• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v South Park

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I think it was all about giving them time on the pitch given the lack of recent matches. I don't think MM would make three subs with half an hour remaining in a league game.
Agree that MM would no doubt be more cautious in a league game and phase the substitutions but I suppose he was keen to keep young Ben sharp and give a couple of potential first choice strikers game time when leading comfortably. Pity though not to have Connor Jennings involved, as he looks a quality player who may well blossom and make a difference.
Thanks for the reports guys and pleased for you to have seen a few goals for a change., although tempered by our strikers continuing to misfire! How did Andy Cook look when he came on in terms of confidence after the injury and perhaps reticence to risk too much physical contact at this stage of recovery? The Wirral radio commentary team were very much advocating Norwood being replaced and wonder if you feel he is the most out of form and contributing less than he used to?
As you have highlighted sounds like Jenno played well and Hughes in his best position as holding midfielder. However from the commentary didn't seem as though Lois Maynard is making much of a case for inclusion. How do you think he performed and has he lost form after the early season much improved performances when I thought he was MOM a couple of times.
Although we do have a very large and capable squad, arguably as good as anyone the NL, it seems from your recent reports that we are still searching for the ideal blend and formation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First game at PP I've missed all season. Glad to be through but my concerns from the last few weeks still remain a bit.

Sounds like we were slightly negative in terms of personnel. Altho 3 goals in the first half was good. Glad Kirby got a goal but u wonder if this type of game is about his level.

Nors and Mangan is the concern and Stockton deserves game time after his morcambe goals

whilst not a huge fan of Andy Doyle, he was moaning about Tollitt playing centrally again and not out wide where all the space is and he can use his pace. Any sign of Adam Dawson?

Disappointing that it sounds like we came out 2nd half and were poor until they scored.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In terms of attacking options, Cook looked reasonable when he came on and brought a save out of their keeper, something I don't recall Norwood managing. Mangan forced one excellent save from the South Park keeper and the cross for Jake Kirby's goal, but got into good positions only to allow himself to be crowded out or fluff his lines. However, he does play like he cares, a bit heart on sleeve and given the lack of similar characters, a good player to have in the side. I think he will come good again. Agree with RLC that a Cook/Stockton combo is too similar, so most likely the two Andy's starting up front at Woking.

Midfield is difficult. I agree that Tollit is best deployed in a conventional 442, but who to use on the other wing? For all his good points, Kirby rarely beats a man and that isn't the strongest aspect of Mekki's game either, while Dawson seems to be showing the mental frailty I feared and shows no sign of forcing his way back into contention. Maynard didn't play well yesterday, but was a bit unlucky to be dropped for Wallace and Harris may consider himself unfortunate to be out of contention too.

However, the biggest headache for Micky next week will be missing Sutton.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the diamond formation is still the one that suits us best with the passing style under mellon. It gives us control of midfield and has enabled us to grind our results week after week. Added to which, if wallace is to be accommodated it will have to be in a midfield three for the time being. I think tollet has less space now purely be a use he is a known quantity and is being man marked by every team we face.

With regard to Kirkby, I think it is wrong to suggest he simply found his level yesterday. He was one of our best players at Lincoln, so his level his probably higher than a lot of people give him credit for. By contrast, dawson could not perform against bootle so I don't know what his current level is.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would have been a much higher score line if we'd have kept the same tempo as the 1st half which was unplayable against as our speed, movement and passing were too much for the visitors.

As has been mentioned, it was a good work out and just a shame about the sending off.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Boz that the 2 Andy's are probably our most potent front 2 at the moment but I'm sure Nors would disagree. Having Cole back will hopefully give Nors a kick up the arse as he's potentially 4th choice striker!

As for Kirby, my comment about his level was a bit tongue in cheek. He excelled of course in the conf north last year when on loan at Stockport. Hopefully his goal and performance will give him some confidence but I'd still like more end product from him and if tollit is not in a game then I'm not sure who can create much if they are both in the starting 11, in a national league game.

Im still not convinced with the diamond. Yes Tollit is known now but can be easily stifled in the middle. But trust in Micky. Let's see how the next 2 games go.

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder whether Norwood is struggling now that he is being asked to play in a front two. At fgr he was played out wide rather than as a striker, as they felt he could not play as an orthodox front man, and under brabin he played the lone striker role. He also has a bit of an ego and might be uncomfortable now that he is not the sole focus of our attacks. Either way, he is definitely in the poorest form since he arrived here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed but then all strikers go through bad spells. I think he just needs a goal to get going again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Been looking at who I'd want to draw in the next round and struggling a bit. Away, I missed Kidderminster last time, but done Stockport a few times, while Nuneaton and Brackley don't appeal. The other possible opponents in lower leagues are all based down south. Probably a home tie against a lower league opponent would be best. However, given the fixture disruption progress would cause, coupled with Micky's preference for a near full-strength side in Trophy games, I wouldn't be devastated with a difficult away tie, quick exit and concentrating on the League.

Player
Manager
John King
I would not mind any team from a lower division, home or away. Preferably someone like Wealdstone or Dulwich Hamlet who we won't meet in any other competition, or a local-ish tie such as Nuneaton.

If we progress, the real pain will be the re-arrangement of Saturday away matches. If we get to the semi-finals Torquay away will be moved to a Tuesday night !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few people have already made arrangements for Torquay away, so can understand their concern. Midweek home games for me are almost no-go atm, so will lose a few more games I've paid for through my season ticket if we progress.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What was the attendance vs South Park?

Player
Manager
John King
2,801, including 201 South Park fans.

It was actually 2,800 as I went through the Kop turnstile by mistake, came out, and went back into the JK Stand. Had a little too much of that 6.7% German beer in the marquee........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, thanks RLC.