• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v South Park

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers first home game of 2017 sees the visit of Reigate side South Park from the Ryman League South, nickname The Sparks. They're currently in mid-table, but a slightly false position, having a number of games in hand over their rivals. Also a bit of a reputation as a cup side.Last game saw a 5-1 home win with Kieran Lavery netting a hat-trick. It's hard to know what to expect, the team are staying over the night before, their manager has had us watched and sounded out recent opponents, so it's safe to conclude that they'll be well-prepared and no pushovers. Their manager Malcolm Porter thinks the first 20 minutes will be pivotal and his side need to be strong from the off.

So how do Rovers approach this game? MM suggests this will be no different than any league game. True to an extent, but it does give him the chance to experiment a little so that he's a better idea of what options to go for when regulars are missing through injury or suspension. However nobody in the Bootle midweek game seems to have shone out calling for a first team opportunity.

While it's quite possible Micky will send out exactly the same starting xi as Macclesfield, I think a couple of areas may see changes. There haven't been any updates on James Wallace, so don't know how much longer he'll be with us for. This is as good a game as any to restore one of Maynard/Harris/Jennings S to the centre of midfield. There may also be a start for Connor Jennings. While there is good news that Andy Cook is available for selection, it would be a surprise to see any more of him than a cameo from the bench.

Predictions: The weather forecast doesn't look great, but hopefully no danger of a postponement. The visitors expected to bring around 200 from Surrey, while the availability of tickets without a price-hike on the day and curiosity about our opponents could see reasonable numbers of home fans. My starting guess would be in the region of 3k.
This game could go one of two ways. If Rovers get on top early on, then we could win comfortably. More likely, given recent difficulties in finding the net,is a tight game, with only the odd goal deciding it. Despite our patchy last few games, it would be a big surprise if Rovers don't get through to the next round.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
First and foremost, it is great news about Andy Cook as I feared at one point that he could miss most of the season. He is such a pivotal player for us.

I am actually looking forward to this game as much as any this season, purely for the novelty factor. I think Boz is right with his estimate of the attendance, although the visiting fans should make the game quite an occasion, as it is clearly the biggest game in South Park's history. In addition to 'The Sparks' the opposition apparently have the less politically correct nickname of 'The Pikeys'.

In terms of team selection, I think it will be a full strength side. MM may have been tempted to experiment with players if we were in the middle of a glut of fixtures, but I think he will be keen to ensure the first eleven maintain their match sharpness. However, as Boz hints above, I would like to see Connor Jennings play the full ninety minutes, as he was one of the few players to show the right attitude on Tuesday night and is a little hard done by not to be in the side at present, given how poor Norwood and Mangan have been in front of goal recently.

There are a few centimetres of snow in Birkenhead tonight, but I think the game will go ahead.

Prediction: if players like Tollitt, Wallace and Hughes start we will surely have too much for South Park, and I am hoping this is the game where we finally knock in a few goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The first 20 minutes might prove significant because that when we are usually at our poorest as we are frequent slow starters at home. I still cannot see how they will cause us many problems and as the game progresses I think the skill and fitness will come through and we'll be good for a few goals. Great news about Cook!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news about Cookie - don't think we realised how important he was until his absence - Mangan has been a disappointment since his return in terms of goals (and Nors as been poor too of late).

As Ian says the first 20 mins are important - if we struggle the crowd may get a bit restless - especially if expectations are high. It'll give them some confidence who are dangerous as they have nothing to lose.

I'd still like to know the situation with Wallace. I thought his last game was Macc away but maybe that was before this match was scheduled. Agree I'd give Connor J a game.

Player
Manager
John King
Wallace had his contract with Sheffield United cancelled today, and Matt Jones has said on Twitter a deal is virtually done to keep him here until the end of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Like the links, RLC, Mad dog's awful singing on twitter aside.

I'm a little surprised about the Wallace situation as reported, as I'd have thought if he was signing for us, it would be all done and dusted as soon as his contract with the Blades was terminated. There may be a few more twists and turns with this.

Meanwhile, it seems he hasn't trained this week due to illness, so unlikely to start. It sounds like MM has reservations about Cook starting, while Cole Stockton is fit enough to be considered, though I'd be surprised if he gets closer to the action than the bench. Wallace's absence means that a start for Connor Jennings is possible. My preference would be in the hole behind the front pair, but a midfield trio of Tollit, Hughes and Kirby wouldn't offer the back four much protection. Maybe a 4411 behind Mangan or Norwood would work better and limit personnel changes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enjoyed those links. Puts a bit of magic into the fixture and I hope they all have a great day. Obviously not too great!

Player
Manager
John King
Team is a bit weird, Steve Jennings and Maynard starting, tollittand c Jennings on the bench. Not much creativity in midfield but let's hope it works out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC, an attacking bench, featuring Cook and Stockton as well as Connor Jennings, but unless the full-backs are bombing down the wings, creativity mostly limited to Hughes. Crowd looks a bit lower than expected from my changed viewpoint in the Kip

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hughes pretty much bossing it in the middle with Ridehalgh seeing a lot of the ball. Contest over at HT so couple of changes to come I'd expect in the second half. No disrespect to SP but they are quite poor.

I'd like to see Mangan or Nors on the scoresheet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pivotal decision was the penalty, which I thought a little harsh, to put us 2 up. Ref seems to want to be centre of attention with a couple of cautions, if we had a more balanced bench would look to take a few out of danger of dismissal.

