• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
the fan park was packed hope they mad the money for the roof im sure the club could add the rest to it . was annoyed with radio crap mside again no coverage of the game . if it was the red crap or that other lot they would have the full load shame on then crap radio rant over
I can't believe Radio Merseyside did not cover the game. That is absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps Wirral licence payers should get a rebate ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The gap between the two team showed in the end, what disappointed me was that we didn't really get stuck in enough during the second half, when you look back at their goals there is hardly a challenge made.

Anyway onwards and upwards to the league next week

ADD

Player
Norwood
Disappointing in terms of the scoreline and an embarrassing scoreline/ comments plastered all over the press this morning. That said the effort in the first half was laudable - and even in the second when our play dropped the boys did at least keep going. A couple of good saves early on by Davies kept the confidence up - shame we couldn't make it to half time level. Also felt we would have been better having Stockton up front as we had zero outlet when we did get to clear our lines. Not sure this formation is the way to go even against L2 opposition never mind against Champions League opposition. Overall a chastening experience but a great night for the fans who kept positive despite the goals flying in and great to see a "fullish" PP.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I have watched the whole game back
Glutton for punishment!
Looked at their goals again. We were a bit unlucky for the third; goal almost cleared off the line and the one which followed the ball getting stuck under Monthe's feet. Of the 7, only one that Scott might think he could have saved. Looking back, think we could have made things more difficult for them, tried to break play up a bit more, but think the outcome would be similar; a heavy defeat.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think the 532 formation was the right one for the game. With a 442 or any more open system the outcome could have been worse. 532 can still be effective away from home in the league as well.

Player
Manager
John King
0-7 is apparently a record home defeat in all competitions for Rovers.
We must have a poorer record against Spurs than any other club in the ninety two. Our record defeats, home and away, are both against Tottenham and most of our matches with them have resulted in thrashings.

The scoreline does not get any easier to take several hours on, but I still enjoyed the overall occasion. There was a buzz around the place, both in the tent and in the ground, and the atmosphere was a lot better than I expected.

There were some nice touches of class as well. I thought it was good of our fans to give Son an ovation when he went off, and also nice of Pochettino to give our fans a chance to see Kane at Prenton Park, although I did not completely appreciate the gesture at six nil down. The majority of the Spurs fans in the ground and on social media also seemed ok, and were quite respectful.

Player
Manager
John King
Son was named 'Best footballer in Asia' for the fourth time today. Just puts it in perspective.....

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We're a club that's pulling it's own teeth out to get kids part of SWA.
MP has said, rightly, get them on board now and they'll stick with us.
Accepting that, unless miracles do happen, there's little chance of those kids seeing Kane on the pitch, in the flesh.
And now they'll say they saw Kane score at PP!
I'm far from being a Spurs admirer, but kudos to them for putting him on. It was nothing to do with "rubbing it in".
Let's be honest, how many of us would have taken that result before the Southport replay if that was the reward for beating them?
It's nice to look at the old giant killing days and think we can do it again but the gulf nowadays between the big players in the Premier and us is a chasm.
Lick our wounds over the weekend while counting the dosh!

Player
Manager
John King
It's nice to look at the old giant killing days and think we can do it again but the gulf nowadays between the big players in the Premier and us is a chasm.
If we were still a Championship side, I think we would have a reasonable chance against a lot of Premier League teams. A lot of League Two sides have got reasonable results against top flight opposition today. However, the gulf between the Champions League teams and the rest of that division, let alone clubs at our level, is enormous.

When we played Spurs in the eighties they basically had Gascoigne, Lineker and a bunch of players who were pretty unexceptional. Even without considering Son and Ali, the 'squad' players they played last night included Lucas (ex-PSG), Aurier (ex-PSG) and Lorenthe (ex-Juventus and a World Cup winner). It is a different world.

Player
aldo
i enjoyed it . we new that it was gonna be hard the way they passed it making are lads run . more than they would in eney given match . its what you expect . kanes wages are more in 1 month than the whole tranmere team get on a year . it was good seeing some of there big guns out . lets get over it and move on . with what matt jones has said there are another 2 new players comming in the next few days assume one is miller .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even without considering Son and Ali, the 'squad' players they played last night included Lucas (ex-PSG), Aurier (ex-PSG) and Lorenthe (ex-Juventus and a World Cup winner). It is a different world.
Exactly what I’ve been telling people. There are different leagues but that was a different world. They have exceptional players.

