• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wrexham

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As if things aren't strained enough at the moment, we have our happy neighbours up next, Wrexham! This could be a pivotal game for us. Lose and it could really drag us down. Win and it might kickstart our season.

Probably not really any point discussing tactics and formations as we all know what MM will choose. Let's just hope we are able to produce enough chances to stick the ball in the net at least once!

Right now, any win will do.

Wrexham have had a decent start to the season and currently sit in 9th position. Only two points away from the top spot and five points ahead of Rovers. This is a great chance for them to move into the top five. Their current record reads five wins, three draws and three defeats.

Along with ourselves and Guiseley they are the divisions third worst goalscorers with nine goals. They are however pretty solid at the back only conceding six goals in 11 games, the meanest in the division.

I can see this being a pretty cagey, nervy affair. Draw.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Ian about this being a cagey match - especially if there isn't an early goal. The dragons last 3 results have been 0-0 at Torquay, 0-0 at home to Hartlepool and a disappointing 1-1 at home to Guiseley which featured a 96th minute equaliser from ex FGR midfielder Sam Wedgebury who we were linked with, to save the home side.

Wrexham usually include Connor Jennings brother James in their line up at left back. Other fairly well known squad members at this level are Scott Boden, Chris Holroyd & ex rover Jack Makreth.

As I said in another thread, the ultimate irony if we lose could be that Mickys first and last games in charge of us could be at home to Wrexham.

I'm just about still in the camp of its early days and we're still not too far from the promotion places - plus we probably can't afford to pay Micky off (unless we use the cash made from last nights England game!). Still plenty of points to play for.

The problem however is that for weeks now we haven't been creating enough chances - and whilst Micky comes out with the usual pre match stuff of we're all working hard and all that, nothing seems to change. Yes the lack of confidence will be a big cause of this, but I am struggling to see he has the personality to get the boys going and turn things round. Twice now we've had good parts of the season, equalising late at home to BWood and then beating Solihull, and beating Barrow in the 96th min - only to then not be able to follow it up. Will it be more of the same? Hughes giving their keeper catching practice at corners? The strikers getting no service?

As Ian says, any win will do to get a much needed 3 points. Hopefully that would kick start things although we've said that already this season. I really hope we don't go behind as the atmosphere could really be painful.

Won't predict the team or outcome - I'm still expecting 5-3-2. Would love Cookie to be recalled ironically against a side who were chasing him - but who knows.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The pressure will be on MM If we lose but unless he were to quit I cannot see us being able to afford to sack him even if that is what the owners wanted.

Will certainly be cagey affair think another draw 1 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wrexham have not won recently, but they have been having a much better season than us after strengthening over the summer. As Sparky says, they have one of the best defences in the league with the experienced centre back pairing of Pearson and Smith, in addition to Jennings. If Cook does start he will need better service than he has had in previous games, or he could be dominated by the opposition centre backs, as he was against Dover and Barrow.

I would guess we will start with 532 again, but with which personnel I have no idea. Whatever eleven is chosen, surely we will be more adventurous than we were at Ebbsfleet ?

Against a really solid defence I can't see us winning this game, and I think it will end in a goalless draw or narrow away victory. Hope I am wrong.

Although this should be a bumper gate, in reality I think the crowd will be around 5,500 to 6,000, with 1,200 or so from Wrexham.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Although Micky had been appointed and was on the bench and involved for the last Wrexham game at PP, think Carden picked the side that day.

It's hard to work up much enthusiasm for Rovers at present. The only certainty in team selection is McEveley is banned and can't play. I also think we'll stick with 532, probably with Gumbs going back into a back three. Not so sure that we'll stick with the Norwood-Jennings combo up front. I hope Cook does feature, but it wouldn't be surprised if he's an unused sub again.

Wrexham are an improved side this season, featuring Connor's brother James, who we were linked with under Brabin as well as the solid central defence RLC mentions.

Predictions: the visitors will bring a decent number, no early ko or poor form to put them off this time, so our best crowd of the season, but not confident that it will get beyond about 5.5k. Unsure how this will finish, but not expecting a goal-fest.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Recent form for both sides points to yet another 0-0, but I expect frustration to get the better of Rovers and for us to concede a sloppy late goal for a 0-1. I'm not often right and I hope I'm true to form.

The only way I can see us winning is if we score early on and get a second by half-time, firing up the SWA and silencing the visitors.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The only way I can see us winning is if we score early on and get a second by half-time, firing up the SWA and silencing the visitors.
Agreed. I think an early goal will settle the nerves and is essential if we want three points.

Player
aldo
All i won't is a win . Eney type of win . Just to take the pressure of the manager an players. Lets get behind the boys an make the place rock

Player
Manager
John King
From Mellon's pre-match interview it sounds like we might be making tactical changes on Saturday, possibly switching to a back four.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
MM seems fairly positive and talk of a back 4 is interesting. Whether this means a 4-4-2 remains to be seen as who would be the winger options?

Rokka I'm guessing isn't ready yet, Tollit and Kirby injured and big Eric has more chance of playing wide than Dawson! Have I missed anyone else?

Nors and CJ are options but that's another example of square pegs in round holes.

It could mean a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 but may result in not enough width.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What about 415 in the hope of scoring a goal?! Forget midfield, long ball over to Cook, Mangan, Jennings, Norwood and Alabi.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think there may be an element of hedging his bets. McNulty has a virus and hasn't trained much. It would be a worry having an off-colour McNulty being exposed in a back four.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think their front line will cause us too many problems. I think we need to get at them and get an early goal. That will rustle a few feathers. McNulty will be fine, he's a tough cookie.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If it's a bad enough virus to keep McNulty from training for most of the week, then tough cookie or not, he might struggle with the demands of playing a match. I expect him to play, but have reservations about whether he'd be fully fit.

Player
Manager
John King
Pre-sales including season ticket holders and away fans of 6,500, so looking like a very good crowd.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Alabi upfront with Norwood....Cook kept on the bench......just hope we win this game because I can't see the fans liking this at all if we don't get the 3 points.

Player
Manager
John King
Looks like a 433. Big changes, so let us hope they pay off. Ridiculous that cook is benched again and I hope alibi does not struggle as the focal point of the front three.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't really know what to make of this line-up. It is clear MMs issue with Cook still festers and this selection puts a lot of pressure onto Alabi. While I think taking Hughes out was a good idea on recent showings, there is a risk the back four being less protected. If McNulty is not fully match-fit after his virus there could be trouble ahead...

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, that team looks very open defensively. Hopefully we have got some goals in us today........