• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wrexham

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers the better side and looking lively up front. Dunn and alabi have played well, particularly the latter.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looked as though McNulty could have conceded a first minute penalty, though those in the JK will have had a better view. When the visitors did see red for a second yellow after about 15 minutes, it didn't change things dramatically. Rovers have had the better chances but the extra man hasn't made a big difference. Might want to consider taking Jennings off as they'll be targeting him for a second booking.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Something badly wrong if you can't beat ten men at home. Wrong system, wrong players or just lack of confidence. I wait the reports. It gives me no satisfaction to have predicted the score.

Player
aldo
Wat a load of shit . The manager hasn't got a clue. Alibi was crap . Dunn was not mutch better . Rides dont get me started . Harris was frustrating an norburn is poor . We are in a relagation fight . Think mellon has run his course time to move on we are a very poor team 7of 7 games now no goals . And didn't look like scoring

Player
Manager
John King
An improved performance today, certainly in the first half, but the same familiar failings and ultimately another unacceptable result. The tactical changes did liven things up in the attacking third and contrary to other comments, Alabi played well in the first half, his touch and movement good. However, the manager has again chosen to leave our top scorer on the bench and for all the decent approach play in the first period, there was no end product. Predictably, in the second period Wrexham scored from a scrappy set play after Dunn stupidly gave the ball away dribbling in his own half, and from that moment on we huffed and puffed but did not look like scoring.

I don't have the heart to run through individual performances, but on the evidence of that game we do not have poorer players than Wrexham: Cook, Alabi, Norwood and Jennings all on the pitch and we could not test their keeper in the second half. The manager has to take responsibility for failing to get the most out of the ample resources at his disposal. Wrexham would kill to have those players in their squad.

Two points off the drop zone, no goals in eight of twelve games and things could yet get worse. I think Mellon deserves to be sacked on results so far this season and I can't see how things will improve while he remains in the dugout.

Player
Manager
John King
Just as a further point, how hopeless were our tactics in the closing stages ? Pearson and Smith are two of the best defenders at dealing with long balls at this level, and all we did was lump it long to Cook and Waring who had no chance. We were playing 442 with Jennings and Norwood out wide, which meant no genuine width (again) and no decent deliveries into the eighteen yard box.

Clueless.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I will post more fully when get home but we totally lost the plot after going behind. Prior to that it had been fairly even in terms of possession, not good given the man advantage.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says the first half wasn't too bad with plenty of huffing and puffing with Alabi looking ok.

Second half we started with plenty of possession but again created very little. I had a feeling they would score.

Once again I'm scratching my head at the team. Alabi did ok but second half wasn't great. Dunn was poor as well but should have been put on the left instead of persisting with CJ there who was poor. But he's not a winger.

Agree that cook should be starting but Micky seems to have lost the plot.

For weeks now we've not been creating chances. Fair play to Micky he changed formation but it still didn't work. For me, he has to go. Otherwise at this rate we'll be in the relegation zone which is unforgivable. Hitting the standards of last season was always going to be difficult but we've gone too far the other way and the manager must take responsibility.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don't want to harp on about Dawson again but we ended the game with a striker and an attacking central midfielder playing wide. Cook and Waring unsurprisingly got no service.

He'd taken Dunn off who is a winger and we had no options on the bench. Why not just put Adam on the bench instead of shipping him out?

Player
Manager
John King
I will post more fully when get home but we totally lost the plot after going behind. Prior to that it had been fairly even in terms of possession, not good given the man advantage.
It was not even at all prior to the goal, as we had dominated, albeit without really testing the keeper. However, that is not to defend the performance and I agree with Sparky that it is time for Mellon to leave.

Player
Manager
John King
Don't want to harp on about Dawson again but we ended the game with a striker and an attacking central midfielder playing wide. Cook and Waring unsurprisingly got no service.

He'd taken Dunn off who is a winger and we had no options on the bench. Why not just put Adam on the bench instead of shipping him out?
Disagree about Dawson, but those tactics at the end were utterly clueless. Even starting with Jennings on the left hand side was strange enough.

We don't have a settled shape and we have ended up with players regularly playing out of position, a la Gary Brabin.

Player
aldo
Even when we had the stoppage for the injured fan . Micky dont go over to the players . It was big eric an jacko who did . Looks like a broken.man an knows it . . Again the fans where great an tryed hard . Shame team didnt

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I said the same when we had the delay. Micky should have called them over and given them a rollicking or done some thing - but he just stood there hands on hips.

I genuinely think he doesn't know what to do now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure I can take much more of this garbage being served up. Getting beat at home to 10-man Wrexham, I think we have to say enough is enough now.

Yet again plenty of possession but utterly toothless in front of goal. No one taking the bull by the horns again.

Mellon does not have the answers, we are progressively getting poorer by the week and I see no way out of this situation until something changes.

How Alabi passes himself of as a footballer is beyond me. Dunn yet again done nothing. Cook yet again sitting on the bench, Jennings hopelessly left out wide. It’s all very very wrong.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just seen MIckys post match interview. Once again says one of the questions asked of him is ridiculous.

He mentions relevant points about low confidence but still says we created chances. Apart from Alabis shot in the first half I can't think of many.

Obviously not been fired yet...

Player
aldo
I will not be at the orient game as i have work . And being quite honest about it . Fed up watching slow shit football . Wonder if mellons gps is telling him to fk off . .

Player
Manager
John King
Just seen MIckys post match interview. Once again says one of the questions asked of him is ridiculous.

It was in fairness !

However, he cuts a dejected figure in that interview, and if the players need a lift is he going to provide it ? I don't think so.

Player
Manager
John King

Funnily enough, I was following Ronnie's twitter account today and he was praising Dawson and wishing him well at Darlington, despite hardly ever playing him at Eastleigh.

So if Ronnie does come back here in an emergency role you might get to see Dawson, which would probably please you on two counts. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McNulty looked like he'd given away a penalty in the opening minute, but we didn't make the most of the referee's generosity. It was a frantic opening to the game, in which Wedgebury having managed to get CJ booked despite aiming a punch at him, then picked up two yellows himself and the visitors were down to 10 men by the quarter hour mark. However Rovers were unable to convert any of a number of chances in the first half against a resilient opponent. CJ missed another good chance just after h/t and we even had the ball in the back of the net, ruled out for offside.

Things came undone, when Dunn, a little unfortunately at first glance, conceded a free-kick. This led to a corner, initially cleared but Holroyd fired in the loose ball and Wrexham were ahead. Cook replaced Dunn soon after, but despite plenty of possession, precious little tested their defence and Waring coming on for Alabi late on had minimal impact and a clueless Rovers lost 0-1 at home for the third time this season.

Defence: McNulty started badly and was a bit sloppy with distribution in added time. The full-backs did ok, but the quality of crossing was variable.

Midfield. Didn't seem to have much shape at times and failed to support the front pair. There were too many times when our opponents had an easy out ball, whereas applying pressure might have given them more to think about. Norburn in particular looked lost.

Forwards. Alabi has a dreadful first touch, seems unable to trap and control a ball, instead it bounces off him in random directions. He isn't that good in the air either. However, he had our two best chances, the one he created for himself by running at defenders and firing a shot at the eeper and the pass from CJ he put wide close to h/t. It's a shame he was too keen to get rid of the ball,probably a confidence thing.

Subs. Cook was very frustrated by the time he came on and picked up a stupid booking. Waring made little impact. Have to wonder why Mangan is so out of favour, as his experience might have helped here.

I don't see things picking up any time soon...