Player
Manager
John King
A comfortable and deserved victory for Rovers, even if the second half was a little lacklustre. I personally did not think the penalty decision was that significant, as we would have won the game anyway, but I agree that the referee was inept and seemed to want to make a name for himself. It was good to see the South Park players and fans enjoy their goal from the free kick, which was reminiscent of the Brigg Town game all those years ago. However, I must admit I did not think it was a foul in the first place.

In the first half I thought we played the game intelligently, playing our normal passing game and keeping the ball moving to make the opposition work, with Hughes and Jennings particularly prominent. We had other chances in addition to the goals and put in a professional display. However, after the break with the game sewn up we lost a lot of that intensity, which was worryingly similar to the performance at Macclesfield, although Norwood, Kirby, Hughes and others had further opportunities to score.

Individually, I thought Steve Jennings had a very impressive first half and then faded, probably due to his lack of fitness. Hughes, Ridehalgh and Mangan all played well, although the latter was again guilty of missing chances. Both centre halves were really solid. My man of the match, however, would be Jake Kirby who kept running all afternoon and took his goal well.

On the negative, it has to be a concern that Mangan and Norwood both failed to score against such limited opposition. James in particular is playing poorly at the moment, and I doubt he will keep his place with Cook and Stockton available. It was noticeable that even with the limited time they had on the pitch, Cook forced a good save from their keeper from a difficult chance and Cole scored, whereas Mangan and Nors had not really looked like hitting a barn door in the previous sixty minutes.

I assume that Sutton's sending off was for abusive language, which means he will be missing for at least one game.

It was good to see the South Park fans enjoying themselves in the marquee before the game, and I think their team acquitted themselves pretty well, even if the gulf in class was obvious throughout. Most of the big boys - Lincoln, Barrow, FGR, Macclesfield - are through, so hopefully we will draw another lower league side in the next round.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As mentioned previously, the game was pretty much wrapped up in the 1st half. Three decent goals, some good movement and passing, too good for the gutsy away side. Midfield were all having a good game including Hughes, Jennings and Kirby.

Thought we took our foot of the gas a little in the second half and made for a more competitive game which South Park enjoyed and well done on the goal, great free kick. Game was wrapped up with a fourth from Stockton to mark his return. Completely agree with RLC about our front two. It certainly gives Stockton a chance to start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers took the lead slightly against the balance of play at that point with a Sutton header from a corner. I agree that we'd have South Park won without the penalty, but it effectively put the game outside South Park's reach. The visitors didn't lose heart, but a good finish from Kirby from a Mangan cross just before h/t seemed to have killed the game off.

Second half was disappointing. There was a casual, 'job done ' approach to our play and we kept giving the ball away. The triple substitution didn't help. While agreeing with RLC that the award of the free-kick which looked like their player falling on the ball was harsh, South Park's Lavery converted well, aided by a significant deflection and they deserved the celebration. Sutton's sending-off actually seemed to fire us up a bit and a great cross from Ridehalgh converted by a returning Stockton made for a 4-1 victory.

I was a bit puzzled by Micky's starting xi, which felt a little negative. My preference would have been a more orthodox 442 rather than the diamond, with Tollit starting ahead of Maynard/Jennings. He also missed a trick in not bringing Connor Jennings on to play at the tip of the diamond, though can understand Tollit was meant to supply ammo to the new front pair. Steve Jennings rather than Maynard should have come off, as he was flagging and Maynard is more versatile.

The referee, Mr Johnson was poor. A surprise he was apponted, given Bootle-based, debatable penalty for us and free-kick for South Park, both leading to goals. Cautions for Jennings and someone else (Ridehalgh?), no sanction for the only really bad challenge in the game on Sutton, though Scott Davies ill-judged charge to remonstrate could have inflamed the situation and his caution was one of the few things the official got right. Sutton must have said something for his red, but the referee was some distance away at the time.

Overall, while Rovers win was comfortable, it wasn't convincing. MoM a toss us between Kirby and Hughes.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought the substitutions were necessary as the performance had gone completely flat at that stage and Norwood in particular was struggling. Bringing Cook and Stockton on pepped things up a bit, while also helping them get match fitness. I don't think a pairing of Andy and Cole would work longer term, however, as they both come short for the ball rather than running in behind.

I would start with Cook and Mangan at Woking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would have said Hughes for MOM as Kirby flagged a little in the second half. Playing the likes of Jennings and Maynard gave them some game time and in a game like today shouldn't and did not struggle. I also would have liked to have seen C Jennings feature today as alluded to above.

It will be interesting to see where Stockton fits into the side after his goal today. Place on the bench?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A potential banana skin avoided, some match practice and a chance for M.M. to experiment. No injuries it seems, so the only negative is Sutton's red, which will surely give Ihiekwe a chance to reclaim his place. Ironically, MI lost it through suspension a few weeks ago. I suppose if we progress much further there may be a bit of fixture congestion, but I'm not complaining.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't think MM needed to change all three at once though. Maybe bring one of Cook/Stockton to play along Mangan initially and the other later on. He knows what Tollit is capable of, didn't deliver many decent crosses though, so would have learned more by giving ConnorJennings some game time.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it was all about giving them time on the pitch given the lack of recent matches. I don't think MM would make three subs with half an hour remaining in a league game.