• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Southport

Player
aldo
Well I'm glad I'm missing this one my recent record with the cup is crap . Surely they can't play as bad as Oxford in the first game . Mm says he wants a reaction from the team we the fans demand it . We have been piss poor recently and it needs addressing it has to stop so if we win then so be it rant over . I don't get mad often but I was angry after Tuesday night

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have to get our attitude right for this game, we need to get on the front foot early, im hopefull for a win 3 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If this was a league game, I think we might see some tactical changes and a reversion back to five in midfield. However, Oxford could not cope with a front two of Mullin and Norwood in the last round, and I don't think Southport will either. They are on fire and I think we will stick with a 442.

The Sangrounders are having a poor season but are in decent form and are currently unbeaten in eight, including some reasonable away results. However, if we can avoid the complacency that dogged the first Oxford game, we will win comfortably.

According to Micky, Banks and Macca both have a good chance of starting. It will be interesting to see whether any changes are made at full back, where Zoum and Caprice were really poor on Tuesday night. Personally, I would drop both of them and start with Buxton and Ridehalgh, depending on the latter's fitness. I think Harris should partner Banks, assuming he plays.

Southport expect to bring 500 - 1,000 fans, so it should be another decent atmosphere. Prediction: Rovers victory in front of a gate of around 5,000.

Player
aldo
Mey be they could go 352 with mulling playing just behind Norwood . We can't have the same attitude as we had against city . Or we will go out we won't get away with it again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With the recent disappointing results, Micky will go all out for a win, so expecting our strongest line-up, whatever that is. Personally wouldn't risk McNulty or Banks unless they are fully fit. If Big Steve doesn't make it, do we opt for Sutton after a below par performance in midweek or Ellis? Despite the five conceded, Grimsby fans mostly felt Macca and Monthe were our better players that night and McNulty's injury weakened us. I think Ridehalgh for Zoum is a more likely switch than Buxton for Caprice as unsure how much time Adam has taken out for the birth of his daughter. Would agree with RLCs central midfield pairing and sticking with 442.

Southport have some decent players on their books. Ryan Astles, giant central defender who gave us some difficulty in his Chester days, Jack Sampson a steady striker and Jordan Archer, who Rovers were linked with, as well as Devarn Green, who we signed instead. The two managers had plenty of NL tussles, when Micky in charge at Fleetwood and Liam Watson in one of his earlier stints with the Sandgrounders.

Prediction: Agree with a crowd around the 5k mark. I don't think this will be an easy game at all and wouldn't be surprised if we're taken to another replay, if Rovers fail to stamp their authority on the game from the off.

Player
ian goodison
when the tie was 1st changed to sunday I was gutted as I,m going to Scotland on sun. after the last few games it maybe a blessing, don,t have any idea what the team will be or what team will turn up not even going to predict a score

Player
Manager
John King
Southport have some decent players on their books. Ryan Astles, giant central defender who gave us some difficulty in his Chester days, Jack Sampson a steady striker and Jordan Archer, who Rovers were linked with, as well as Devarn Green, who we signed instead..
Liam Davies is also at Haig Avenue. Manny Monthe also had a brief spell at Southport, which I had not realised.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Liam Davies never realised his early promise, don’t think he’s in contention to play. Wasn’t aware of Manny’s stint at Southport either.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is certainly Southport's biggest match of the season. Add to that it's a local derby and you can be sure they will lift their game as if they were playing at Wembley. They may be struggling in the league two divisions below us but they have been distracted by the cup and to have beaten Boreham Wood in the last round shows their credentials. We should also regard it as our most important game so far. If we don't play to our potential, we may not get through. This could cost us hundreds of thousands and the fall-out could affect our league form. Micky has a job to turn things round. Since beating Crawley, we have looked far from convincing.

Obviously, we'll play our strongest side, McCullough and injuries aside. I'd change the full backs, especially if McNulty is unavailable. I think on-form Mullin must play in a 4-4-2 as we've got to attack from the start. We need Harris with Banks in midfield and DMH to provide pace. Jennings is a no-brainer. If Banks is injured, I'd play Gilmour.

