Better weather may mean a slightly bigger home turnout, while the visitors should bring a few more than Torquay. Expecting something in the region of 4.7k.

Last edited:
M

Mal

I think players should not be allowed to transfer on loans to teams within the same division. Taking two players from FGR is a bit like cheating

Player
Manager
John King
I agree mal. As boz says, if their new signings gel quickly this could be a trickier game than expected, as they are all good players.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think players should not be allowed to transfer on loans to teams within the same division. Taking two players from FGR is a bit like cheating
I agree too, Mal. It spoils the integrity of the competition. However, we benefited last season. Dawson and initially Vaughan were loaned from our rivals. By the way, I doubt FGR are conspiring against us. I'm sure it's just coincidence and they are trying to cut costs and keep their players match-fit.

As an aside, I've always thought it strange that during the same season you can't play for two different sides in the same cup competition, but you can play for as many as you like in a league.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't see a problem with it, it's all healthy competition. And like BBTC says it can also work in our favour too!

drwhoman

Fair comment Ian. I suspect that FGR are having a squad review as Tubbs has been moved on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As an aside, I've always thought it strange that during the same season you can't play for two different sides in the same cup competition, but you can play for as many as you like in a league.
There are some limits, as Dawson was unable to be play for another NL side after going back to Kiddy last season, hence his stint at Nuneaton.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook and Wallace on the bench, norwood starts, ihiekwe at left back. Interesting selection again and the bench looks strong.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bench looks unbalanced though suppose Hughes and Maynard defensive cover. Think we'll miss Cook's height too.

M

Mal

Well, injury time winners worked for Man U. History will just show the scores not the performance level.

Mellon will probably explain choice in interview.

Dagenham at least beat Dover which was next best result to a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
History will just show the scores not the performance level.
Indeed and that was one performance to easily forget although playing against a 8-man defence does limit opportunities a little..

Player
Manager
John King
Completely agree Ian. A vital victory for Rovers. On the basis that we were the only team remotely interested in winning the game, I think we deserved the result.

I appreciate that York are struggling, but you will never see a team set up more negatively than they did today. Yes, their two strikers caused a slight problem at times, but they played a 5-3-2 and two of the midfield - Newton and Holmes - were actually defenders ! They came simply to stifle us in the middle of the pitch, and the ploy worked until the 94th minute. I actually thought we got it wrong tactically today, as the diamond formation was too narrow for a game like this one: I thought we were crying out for width, but the system we were playing encouraged us to play through the middle every time. Tollitt was tightly marked and could not find space and started to lose confidence and composure a bit towards the end of the match. When he did drift out to the left, he was given a tough time by Heslop. I thought a 4-4-2 would have suited us better. In addition, with York defending so deep and in numbers, there was no space for Mangan and Norwood to run into and we might have been better off with Cook up there, to at least hold the ball up high up the pitch. However, you have to give credit to the players for keeping their composure and sticking to the game plan and their passing game, rather than lumping it. Credit also to the manager for the decision to start with Norwood, who ultimately won it for us.

In terms of the actual ninety minutes, there is little to say as there was so little goalmouth incident. There were a few half chances for either side, York's best opportunity falling to Parkin after a mistake by McNulty (who was generally more solid today), and I honestly can't remember us creating anything in the second period until Vaughan produced a peach of a cross for the goal. Individually, I don't think anyone was at their best, but Jay Harris again battled hard and would be my man of the match. Ihiekwe did ok as a makeshift left back, but always turned inside in advanced areas, which hindered our progress down that side.

Top of the league and a good crowd considering we are so close to Christmas. On to Wrexham, where I think Wallace and Dawson will both get starts.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded a bit grim from the commentary I caught, with Parkin having a good chance to give York the lead after a gift from McNulty. However, we kept on going and got the winner. Would be interested in Micky's thinking with the team selections, though sounded like Ihiekwe had a decent game as makeshift left-back.

Decent crowd, but Dave Higgins on Wirral radio said they were very subdued.

Player
Manager
John King
The crowd did their best to get behind the team in an incredibly frustrating game. I just could not see us winning that today and (apologies for repeating myself) it was a match we would never have won under Brabin.

drwhoman

As has been said above a win is a win. Interesting to reflect that we are now 14 points ahead of the 7th based team and 7 ahead of the 6th. A long way to go but the play offs are looking quite possible. I assume MM felt that Wallace has to be eased back in.