• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Torquay

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
After 4 points from 2 away games rovers return to PP with a very winnable game in prospect on Saturday.

Torquay lie in 16th with 22 points from 21 points and their last 2 results have yielded a point at home to Wrexham and a 3-0 win at home against Solihull on Tuesday. FGR loannee Kieffer Moore is dangerous at this level and has 4 goals in 2 games since joining Torquay on loan. Ex rovers loannee Sean McGinty plays at the back and one Nathan Blissett warmed the bench on Tuesday.

As well as Ihikwe did 2nd half at FGR I'm assuming Vaughan will return but its the midfield and striking options that will be interesting.

Dawson arguably needs match practice and this is probably a good opportunity for this. He'll be no use to us on the bench and needs games. That said, Tollit should play and Kirby was another who did well on Tuesday and arguably deserves to stay in the side. But is he better suited to playing away with his workrate etc? I'd also expect Hughes and Maynard to retain their central midfield positions with Harris on the bench. back from suspension. I've always like Lois who was excellent at the start of the season and offers height from set pieces.

Up front there are more dilemmas. Mangan has apparently looked sharper game by game but did miss some chances on Tuesday. Cook came off for Nors who got the goal but I expect MM to keep Cook/Mangan up front with Nors available if needed, unless he wants to rest Cookie or Mangan. Hopefully the latter can re-open his rovers account on Sat.

Overall I think MMs team will see one change from Tuesday - Vaughan in for Ihikwe.

Prediction: 2-1 win for rovers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Having to miss this game as at a mates wedding in leeds ! hoping for a win 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In terms of line-up, I agree with Sparky, unless Cook's substitution was not purely tactical and he was carrying a knock. Although if Micky felt that Ihiekwe had learned some important lessons in the FGR game, and it sounded like he improved significantly after h/t, then maybe unchanged. Wouldn't start with Dawson, but ideally bring him off the bench with 30 minutes to go, no holding back.

Green has got off to a good start with Torquay, while Forest Green fans are questioning why he's been loaned out. Blissett hasn't done too badly on the Devon Riviera either.

Prediction: This will be a lot tighter game than league placings might suggest. Think the crowd will be well down from Chester too ~4.8k with just over 100 from Torquay.``

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After the performance on Tuesday I can't wait for this game, although I appreciate it will be a very different affair.

I actually have no idea what the starting line up or even the formation will be. We got a result on Tuesday by playing a diamond in midfield, so I don't think it is a given that we will revert to 4-4-2 for this match. Equally, Ihiekwe had an excellent game at right back and won't necessarily be dropped, and I have no clue which of the three strikers will be preferred: Cook has been in superb form, Mangan was really sharp in the last two games and Norwood scored the equaliser on Tuesday. I suppose we should be thankful that with players returning from injury and suspension we have so many good options. I do, however, think Hughes and Maynard will keep their places in midfield. A week ago I thought this would be a good game for Dawson to play his way back to fitness, but there is no way Kirby deserves to be dropped. Like Boz, I would like to see Adam make a cameo from the bench if the state of the game permits it.

Moore is an obvious threat for Torquay, but I am sure the Rovers players go into this one full of confidence. If we want to win the league we should really be targeting nine points from the next three games, and as we play one game more than FGR and Lincoln in the next three weeks we have a real opportunity to make up some ground at the top.

I agree with Boz about the likely crowd and away following. Prediction: I can't see past a Rovers victory.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now we are playing well and the injury list is shortening, it's going to be increasingly difficult to keep everybody match fit and happy. But I don't believe squad rotation works at this level, so Micky should only change his team with good reason. On that basis, I'd keep the same team, if all are fit. I think I heard Micky had implied Nors was not ready for 90 minutes, so I'd keep him and Dawson on the bench. If we are not winning after an hour, they are both options. If we are leading comfortably, they can be brought on for a run out.

As for the score, I've lost the knack recently. I'd like to hope we can start to bang in a few at home, but even Micky is getting better results and performances away from PP. I'm going to go for 3-1, buy more in hope than belief.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed with keeping the same team. Dawson on the bench for a cameo if needed, to be fair Kirby seems to be playing well under MM so deserves to keep his place. I like the Maynard/Hughes combo in midfield and Cook and Mangan to start up front. Norwood did admit after the FGR game that he still needs to work on his fitness so a few more sub apps will do him no harm at all. Hope Mangan gets on the scoresheet.