ADD

Player
Norwood
This will be a difficult one as Southport will think they can do what Oxford City did but then hold out and not concede an 89th minute Norwood equaliser!
Will be made even more awkward in that McCullough will again be cup tied as BBTC says and Banks may not be fit. Harris will therefore have to start which is a concern re sending off potential but he will at least shore up the midfield which is desperately needed. I can't be the only on who thought against Grimsby we looked good early on but we had little penetration whilst the opposition whilst not as skilful were more direct and seemed to threaten a goal every time they got near our box. Personally I would also drop Caprice and Zoum as Rides and Buxton will be more solid defensively and Bucko should be at least able to cross a ball beating the first man which Caprice doesn't seem able to do. Interesting to see what we do up front. True, Mullin has scored goals recently but I still have the feeling that since Stockton was injured one of the main reasons for our poor performances is that nearly every long ball comes straight back at us which puts pressure on the midfield/ defence. All that said we have to get to the 3rd round as financially critical so I am going for a nerve wracking 2-1 win!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with the full back changes ADD. Still not sure what's best with Mullin. If he's scoring goals, it seems silly to leave him out. As strange as this sounds, I'd rather be playing away in these potential banana skins. Teams raise their game at PP, especially those from a lower division and the pressure is firmly on us. Having said that, I'd like to see a good attacking formation here, non of this tippy tappy stuff. Get the ball on the floor, play direct and cause them problem from the start. Ohh, play Harris too! I think we've missed his enthusiasm and work rate in midfield.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Mullins can't realistically have done more than he has to keep his shirt. Similar to CJ, I think he's always got a 'screamer' in the locker and he works his socks off.
Jay had his critics for first game against Oxford, didn't they all, but in the replay he was excellent. He gets a shirt for me.
If he's fit, Bucko starts every time for me, not least of all for deadballs. If I had hair it would've been pulled out watching Ollie's efforts v Oldham!
Can't see them bringing 500 plus as has been suggested. Our first derby for decades when we were in the bin only attracted about 300.
Will be strange boozing in tent at noon on a Sunday!
Early goal will settle us and we'll be watching the hat on Monday!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As strange as this sounds, I'd rather be playing away in these potential banana skins. Teams raise their game at PP, especially those from a lower division and the pressure is firmly on us.
Are you sure, Ian? I can't ever remember us winning a competitive match at Haig Avenue, so the last time must be in the 1950s. Admittedly, we haven't played there a lot since 1978 when they were kicked out of the league, but our home form this season is so much better than that on the road.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well probably not but you see my point. Look how good Oxford were against us at PP. They were dreadful on home soil.
Yes, I do. We are massive favourites, so they have nothing to lose. The longer they frustrate us, the more they hope the SWA will turn against the team. With form a little fragile at the moment, we have to hope for a good start to calm nerves all round. If we can get two early goals, we'll coast. If we are level at half-time, it could be a long afternoon. But if we play to our potential as a League Two side, that's all I can ask.

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the Grimsby game referenced above, McKeown kept them in it with a couple of great saves in the first half, so there was no lack of penetration early on. I think it is also harsh to suggest Caprice can't cross a ball; the first goal at Carlisle is one example of him putting in a great delivery.

Player
Manager
John King
I still have the feeling that since Stockton was injured one of the main reasons for our poor performances is that nearly every long ball comes straight back at us which puts pressure on the midfield/ defence.
I think away from home there is some truth in this, as we looked more solid in a 442 earlier in the season than we do with that formation at the moment. It is also partly due to the players growing in confidence as the season has progressed and playing a more open game, which has left us vulnerable at times.

However, I don't accept that performances have been consistently poor at any stage of the season, and our best displays (Crawley and Exeter) came with the 4231 formation where Cole was pivotal.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Going briefly off-topic, it looks like Wrexham's Sam Ricketts is heading to Shrewsbury.

They don't have much luck holding on to managers do they ? :D

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Going briefly off-topic, it looks like Wrexham's Sam Ricketts is heading to Shrewsbury.

They don't have much luck holding on to managers do they ? :D
I almost have sympathy for them. They have had wretched luck over their decade in the NL - and not just with managers. That club really should be in the EFL.