• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Torquay

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Deserved win, but made it hard for ourselves. Game turned from comfortable when Tollit looked like he should have got a penalty and a minute later the lead was halved after a Vaughan error. Rovers then very nervy and the failure to convert the penalty (agree with RLC re this incident) didn't help.
More when I'm home.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The handbags stuff with the penno was a bit of a worry. Good to see Macca step in, calm them down and make the decision - pity it was the wrong one :(.
Mickey needs to nip that potential issue in the bud straight away.
Two misses on bounce for Cookie is going to make his case harder!
Some of the football today was excellent. First goal was from a short goal kick to Sutton, a couple of passes and a one-two and it was in the net.
There seems to be no halfway house with Mangs - either a great finish or a dismal attempt. He did look fitter today. A player to use wisely and keep fit which I suspect is why Mickey, knowing him so well, subbed him relatively early.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Expanding on my earlier remarks, this was quite an edgy performance from Rovers. Plenty of chances spurned by Mangan, Tollit and Norwood and the way McNulty was being too clever in our own box would have given the visitors hope. Sutton not at his best either, showing a marked reluctance to pass to Ridehalgh, preferring to send the ball back to Davies, who ultimately gave up and was bowling the ball directly to Liam. Both full-backs did ok, Vaughan's error for the goal aside.

I was a little puzzled at the subs today. Logically Hughes could have been moved to left-back when Liam got injured, he's played there for us before. However he was doing a steady job in midfield, where his height was useful, but it did seem a bit risky sticking Ihiekwe out at left-back, where so far as I know he's not played before. Ihky did nothing wrong, more of the visiting attacks were coming down the other side, but would prefer someone else filling that spot come Tuesday night. Mangan was having a better game than Cook, yet he was taken off, something to do with trying different partnerships up front. Kirby for Harris,was probably wisest, if a third substitution needed, given how the game was shaping, though it would have been good to see Dawson get a chance to stretch his legs.

The crowd was disappointing, unsure how much blame can be attributed to the weather.

MoM Andy Mangan for the match-winning goals, Tollit the other stand-out performer.`

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky said Mangan came off to avoid injury, given the lack of football he has had recently.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Cook thought he was going off until he looked at the number on the board. Understandable to risk injury to Mangan. Shame as he was having a great game.

Tollitt really frustrated in the second half. Absolutely excellent at running past players but his final ball was a bit of a let down. Still a great exciting young player though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tollitt really frustrated in the second half. Absolutely excellent at running past players but his final ball was a bit of a let down. Still a great exciting young player though.
Agree to an extent Ian, he often got into positions where he'd run out of options. Sometimes his own fault that the ball had run too far, but there weren't always midfielders/full-backs backing up to provide an 'out' ball. As things stand, Ben's only with us for a few more games and he'll be missed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We never do things easily do we. What should have been a straightforward win given the chances we created turned into another nervy home affair. That said, a win is a win so can't complain too much. Some of the football at times was good and agree Tollit was excellent. A few points though:

- McNulty was again guilty of over playing including a cruyff turn in our own box in the first half. Madness. Sooner or later we'll be punished and MM needs to have a word. It's fine if we're 4-0 up but he's done this sort of thing a bit recently and it needs stamping out.

- Subs. Like Boz I was amazed Hughes didn't go to LB when Liam went off injured. IHikwe did ok but it was a surprise. Would have liked Dawson on for a tiring Tollit.

- Penalty. What a farce and a bit embarrassing. Normally the opposition waste time to make the penalty taker have to wait and end up missing but we did it ourselves. Surely before the match they know who the taker will be. Yes it was Nors last season who had a good record and Cook missed one last week but its unprofessional If it isn't clear who should take it if both on the field. Fortunately it didn't cost us.

- team spirit. You do wonder whether the dynamics have changed amongst the strikers. Cook was the main man at Barrow and has been for us so far this season. Mangan is a favourite of MM and did well today. Last season Nors had no competition up top really and you wonder if he's throw his dummy out of the pram not being the main man anymore. He was crucifying Tollit at times today and looked to be a man possessed at times. You do wonder whether some of these big personalities in the changing room are clashing a bit. I doubt Nors is that popular, no matter what a good player he is.

A good win of course and things for MM to sort out but trust in Micky.

Player
Manager
John King
Tollitt was not that poor in the second half. He still roasted their full back every time he went at him and kept working really hard, always showing for the ball. His final ball was not great at times, but he did not always have options in the box, and we need to remember he is just a young kid who has only played a handful of games. He is probably the best attacking player in the league on his current from.