We have to be winning these games if we want to be numero uno at the end of the season.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Last season our home form was so woeful that supposed 'routine' matches such as this were filled with trepidation and too often fears were confirmed.
Touch wood, it's a different kettle of fish this season. Will be disappointed if it's not a comfortable win.
Pretty sure Vaughan will be back.
Can see Nors starting with BT on bench.
Looking at other games, hard to see too much change in positions come 5 o'clock.
The plus side is that the more the top five win the greater the gap to the also rans.
As an aside, sorry to hear of the death of Paul Futcher. I'm sure Chester will do their tributes. You've got to be an old arse to remember him and he didn't even play for SWA. Great footballing family.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any team on their day can beat another in this league. It's not easy to predict.

Fog forecast tomorrow, hope the game will be able to go ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure this one will go ahead. Minus 2 outside at the moment and the temperature is only going to get up to 2 degrees tomorrow, plus fog.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We haven't had any games postponed because of the weather for some time. I hope it goes ahead so we can keep up the momentum.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks RLC. Delayed setting off pending some indication of how the land lies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Twitter: It's a bit chilly but no expected issues here at Prenton Park for today's game #TRFC

I think barring thick fog, it'll be fine. Wrap up warm!

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting team, with harris and Vaughan back in. Looks like a 4312 with tollitt behind cook and mangan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Looks a bit misty on the Twittercam, but at least you can see across the pitch. Hopefully, it will get no worse.
Interesting team, with harris and Vaughan back in. Looks like a 4312 with tollitt behind cook and mangan.
For that formation, he's picked the right players and will have a Plan B with great options on the bench.

Looks a bit misty on the Twittercam, but at least you can see across the pitch. Hopefully, it will get no worse.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bit surprised Kirby dropped. Misty Rock Ferry, not so bad PP, but no predicting the weather.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Deserve to be ahead at h/t, could be more comfortable BUT too much showboating in the defensive area means Torquay not out of it yet.

Player
Manager
John King
A good performance and a deserved victory for Rovers, but slightly frustrating that the scoreline does not reflect our dominance. A defensive error by Vaughan gifted Torquay a goal they did not deserve, and made the last twenty minutes more nervous than they should have been: Rovers created numerous chances and should really have been more than two ahead by the time that goal was scored.

As in recent matches I thought some of the football we played was excellent. Ben Tollitt was instrumental in this, both when playing in the hole in the first half and when he switched out wide in the second. His work in the build up to the first goal was terrific but it is noticeable that his final ball from wide areas is not as good as when he plays down the middle, which is something for him to work on. He had their right back on toast in the second half, however. I thought there were good individual displays throughout the team, but the pick of the other players were Harris and Mangan, who was a constant threat with his movement and energy and finished both goals brilliantly. It is hard to criticise the forwards, who have been superb this season, but we really should have scored more than two today and were wasteful in front of goal at times. In the final twenty minutes Torquay threw Blissett on and committed men forward, but it was actually Rovers who continued to create the better chances and it did not feel like an equaliser was imminent.

On the negative, the only real opportunities Torquay had in the game resulted from Rovers, and in particular Big Mac, overplaying at the back and losing the ball in midfield. I love the style of football we play under Mellon and it is great that we are playing out from the back, but there are occasions when the ball simply has to go long and there were too many stepovers in our own eighteen yard box from Steve today. Regarding the penalty incident, my view is that Norwood's behaviour was unprofessional and unacceptable. Cook was clearly the nominated penalty taker and by getting in his face and arguing James simply unsettled him, with the result that he missed. Still, all is well that ends well.

On the positive, MM once again showed his tactical flexibility, making changes in personnel and switching from 4312 to 442 in the second half without adversely affecting the performance.

A vital victory with FGR losing, although Barrow and Lincoln show no signs of stalling. A slightly disappointing crowd, but I would imagine the freezing weather put a few people off. I hope Ridehalgh's injury is not too bad, as that is the one position where we do not have cover.

On to Gateshead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Torquay were never in the game until we gifted them a goal. Too much faffing about at the back. Pleased for Mangan getting a couple but he missed some other great chances.

Game should have been over at half time but final balls and finishing weren't great.

The penalty shenanigans was a joke, they should be more professional.

However three points off the top. MM excellent unbeaten league record continues.