• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Sutton Utd

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Games coming thick and fast at the start of the season. It's touch and go whether I'll be able to make this one. A narrow injury time win against Sutton kept our hopes of automatic promotion flickering a little longer last season. Athough their best player, Roarie Deacon has moved to Scotland to play, they have recruited wisely and with a clued up manager in Paul Doswell, this will not be an easy fixture again.

Probably the only decision for MM, unless there are unreported fitness doubts, is whether McNulty or Sutton starts at the back. I can see the argument both ways, but expect McNulty to get the nod.

Prediction: With Blue Scouse at home and the visitors unlikely to bring that many, don't expect the crowd will be much up on Woking, maybe around 4.8k. Expecting a tighter game, but one we should edge.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that Sutton have recruited well and could even be an outside bet for the play-offs. Ross Lafayatte in particular is a handful and last week our opponents had an impressive win against Orient. However, their away form is generally not great and this is a game I would still expect us to win.

From Micky's comments today it seems almost certain McNulty will start, as surely will Cook. I think the crowd will top 5,000 and after the football we played on Tuesday night, I am looking forward to it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree no wholesale changes - at most the one mentioned above. After their FA Cup run, Sutton have a bit of money, which they seem to have used well. A win is not a given and I would not be surprised if we dropped a point. I am predicting 1-1. Hope I'm wrong.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Subject to no injuries, I'll go for an unchanged team.
After Tuesdays performance really looking forward to it.
Out on the lash in Chester straight after game, via Gallaghers, so hope my spirits won't be dampened.
Just watched the extended highlights from Tuesday again and we did look a very confident, accomplished side.
Let's hope we're not all on here 5 o'clock tomorrow complaining about flashes in pans.
Oh...of course....provided our paper tickets havent been cancelled because we have a third issue of cards....which no-one can find :)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When this is all sorted the club owes all you season ticket holders an explanation, an apology and something as compensation, but don't hold your breath!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
When this is all sorted the club owes all you season ticket holders an explanation, an apology and something as compensation, but don't hold your breath!
I think they've pointed fingers at everyone else apart from themselves.

Back to the game, I think unchanged apart from McNulty back in defence for Sutton.

3-0 win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
they are a good home side on their artificial pitch but fairly poor away think we will win 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly surprised McNulty not recalled, but as Sutton did little wrong in a game we won, understandable. Dependent on Wirral Radio for my match news today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Losing 0-1. Sounds like the defence switched off, after a bright start for Rovers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm still on hols but bench has 3 strikers and seemingly no wide midfield option?? Sub options look a bit disjointed

Player
Manager
John King
Poor so far. Sutton are very physical, disrupting the game but with some dangerous individuals. We have not really got going. Cook too isolated, though he has been unlucky with a couple of chances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Alabi on for Dunn. Agree with Sparky about the bench, Duggan or Rokka instead of Waring would give us more options.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like another poor red but no excuse. Sutton physical but again we have to deal with it.

Cook isolated is nothing new. If we're playing someone as good in the air as cook then he needs crosses and people close to him to pick up knock downs. 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 doesn't suit this.

I'm guessing it's too narrow

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like Alabi for Dunn at half time hasn't worked. Was he injured as sounds like Jack was doing ok and we don't have any other wide midfield options today

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It doesn't sound good from Rovers, apparently no shot on target(this half?) though Cook did hit the bar. Mangan on for Harris.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep. Higgy saying 4 forwards on, at home, but creating nothing. Mickys selection and lack of creative midfielders must have contributed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lost 0-1. Sounded like a professional performance from the visitors and Rovers didn't test them enough. McEveley in particular seemed to struggle and Alabi ineffective. Disappointing.

Player
Manager
John King
From the sublime to the ridiculous. Today's performance was as poor as we have seen under Mellon: I thought we were basically bullied by Sutton all over the pitch, failing to win the 50:50 challenges that would then allow us to go and play our football. When we did have possession, our passing and movement was not good enough. Yes, we were not helped by the gamesmanship and time-wasting of the opposition and an inept referee, but we all know the score by now. If we can't deal with opponents like today's we won't be promoted.

Tactically, Cook was too isolated in the first half and I agreed with Mellon's decision to switch to two strikers with Jennings behind. However, the change had little positive effect, with the quality of our midfield play not good enough to create, and Alibi completely ineffective. At the other end of the pitch, McEveley struggled badly against Lafayette, his afternoon summed up by his near own goal off the post at the end. Against a physical team like Sutton, it would have been better to start with McNulty.

The point about a lack of width on the bench is reasonable. However, we changed formation three times today and none of them worked. We simply were not good enough on the day. I can't think of a single player who performed, and we did not show enough spirit or belief when things went against us.

Early days, but last season we ground out results against the lesser teams who came to frustrate and spoil, so we have to hope today was just a one-off.