• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shots

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Whilst not being critical of Cole who got his goal, I still think Cook should be playing in our first choice 11.

Set pieces are a big part of football and without Cookie we lack players who will attack the ball. Nors had a half decent header saved in the second half that Cookie would have buried.

It's a tough one as Cole has done well and I wouldn't drop Norwood as he creates goals like the first today, but I just think Cook should start to give us as much attacking as threat as possible.

I agree with that. In the last couple of games, Ridehalgh has put some fantastic balls into the box which have not been attacked. And as you say, set plays are massively important at this level. Lincoln score loads of goals from them and we don't, which is one of the reasons why they will win the league.

Lincoln did not play well again today funnily enough !

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Even if they had a back up striker scoring a few, you wouldn't see Dover drop Miller and FGR drop Doidge. It just wouldn't happen.

Hopefully cookie will get some game time in the next 3 games and be ready for the play offs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well having your leading goalscorer on the bench doesn't make a great deal of sense. Not for this many games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lincoln did not play well again today funnily enough !
They've mastered what is needed at this level and have been extremely good at it. Sometimes not pretty but very effective. Look how well we played against FGR and couldn't put the ball in the net.

It's great point though as we definitely lack the arial presence without Cook in the team and do struggle with set pieces and crosses.

Player
Backayogo
Agree that someone else should take the corners. They should be whipped in with pace. Quite pathetic how they are floated over.
Start Cook over Stockton. Much more 'presence'.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In a tight game such as a play off match a set piece could make all the difference.

Cook heading in a whipped in Ridehalgh delivery seems much more likely than Cole powering in a looping slow curler from Hughes

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few things to add to what was ultimately a frustrating day for Rovers.

Their first goal seemed poor defending from us collectively, allowing them to walk the ball into the net. The second, the referee should arguably have given us a free-kick in the build-up, but what followed was poor defending. McNulty seemed to share some responsibility for both their goals from other's comments, would like to see again before apportioning blame.

There seemed to be a vast swathe of territory for Aldershot to break into, when Rovers were attacking at corners/set plays, there were often 8 players in the penalty box and two around the half-way point. This was only plugged late in the game.

Stockton had a good first half, but didn't have much involvement, aside from putting one decent cross into the box after the break. However, Cook seems to have lost an edge through being out of the side.

The midfield was and will be our weak link with the players currently available. Maybe Maynard will return to form with more match time. Otherwise, given Micky's unwillingness to give Duggan another try, we're stuck with the current three in the centre.

First time I'd seen Sousa, an interesting player. Made a mess of a set piece, conceding possession but some nice touches, but not really a crosser of the ball today.

Agree with Connor Jennings as MoM though I thought Norwood had a good game too.

While 6k was a decent turnout, any thoughts on why numbers were down on Tuesday night? Would expect more able to make a Bank Holiday game and the Shots brought 150 more than Forest Green. Did that loss effectively hand the title to Lincoln, with people saving their pennies for the play-offs?

Lincoln have deserved their promotion, when it happens. They're probably the best team in this league, though individually our players may be better. Need to get back into some form for the play-offs.

drwhoman

Might have been a fair result but I must confess that the comments made suggest that we could have been better in midfield while MM seems committed to Stockton presumably because he links up well with Norwood who cannot score a goal to save his life at present. Cook should be starting as the only consistent goal scorer in the squad. I must confess to not being confident about the play offs. Lincoln will be champions because they manage to win even when playing not to their best. I do not have the same feeling about Rovers. At 2-2 with the crowd there as the 12th man they should have got over the line. These comments are made while feeling very disappointed. The record against the top teams is not good and the play offs could be painful. Another season in the National League. I live in hope that they will surprise me but I wonder if this team has got what it takes. It is not a question of them not trying hard but are they good enough? Time, as always, will tell. Let us hope for a better result on Monday!

Player
Manager
John King
While 6k was a decent turnout, any thoughts on why numbers were down on Tuesday night? Would expect more able to make a Bank Holiday game and the Shots brought 150 more than Forest Green. Did that loss effectively hand the title to Lincoln, with people saving their pennies for the play-offs?

I think FGR was always the more glamorous fixture for the floating voters. Today's crowd was slightly better than I expected to be honest.