There are Premiership teams and then there there are Premiership teams. They are part of the elite. It was great to see as we dont get to watch players of that quality too often.

It was a nice distraction and financial beneficial but now we return to the real challenge and getting us into those play off positions.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to make us feel a bit better, Rotherham of the Championship were beaten seven nil by Man City today. Elsewhere, Oldham knocked out Fulham.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rovers 0, Spurs 7; City 7, Rotherham 0; Everton 2, Lincoln 1; Fulham 1, Oldham 2, Gillingham 1, Cardiff 0. What these results tell me is that the top sides in the Premier League are a class above the rest and probably two classes above the relegation zone. Oldham are no better than us, but there's the world of difference between facing a rampant, in form Champions League side and a struggling Premiership team low on confidence.

Player
Manager
John King
There have been some bizarre and bitter posts on the Southport forum in the last couple of days regarding the Spurs game, particularly strange as I did not think there was any particular animosity from us towards them in the previous round. A lot of us thought we were going to lose the replay.

Some of them are actually deluded enough to think they would have given Spurs more of a game than we did. We beat them fair and square and it was a great night for our club, irrespective of the scoreline.

Contrary to what they are claiming, we sold the stadium out in two hours and the only empty seats in the ground were those of Spurs fans who did not turn up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Newport holding their own against Leicester at the moment and winning 1-0

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Newport 2 Leicester 1....Well that shows it can be done if you have a go from the start rather than trying to park the bus and run yourself into the ground chasing shadows for 60 minutes. Better to have a go and lose 0- 7 than surrender the initiative, park the bus oh and lose 0-7. Tactical error on the manager's part and so disappointing particularly after him saying " a fantastic opportunity for the Football Club to go and announce to the footballing world that it's still here"...and ..."They (the Tranmere players) will go out there.....and give it a right go". The financial position may well have improved as a result of this match but the club's image in the eyes of the footballing public will not have been enhanced one iota.
Well back to the league and let's hope this result doesn't adversely impact on the team morale.

Player
Manager
John King
Newport 2 Leicester 1....Well that shows it can be done if you have a go from the start rather than trying to park the bus and run yourself into the ground chasing shadows for 60 minutes. Better to have a go and lose 0- 7 than surrender the initiative, park the bus oh and lose 0-7. Tactical error on the manager's part and so disappointing particularly after him saying " a fantastic opportunity for the Football Club to go and announce to the footballing world that it's still here"...and ..."They (the Tranmere players) will go out there.....and give it a right go". The financial position may well have improved as a result of this match but the club's image in the eyes of the footballing public will not have been enhanced one iota.
Well back to the league and let's hope this result doesn't adversely impact on the team morale.
Leicester's reserves are in a completely different class to the Spurs team we faced. We did 'give it a go' but Spurs were so good in possession we could not get near them for the most part. We could not get enough of the ball to mount serious attacks.

What would you have done differently tactically ? Hoofed long balls ? Hacked down Son and Ali resulting in red cards ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We could play them another 10 times and would not win a single game with different tactics. They were on another planet. Let’s just enjoy the experience.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What would you have done differently tactically ? Hoofed long balls ? Well that's all we did do for the first 60 minutes when we actually had any possession, and lets face it we've certainly had plenty of practice over the last couple of months. Who said it was necessary to hack anyone down? I didn't. Why did we wait until we were 4 goals down before changing our shape and endeavouring to play some attacking football? The sitting back tactic employed for the first hour invited them on to us continuously,( I think the stats show they had 77% possession in the 1st half) resulting in our static defence being dragged continually all over the place before being carved open with ease time and time again as the inevitable fatigue set in. Let's be honest we were lucky it was only 7 in the end.
We could play them another 10 times and would not win a single game with different tactics...….most probably right Ian, we were never going to win this game anyway but we could have at least come away with our heads up for at least having had a go from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.