• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shots

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another difficult fixture coming up, with the visitors from Hampshire fighting their own battle to secure a play-off spot. They're in reasonable form and will be difficult opponents. Striker Scott Rendell is probably their key man, while former loanee Shamir Fenelon also features in their number, though he hasn't been a regular starter recently. Lost the game at their place 3-1 slightly unfortunate by all accounts.

With Harris out, Micky has a big decision to make about midfield. Wallace doesn't seem to have the stamina or work-rate to fulfil the Harris role, from what was said post the FGR win on Tuesday. Maynard was fit enough to be in the squad for that game and he must be brought back into the side ahead of James Wallace. Cook might come in for Stockton. It's a game where we should go for experience on the bench and Mangan might get the nod ahead of Collins/Mekki, though Adam would want to do well against his old club.

Prediction: There should be a decent away turnout around 200 and I think the crowd will be around the same number as Forest Green. Not confident we'll get the win here, a sharing of the spoils more likely. .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Shots have won their last 2 away games at Macc & Solihull but drew at home with Torquay in their last home game. They currently sit in the final play off place, 4 points off Daggers who are 4th and level on points with Dover who have a game in hand.

As Boz says Mickey has a real dilemma. Only Wallace or Maynard are the realistic option for replacing Harris. Neither have played any football recently but surely the most obvious choice if both fit, is Maynard, who can give the defence a bit of protection if needed, is dynamic and offers a threat at set pieces. Yes Wallace can play a decent pass but offers little else at the moment and would it be a surprise to anyone if he couldn't last the full 90? We can't afford that at the moment. Hopefully Jeff Hughes will have had his Weetabix as he needs a boost.

Cole had little success against the FGR defence and not sure whether Aldershot are any different. That said, Cook is clearly the better option so must start. I'd go with Nors again just about as although he never looks like scoring, surely will soon and does create more than the likes of Mangan. We need to play our strongest team as Lincoln will surely claim another 3 points at home to Torquay. FGR also have a winnable home game as entertaining Chester. Dover host Southport so Shots can't afford to lose tomorrow.

Prediction: Could be quite an open game. Score draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I have a feeling MM might start with Wallace in the centre with Maynard on the bench. I'd expect another tough game as the visitors are fighting for points and will also be another chance to see how we get on with another possible playoff contender.

Can't guess now whether MM will opt for Cook or stick with Stockton up front but one thing is for sure, we need to take our chances.

Not expecting the healthy gate we saw on Tues night but it'll still be a great atmosphere. If we win and Lincoln drop points, it's wide open again.

Keep believing..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the reverse fixture in September Aldershot looked a dangerous side, but I still thought we were better than them on the day and it took a rash challenge from Maynard and a worldy from a centre half for the Shots to win the game. My general feeling is that Aldershot don't have the quality of FGR, and if we match Tuesday night's performance we will win. That said, they do have genuine pace throughout the side which can trouble our back four.

In terms of selection, like everyone else I expect Wallace to start. However, my preference would be for Maynard to play sixty minutes with Wallace on the bench as back up. I would imagine that Cook will return to the side after the number of chances we missed in midweek.

With the viewing public watching on, hopefully it will be another great atmosphere. Apparently ticket sales are going well so the crowd may be similar to Tuesday, with about 3-400 from Aldershot.

Player
Manager
John King
From Micky's interview it sounds like Maynard might start tomorrow, as he says Wallace and Maynard will have to share the workload in the final matches, and neither can start every game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As I said in another forum, this situation is similar to FGR in that we must go for the win but they might be content with a draw or a late smash and grab win. The differences are that Shots are not as good as FGR, but we are even more depleted in midfield. With seven midfielders out of action, we need to make sure Wallace and Maynard both come through unscathed. As for the result, if we can improve our finishing - particularly early on, they will have to attack and we could win well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Right choice with Maynard, if he's reasonably fit. Not sure whether I'd have opted for Stockton over Cook.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another for Stockton! We've finally woke up..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
2-2 h/t. Decent game for the neutral. Their first goal was pretty well walked into the net and as an attacking force they look very dangerous. Their weakness seems to be defensively, but we are not putting enough pressure on them in that area. Midfield an issue with neither Hughes or Maynard at their best and the kind of high-pace game where Wallace would be swept aside.

If I had to call it now, would reckon we'd lose. Hope MM can make a few tactical adjustments at h/t.

Player
Manager
John King
A fair result and a very entertaining game between two decent sides. I don't have any complaints about the scoreline as the players gave everything but we did not quite have enough to get over the line against a good side. On today's evidence I would much rather play Dover in the play-offs than Aldershot, who caused us more problems than any other team to visit Prenton Park this season. The Shots looked a better side than the one that beat us in September.

The first half was ridiculously open and end-to-end, with a lot of chances for both sides. Aldershot deserved their equaliser, but I thought had Harris been playing we would have gone in ahead at the break. Maynard was really treading water in the first period, with the result that Aldershot got in on our back four far to easily, albeit with pace and good movement. At the other end of the pitch, we looked lively and creative ourselves, with Stockton and Norwood again linking up well and Connor Jennings outstanding.

After the break Aldershot settled for a point and began to time-waste and break up play. We were the better side but could not get any momentum going, due both to Aldershot's approach and another terrible referee who completely disrupted the game. The news of Lincoln going behind rather cruelly gave us false hope.

The title is gone now, so we just have to win the three remaining games and make sure we secure second place. If we match the performance of the two games this week, i think we will pick up nine points. However, it has to be a concern that we have again failed to beat a top five team and, as I said previously, I would not fancy playing Aldershot over two legs.

I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Conner Jennings as man of the match and it was good to see over 6,000 in the ground again. On to Guiseley.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds an exciting match but ultimately disappointing one. I await the reports.

Hats off to Lincoln for yet another comeback. They are the best team in this league and deserve to go up. I think finally everyone must accept we won't go up as champions this year.

We are now in a fight for second place with FGR, while Dag & Red, Aldershot and Dover vie for the other play-off spot. Being runners-up is good for bragging rights but little else as you could end up playing the form team in the semis. While we must try to win every game, Micky must surely now manage his squad to keep them in the best possible form and fitness for the play-offs.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Couple of points. The corners
Particularly 2nd half were poor again from Hughes. Is there really no one else who could take one? His pathetic dinks had no pace and were slow and predictable and easy to defend.

Secondly altho shots played good football, both goals were from long balls. The first saw Buxton mis read the ball and McClure held him and Steve off and fininshed. The second McClure beat Steve in the air and Mensah finished well. A very tough first half for the defence but as said above, not helped by Maynard who looked off the pace unsurprisingly.

The worry for me today was the midfield which with Hughes and Maynard looks devoid of energy. Injuries have contributed of course.

After Tuesday we were never going to win the league, the imps are too good so on to the play offs it is.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We also want to finish high so we're at home second leg of the play offs. The fans could make all the difference

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with sparky about the corners, which were useless again. No idea why ridehalgh is not taking some of them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fair play to Lincoln who scored two late goals. Deserved champions who have been incredibly consistent.

The big worry for me is our record against the top sides. The playoffs certainly won't be easy.

I thought Aldershot were a good team. Tricky and pace up front and fairly solid at the back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst not being critical of Cole who got his goal, I still think Cook should be playing in our first choice 11.

Set pieces are a big part of football and without Cookie we lack players who will attack the ball. Nors had a half decent header saved in the second half that Cookie would have buried.

It's a tough one as Cole has done well and I wouldn't drop Norwood as he creates goals like the first today, but I just think Cook should start to give us as much attacking as threat as possible.