Sousa was hit and miss today, but was very good against Solihull. Could be a useful player in the play-offs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The FGR attendance was much better than I'd expected tbh. Agree the more glamorous fixture, but today's you'd have thought more convenient.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I also think the defeat on Tuesday will have dampened some people's enthusiasm about coming today - especially the non hardcore fans

drwhoman

Just to clarify my earlier comments. It is not that the team does not have the footballing ability. Rovers play as good football as any club in the League. It is about mental toughness in tight situations. The most successful teams have it.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to clarify my earlier comments. It is not that the team does not have the footballing ability. Rovers play as good football as any club in the League. It is about mental toughness in tight situations. The most successful teams have it.

We have got plenty of mental toughness. Our form since Mellon took over has been incredible and we have won numerous games with late goals after battling to the end. It is very harsh to question the attitude of this group of players; they have given everything.

Tiredness and injuries have caught up with us this week, after months of playing every Saturday and Tuesday with key players missing. We also seem to struggle a bit defensively against the top sides, who have the pace and movement which most teams don't at this level. Partly that is down to McNulty's lack of mobility, not that I am scapegoating him as he has been excellent this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We also want to finish high so we're at home second leg of the play offs. The fans could make all the difference
Conventional wisdom says so, but often it is not the case that playing at home in the play-offs is an advantage. For example, last year three of the four semi-finals were won by the away team and the other was a draw. Braintree won their first-leg at Grimsby, only to lose at home. Even in an away tie, the SWA will be heard.

Player
Manager
John King
After the disappointment of this week, we still want to finish the season with some decent results. If we finish third or fourth we will be playing fgr or Dagenham in the semi final, which we would not want.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Dagenham are a much better side than Dover, who look likely to finish fifth, so I think it will be important to secure second place.
I think it's impossible to be sure who will get the final play-off spots and in which order. Neither can you predict what form a team will be in. The team finishing fourth could have relaxed, while the team who had just secured the final place could be on a roll. The important thing is that we are fit and well prepared.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it's impossible to be sure who will get the final play-off spots and in which order. Neither can you predict what form a team will be in. The team finishing fourth could have relaxed, while the team who had just secured the final place could be on a roll. The important thing is that we are fit and well prepared.
It is very unlikely that Dover or Aldershot will finish higher than fifth. In which case, we will have to finish second to avoid fgr and daggers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Grimsby, last season's play-off winners, rested players in the final run in, including to us in the last league game, yet still won in the play-offs.

I don't think that you can assume the play-off games will go the same way as the league fixtures. We're good enough to take around 6 points from the last 3 games and I think that ought to get us 3rd place and home leg second. I'd agree that would like to avoid Dagenham, but we are capable of beating Aldershot looking at today's performance.

Player
Manager
John King
Grimsby, last season's play-off winners, rested players in the final run in, including to us in the last league game, yet still won in the play-offs.

I don't think that you can assume the play-off games will go the same way as the league fixtures. We're good enough to take around 6 points from the last 3 games and I think that ought to get us 3rd place and home leg second. I'd agree that would like to avoid Dagenham, but we are capable of beating Aldershot looking at today's performance.
I agree. I want to avoid fgr and daggers because they are better teams than the other two and we could, as on Tuesday, play very well against them and still lose. I at least want to get to Wembley. More generally, I agree with resting the occasional player like Hughes, but I want us to try and win every game, and don't want us to experiment or make wholesale changes unless we are floating in mid table.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Couple of points. The corners
Particularly 2nd half were poor again from Hughes. Is there really no one else who could take one? His pathetic dinks had no pace and were slow and predictable and easy to defend.

Secondly altho shots played good football, both goals were from long balls. The first saw Buxton mis read the ball and McClure held him and Steve off and fininshed. The second McClure beat Steve in the air and Mensah finished well. A very tough first half for the defence but as said above, not helped by Maynard who looked off the pace unsurprisingly.

The worry for me today was the midfield which with Hughes and Maynard looks devoid of energy. Injuries have contributed of course.

After Tuesday we were never going to win the league, the imps are too good so on to the play offs it is.
totally agree about the corners, try to put some pace on them rather than just floating the ball over, thought in general our midfield was poor yesterday maynard was off the pace with it being his first game back and hughes had a poor game his passing well off target. Thought they were the first half the pace and movement of the forward was exceptional and we just get to grips with it, for the neuteral must have been an exciting half too watch, 2nd half wasn't anywere near so good and although we probably edged it rarely looked like scoring and a draw was the right resulet.

Dover will probably get the last play off place as 2 points ahead of Aldershot with a game in hand but travel to Aldershot tomorrow, we need to get a win on Monday or we are likely to end up 3rd