• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Southport

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be honest, without Banks we should be able to beat a team two leagues below us. There should be plenty enough quality in the side to go out there and get the job done. That's what's so frustrating about these cup games. Having said that, I think we'll go there and do a decent job just like we did against Oxford.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Replay on Monday 17th on BT Sport. Only 2 days recovery from the Notts County away game on Saturday the 15th

Player
aldo
Just wish it was the BBC . I'm working the Mon night . Oh well its more money . Just hope we do are selves justice and do the job properly

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was reading the Southport forum and their pick of our players was Jonny Smith. It would be good if he could regain his early season form.
Yes, I thought there were encouraging signs on Sunday. We are really going to need his creativity in the next few weeks with the injuries we have.

Player
Manager
John King
The ticket arrangements for Rovers fans for the replay seem pretty shambolic. No priority for season ticket or points holders, just general sale from 9am on Thursday morning.

All the sales are online and I can see Southport's system struggling to cope. Pretty frustrating for the regular away fans who get no priority at all for this match.

Player
Manager
John King
If the rumours about Banks and Mullin being out are true, I would switch to a five man midfield for the time being, certainly for the cup replay, with Cole or Jennings playing behind Norwood. We need to get control of games again in the middle of the pitch and pass the ball as we were in the early months of the season.

I think at Southport it is vital that we keep the ball on the deck and play football. If it becomes a physical, direct game we negate our key advantage over the opposition - our greater skill.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Anything more known about Cole’s absence on Sunday? If we’re playing a lot of longer balls again, is there not a case for having a bigger striker like Stockton up front in the hope some of them will stick?

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we should be playing long balls, or at least not as many as we are. It is not a strength of this team, even when Stockton plays.

In the specific case of the Southport replay, if we let the game develop into a scrap with the ball in the air the majority of the time, we will struggle as much as we did on Sunday.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed. Let's get it on the floor and play the passing game. The pressure is off a little away from PP, so I hope they settle into a rhythm and we win convincingly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn’t at the game, but the impression given was there was a lot of hoof ball. Were there any particular culprits who could be replaced or was the whole team at fault? If we can’t eradicate that from our play, then having a player who can hold the ball up, like Stockton, may yield some benefits. I’m not sure, given the likely absentees, that we have the ability to impose our passing game.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not sure, given the likely absentees, that we have the ability to impose our passing game.
We have. Any team featuring Jennings, Smith, Cole (possibly), Gilmour (possibly), McNulty, Buxton can pass the ball.

Others like Zoum and Caprice are perfectly at home in a footballing side, and certainly better technically than Southport's players.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have. Any team featuring Jennings, Smith, Cole (possibly), Gilmour (possibly), McNulty, Buxton can pass the ball.

Others like Zoum and Caprice are perfectly at home in a footballing side, and certainly better technically than Southport's players.
I agree that we have the players to play a passing game, less sure that they’re capable of dictating a match is played that way.

Player
Manager
John King
If we win the replay, the Spurs match will be televised by BT on Friday 4th January. A bit disappointed by that, as like most people I will be working and it would be a bit frantic trying to get to PP on time as part of a massive crowd. I would have preferred even a lunchtime weekend kick off, where there is a bit more build up to the game.

Still, it would be another cool 150,000 pounds for the club.

Not counting my chickens though.....