Regarding team spirit, I take Sparky's point about Norwood and, who knows, there could be some tricky times ahead. However, the way we applied ourselves for 80% of the game suggests the general spirit in the camp is great. We have made numerous changes in personnel from game to game under Mellon, but the eleven on the pitch always seem prepared to put a shift in for the manager.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Thanks for the match reports. Encouraging that we seemed to have been generally in control of the game and could have readily have won by a more decisive score line.
From the radio commentary it appeared that we played well in midfield but it was never clear how we lined up. Did one of the three play a holding role? Do you think Jeff Hughes was not moved to left back not to disrupt the midfield that was working: seems another option would have been moving Vaughan to the left as I thought he could play either side and Michael I to right back as left was a tough ask for him to play.
On the penalty debacle it sounded an amusing farce listening but having reflected is it four we have now missed this season? It clearly needs resolving as another miss will surely cost us next time. Maybe Jake Kirby could the be the regular taker when playing as he is a good accurate finisher or maybe Hughes who has composure. I have confidence that MM will man manage the strike force who are all clearly itching to start and be top dog. We will need them all fully motivated and performing to succeed.
I haven't seen young Ben Tolitt yet but from the various highlights he seems a game changer and what we needed. As said he is a very young lad and will learn to get his head up more and develop better spacial awareness.

M

Mal

We never do things easily do we. What should have been a straightforward win given the chances we created turned into another nervy home affair. That said, a win is a win so can't complain too much. Some of the football at times was good and agree Tollit was excellent. A few points though:

- McNulty was again guilty of over playing including a cruyff turn in our own box in the first half. Madness. Sooner or later we'll be punished and MM needs to have a word. It's fine if we're 4-0 up but he's done this sort of thing a bit recently and it needs stamping out.

- Subs. Like Boz I was amazed Hughes didn't go to LB when Liam went off injured. IHikwe did ok but it was a surprise. Would have liked Dawson on for a tiring Tollit.

- Penalty. What a farce and a bit embarrassing. Normally the opposition waste time to make the penalty taker have to wait and end up missing but we did it ourselves. Surely before the match they know who the taker will be. Yes it was Nors last season who had a good record and Cook missed one last week but its unprofessional If it isn't clear who should take it if both on the field. Fortunately it didn't cost us.

- team spirit. You do wonder whether the dynamics have changed amongst the strikers. Cook was the main man at Barrow and has been for us so far this season. Mangan is a favourite of MM and did well today. Last season Nors had no competition up top really and you wonder if he's throw his dummy out of the pram not being the main man anymore. He was crucifying Tollit at times today and looked to be a man possessed at times. You do wonder whether some of these big personalities in the changing room are clashing a bit. I doubt Nors is that popular, no matter what a good player he is.

A good win of course and things for MM to sort out but trust in Micky.

I don't think mountains should be made out of molehills just yet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree. Hopefully it'll be a storm in a teacup and nothing more.

Wallace can sort it out tomorrow!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to Brightonian's query about formation, on the o/s it was shown as stating out as a diamond, with Hughes the deep-lying one, Tollit the apex and Maynard/Harris in the middle. It wasn't something obvious and seemed to be switched to a more orthodox 442, though if we were to use that set-up again, there is an argument that Maynard should be the deep-sitting player.

Agree that switching Vaughan and Ihiekwe, if Hughes not deployed at left-back had some merit. Don't know Vaughan has a great deal of experience playing left-back though.

Norwood has missed 2 penalties this season, after yesterday so has Cook, but the circumstances of the miss with his own player putting pressure on doesn't help. Norwood also went for glory himself with a chance to put in a better placed team mate, only to hit the side-netting. MM has said that if a player misses twice, someone else can have a go at penalty-taking, McNulty, along with Connor Jennings and Wallace when available have done that job before.

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the formation, it was definitely a diamond in the first half with Hughes in the deepest holding / playmaker role; we switched to 4-4-2 in the second half. We were excellent using that system in the first half yesterday, and in the second half at FGR, and I think Hughes is better suited to playing at the base of the diamond as he is better in possession than Maynard and keeps things ticking over with his passing. In a more orthodox midfield, Maynard is better suited to a deep role because of his ball-winning abilities.

Regarding the penalty, I still blame Norwood. Cook was obviously the designated taker as he started the game and Norwood should have got out of his way in my view. MM said he would actually be more concerned if neither of them wanted to take the penalty, so perhaps we should not be too concerned.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It did look unprofessional but like you say on the flip side it shows the hunger and desire needed so maybe we shouldn't look too deep into it. I may have also been a but harsh on Tollitt who was excellent yesterday for a young lad. I guess I was frustrated as we got into their penalty are so many times but wasted the opportunities.

Not sure what all the fuss is about putting MI at left back. I thought he played well when he came on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fair point on the deep sitting midfielder in a diamond as opposed to 442, RLC.

Re Ihiekwe at left-back, as I said earlier he did ok, helped by most of the Torquay attacks coming down the right. However it would be preferable to have a player more familiar with the role deployed there if Liam out for a while. From MMs remarks this is more likely to involve bringing someone in rather than utilising one of our youngsters.