• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Walsall

Rovers v Walsall
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers are in action Tues night against Walsall in the Carabao Cup 1st round.

Admission for the game is as follows:

In advance / online:
Adults £12
Seniors, Young Persons, Disabled £9
U18s £6
U12s £2

On the day:
Adults £14
Seniors, Young Persons, Disabled £11
U18s £8
U12s £2

Tickets are now on sale from www.trfctickets.co.uk and in the Club Shop at Prenton Park.

M

Mal

have to admit i am not too bothered if tranmere lose this one. be interesting to see if MM rests players

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although it risks injuries, I think we have to be positive and I hope MM plays his best team. The players would benefit from another game together against better opposition than normal. Just as importantly, a win could lead to a big money tie.

Not having a reserve team does make it difficult to keep such a large squad match fit, so I hope Micky uses the EFL Trophy for this purpose.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not quite the Champions League but here's the prize money.

Based on the 2017-18 season, Prize money for the EFL Cup is given out as follows:
  • Round 1 winners: £5,000
  • Round 2 winners: £7,000
  • Round 3 winners: £10,000
  • Round 4 winners: £15,000
  • Quarter-Final (Round 5) winners: £20,000
  • Semi-Final winners: £25,000
  • Runners-Up: £50,000
  • Cup winners: £100,000
I'm sure City were delighted with their 100k prize!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The prize money is surprisingly low, nowhere near the level of the FA Cup.

I think we will definitely play our strongest side as this is an important competition. Walsall have started well in League One, winning on the opening day and getting a point away to a strong Scunthorpe side on Saturday. I think they will probably have too much for us, but if nothing else it will be interesting to see how we fare against Cook, Ferrier and Ginnelly.

If Sutton is out injured, it will be interesting to see who deputises. Although Monthe did OK on Saturday, I think Ellis is probably better suited to playing a higher level team.

It is just great to be back in this competition.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I normally like to wait to see what the strength of each team is likely to be, but in this case I think we will do very well to get through. I just hope we put on a good show for the fans and don't get any injuries or cards.

Player
Manager
John King
I have just discovered that the JKS is closed tomorrow, which is a bit of a bummer. I think it is sensible to close parts of the ground for friendlies and Checkatrade matches, but I would prefer to sit in my normal seat at the 'proper' games. The cost saving can't be that great.

Not a major issue, but there we are......

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
Ok the prize money is not great but if we get through and get one of the big boys then the attendance goes up . Wouldn't it be great to get Newcastle at home or at there place . It all helps how mutch money did we make in 2000 getting to the final . And it was mighty fun

Reactions: Ian
M

Mal

i remember a 70s game at PP against Walsall where it was 0-0 with about 15 mins or less to go and it ended 3-3... it stuck in my mind because it was such an amazing finish to a game

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In two minds about team selection for this.

Either we would benefit financially by getting through to the next round and the possibility of getting a decent draw, so worth fielding the strongest side possible, particularly given the lack of further arrivals suggests money is tight.
Or priority is the league, so rest key players to ensure they're available for league games.

Walsall have started well and it's almost a given that Andy Cook will get at least one goal against us. I expect Micky to pick a near full strength side and have no idea how the game will finish.

With regard to Mal's post, I recall a more recent game v Walsall think under Les Parry, which ended 3-3, after Rovers were 3-1 up midway through the second half.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Re: Prize money, the Checkatrade offers a much better amount per game so I’d rather we win some games in that competition.

Not fussed either way in terms of how far we go in each cup just aslong as we consolidate league position.

Player
Manager
John King
Regardless of prize money, I think this is a much more important and viable competition than the Checkatrade, which should revert to its original format or be discontinued in my view.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
It definitely is a better competition but at the level we’re at prize money is the difference between a mid-table finish and pushing for the play-offs/ promotion places due to consistency and what players you can bring in.

Only have to look at Lincoln really.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Checkatrade:

Group stage: £10,000 per win, £5,000 per draw

Last 32: £20,000 per win

Last 16: £40,000 per win

Quarter-finals: £50,000 per win

Semi-final winner and runners-up: £50,000

Winners: £100,000

It's all gravy I suppose.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
So does that mean the winners receive £290k if they enter in the first round and win all 3 group games?