• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wrexham

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Paul Carden's press-conference on this game cancelled today, yet we don't have a new manager in place as yet. Puzzling. Even if an appointment is made, it would have seemed sensible to leave Carden in charge for this one. The uncertainty isn't the best way to approach a televised cross-border derby.

The visitors, with ex-Rover Martin Riley in their ranks have made a poor start to the season. However, Gary Mills has had the upper hand in the recent games between us and despite their own difficulties, he seems a fairly savvy manager, capable of adapting the way his side play to counter their opponents.

For Rovers, Jennings and Ihiekwe are available after suspension, no clues on Norwood's 'injury' Jennings would go straight back into midfield, less sure about Ihky at the back. If Carden has anything to do with it Duggan will start again, presumably at right-back. and rightly so.

Prediction: Given the timing and presence of the cameras, I'm not expecting that big a crowd; around the 6k mark with 900-1k Wrexham. How well Rovers do will depend in part on the context in which the game is played and we don't know that yet. While I'm expecting better than midweek, it may not be enough.

M

Mal

Well, it is unclear where Carden will fit in. Deserves to be treated with respect. Perhaps he will stay for a while until Mellon bedded in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I dont think Carden will be around for much longer with Micky abviously wanting his own assistant. Great timing I think for the derby game as it gives everyone a lift.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After Mellon's appointment I am sure we are all feeling much more positive about this game. I think we will get a few hundred extra on the gate, perhaps lifting the attendance to about 6,500, and I am sure the players have been given a boost. We are still seriously weakened by injuries and suspensions, but the current Wrexham team is extremely poor, albeit their last two performances have apparently been reasonable. Mills is under enormous pressure there and we should certainly be aiming to get three points.

In terms of selection, the Jennings-Harris midfield pairing is unpopular but with the players we have missing they should both start this game. Likewise, I don't agree with Boz that Duggan should be guaranteed a starting place. The lesson of Tuesday night is that we need more experience on the pitch and I would pick two from Ihiekwe, Sutton and Vaughan in defence. Further forward, we desperately need Norwood back, but if he is absent Mellon might be tempted to start with Jones again, as he is a player he obviously knows well. Personally, I would play Stephenson up front with Cook.

We are certainly due a victory against Wrexham and after today's events I think we should sneak this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree that we need experience in the team. Defensively we'll be OK, the midfield is a constant worry. Up front, Cook needs a bit more support and he wont get it from Jones. I'm praying Norwood is fit again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In terms of selection, the Jennings-Harris midfield pairing is unpopular but with the players we have missing they should both start this game. Likewise, I don't agree with Boz that Duggan should be guaranteed a starting place. The lesson of Tuesday night is that we need more experience on the pitch and I would pick two from Ihiekwe, Sutton and Vaughan in defence. Further forward, we desperately need Norwood back, but if he is absent Mellon might be tempted to start with Jones again, as he is a player he obviously knows well. Personally, I would play Stephenson up front with Cook.
I disagree. It sends the wrong signals if you drop one of the few players to perform competently v Gateshead. Experienced players like Harris and Sutton didn't step up last Tuesday and without committment the number of years they've been playing is irrelevant.

Player
Manager
John King
With the current absences we will be forced to play three or four youngsters on Saturday and to add to that total through choice is naive. We all saw the consequences on Tuesday night and Saturdays game will be more challenging. The youngsters need experience alongside them to guide them. Duggan should remain part of the squad and get further opportunities in the near future.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Assuming Norwood is still out, there would only be the need to field 3 youngsters maximum. I'm not classing Kirby as a youngster in this. If we played 442, there would be only a need to play 1 youngster out of need, either Stephenson or Jones up front. There are arguments for playing Duggan at right-back again, equally strong arguments for picking him ahead of Harris/Osborne in central midfield, which would leave a side with only 2 younger players.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Poor Harris gets some unnecessary stick in my view.
He ran himself into the ground on Tuesday and if others had followed suit we might have got something out of the game.
Great game to unveil the new boss and hopefully whoever plays will respond.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Cowshed Kid about Harris. He's a bit of a scapegoat.

He isn't the type of player who creates things - he is more about energy and pressing the opposition. Hopefully tomorrow against his old team he'll be extra motivated.

He wasn't great on Tuesday but that was largely due to the poor performances around him.

M

Mal

Crikey, again! BT stops us scoring ..... Actually, is this a record? Three televised games in 5 weeks or so, with three different managers ?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ha...good un Mal.
Three consecutive televised matches with three different managers surely can't be beaten.
It's griped with other fans who are labelling it "BT Tranmere"!
Please, please we justify BT's schedule tomorrow.

Player
Manager
John King
Assuming Norwood is still out, there would only be the need to field 3 youngsters maximum. I'm not classing Kirby as a youngster in this. If we played 442, there would be only a need to play 1 youngster out of need, either Stephenson or Jones up front. There are arguments for playing Duggan at right-back again, equally strong arguments for picking him ahead of Harris/Osborne in central midfield, which would leave a side with only 2 younger players.

It depends who Mellon selects. More broadly, we should pick the best team to win the game. Both Sutton and Vaughan offer more going forward than Duggan at right back and while Mitch has done well defensively, I would choose either of those two ahead of him tomorrow. We won't be tested defensively as much as we were at Dagenham and it is a game where we need to make the running. Likewise, when Maynard, C.Jennings and Hughes are available again, Duggan would not get in our midfield if I was selecting it. He is making good progress and should be encouraged, but he should hardly be guaranteed a start in the first team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It depends who Mellon selects. More broadly, we should pick the best team to win the game. Both Sutton and Vaughan offer more going forward than Duggan at right back and while Mitch has done well defensively, I would choose either of those two ahead of him tomorrow. We won't be tested defensively as much as we were at Dagenham and it is a game where we need to make the running. Likewise, when Maynard, C.Jennings and Hughes are available again, Duggan would not get in our midfield if I was selecting it. He is making good progress and should be encouraged, but he should hardly be guaranteed a start in the first team.

I agree Vaughan is a better attacking option at right-back, likewise Sutton when he shows an inclination to get forward. Duggan looks better defensively than Vaughan and positionally than Sutton, when operating as full-back.

Nowhere have I said Duggan should be selected ahead of that trio in midfield, but none are available tomorrow. The cameo v Woking suggests that he is perfectly capable of filling that role. I'd rather our own youngsters got match-time than short-term loanees.

Briefly on Harris; Jay has a habit of going missing when things go wrong. He didn't encourage/guide Osborne the way Jennings did at Dagenham and as an experienced pro, I expected more from him in the Gateshead game.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd rather our own youngsters got match-time than short-term loanees.

I agree. I also thought Harris was poor on Tuesday, although it is debatable whether he was actually fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Briefly on Harris; Jay has a habit of going missing when things go wrong. He didn't encourage/guide Osborne the way Jennings did at Dagenham and as an experienced pro, I expected more from him in the Gateshead game
Agree with that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think with all the hype now surrounding this game it's easy to forget this is still going to be quite a difficult game (remember last season!). The issues we've been having aren't going to magically disappear after MM two days in charge. I just hope the lads put in a really good shift for the new gaffer.