• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shots

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
One of the toughest home fixtures of the season up next, with the visit of Aldershot. As expected, The Shots are among the front runners and have a particularly strong away record, with only one defeat on their travels since October. However, I don't think they are as good a side as last year, having lost talents like Mensah and Benyu, and we should not be terrified of this game.

Tactics will be very important. Aldershot will outnumber us in midfield and keep the ball well, so our midfield pair will have to work very hard. As a result, I would start with Harris rather than Hughes for this game, the latter surely missing the Gateshead match because he was in Ireland tying up his contract rather than due to injury. In the reverse fixture we sat far too deep and allowed the opposition to pass the ball at will, but I am sure we won't make the same mistake tomorrow. Injury-wise, Fenelon and Gallagher are apparently doubts for the visitors, but that could be smoke and mirrors.

Considering the bigger picture, a draw could be enough to secure second place come the end of the season, but it would be nice to win and make Macclesfield wait a little longer before being crowned champions.

Prediction: a score draw seems most likely, but with the form of our front two we could edge it. I would expect a 5,000 plus gate with 3-400 from Hampshire.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Its about time we beat a team at the top end of the table, im going for a home win 2 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed bigmart and that’s what has let us down massively this season. We need to be picking up points from the top teams. Having said that, I think it will be a tight affair and that first half on Tuesday is still lingering as we weren’t just bad, we were woeful.

1-1.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I believe they're doing a programme feature tomorrow. 30 years since our first trip to Wembley. My reply to their tweet: Was bursting with pride that weekend from the moment Martindale scored against the FA Cup holders Wimbledon, then as we progressed passed Newcastle the whole stadium caught the Rovers bug! That was the launchpad for our trip to the moon!

As for tomorrow's match, maybe a draw wouldn't be so bad in case we reveal too much of our hand should we meet them again in the play offs. I do feel tomorrow will be a score draw though.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Couldn’t agree more RLC!! There was a magical vibration bouncing around Wembley on day 1, almost as though we owned it!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t go to the midweek game v Gateshead, but it sounded poor from Rovers despite the result. This game will undoubtedly be tougher, so up to MM to decide if it needs approaching with a similar starting xi or by altering the starting xi.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see an identical line up to Gateshead. I would like to see more options on the bench, a defender probably Monthe and Ginnelly, if fit, to enable a like for like substitution if Tollitt fades.

I think there’s a fair chance Macc won’t beat Orient, whose away form is decent. However I don’t expect us to surpass any result from the early ko at Moss Rose. Most likely a draw, though wouldn’t be totally surprised if we lost.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think this is second only to Macc as a tough home fixture, but it comes at a time when the team must be feeling confident. I think both sides would be happy with a draw, so I predict a 1-1 or 2-2.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On hols so missing this one. I think a win today would be so important. One way or another we need to be beating our rivals at home if we are going to make another trip to the National Lottery Final.

Player
aldo
i dont wont a draw i dont pay to see them . i wont cook or noors getting 4 again lets be more Positive . 5-0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The psychological benefit of beating a potential play-off opponent is hard to be exact about, but should do us some good. Equally losing will have a negative impact to some extent.

More of a balanced bench today, though no Wallace or the disappeared Ginnelly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Aldershot have been very niggly so far, Dover come to mind. Weak refereeing hasn’t helped. Tollitt off injured and it didn’t look good, hope not a recurrence of previous injury. Cole on in his place.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thought we were the better team first half having decent chances to go ahead. Aldershot spray it around well but look weak up front. We can win this if we keep it up.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Excellent result and I'll look forward to the reports later. One more win should pretty much guarantee us a top 3 finish.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds like a thoroughly deserved win. Only us, BW and Ebbsfleet of the top ten won. Macc need to win one of their last two games to deny us, but we need just four points from our last four to reach the play-off semis.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Twenty goals this season for Nors. When is the last time we had two strikers hitting that number? Clayton and Clarke in the mid-seventies?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Twenty goals this season for Nors. When is the last time we had two strikers hitting that number? Clayton and Clarke in the mid-seventies?
That was mid eighties BBTC. I think Muir and Malkin both scored twenty in the 1989-90 season; they are the last two I can think of.

A largely frustrating game but a thoroughly deserved victory. I thought Aldershot were poor today. They clearly set up for a point and time-wasted and niggled at every opportunity, well organised but offering next to nothing going forward. You would expect that from a bottom half side, but not a team chasing promotion. We did not see any of the expansive football of last season and I would not be terrified of playing them in the play-offs.

In the first half I thought we were clearly the better side but just could not find a final ball, Cook and Norwood both having a couple of half chances. After half time we got bogged down and I really could not see us finding a winner. The performance of Larnell Cole was key to the victory. He offered much more than Tollitt when he came on and had his best game for us, drifting in to pockets of space and linking well with the forwards, as well as working hard off the ball. He looked fitter than earlier in the season too and if he keeps up that level of performance we will have another good player.

It was excellent play from Cole to set up Norwood for the first, with kamikaze defending for the visitors after good pressure from Cook for the vital second goal. It was a pity Cole did not score himself near the end after being set up unselfishly by Mangan.

I thought Davies and the back four were good today, and Liam Ridehalgh probably had his best game of the season, both defensively and going forward. However, my man of the match would be Larnell.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was surprised/disappointed how Aldershot set up and expect they’ll be a very different opponent should we meet again in the play-offs. It was one of those games where Rovers have been stumped by a killer blow or gift from the referee in the past, relieved that did not happen today.

It looked like we had a shout for a penalty early in the second half, would like to see that again. Some excellent work from Cole set up Norwood for the opener. Did wonder about offside from some distance away, but we’ll finished. Cook worked really hard for the second goal, put away by Norwood and some good work from Mangan nearly led to an injury time third.

I’d agree with Larnell Cole as MoM. Excellent work for the goal, a couple of good incisive runs, but also stayed in position close to the touch line. One great slide tackle and a decent defensive block too. Defensively we were solid, McNulty having a good first half mopping up everything flung at their big striker. Midfield was the area where a few concerns today. Tollitt was very subdued even before the injury and I hope it’s not as serious as the signs suggested. Hughes was steady, no indication of mentally signing off. Jennings a mix of good and not so good, but Norburn below par with hopeless efforts that went nowhere near the goal and too many passes going astray. Both forwards worked hard.