• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Rochdale

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last pre-season friendly. The visitors narrowly escaped relegation to L2 last season so are probably as close as anything to the level of opponent we're likely to come across. Joe Thompson still with Dale, it would be good seeing him at PP again.

It will be interesting seeing how Rovers line up. Will it be a dry run for the first league game, with our strongest starting xi, whatever that be or more mix and match? Who will be in goal, talk of Scott Davies being back seems to have gone quiet recently. Any more triallists or even a new striker to feature...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that Rochdale are probably on a par with the better League Two sides and for that reason this is the most interesting of the friendlies.

I would guess the game will still largely be treated as a fitness exercise. I think Mellon is the kind of manager that works on tactics in the week leading up to a match and is less concerned about having a dry run against first team opposition. Whatever eleven he does eventually start with against Stevenage, he has got plenty of options in all positions apart from centre forward.

Player
aldo
Gotta be there are some who would have us lose or draw every game . ok I want is to be entertained and wowed when I go pp not to mutch to ask is it . Can't believe we kick off next week

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Strong starting xi for Rovers. No sign of Davies and Pilling doesn’t even make the bench again. Triallist sub, don’t know if the same one as Chorley.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well unless I’m mistaken I make that 4 defeats from 4 pre season friendly games at home. All against teams in leagues above us but disappointing not to give the fans a win.

As Micky will say, it’s all about fitness and preparation, and don’t forget last season we didn’t even have a pre season.

Would be interested in how the keeper did along with the trialist although he didn’t get long. Is he a target man type as that’s what we need.

Player
Manager
John King
A similar match to the Fleetwood game last week. In the first half we played 4411 with Smith in a floating role behind Norwood and a decent Rochdale side passed the ball round us for the most part. We did have periods of good play when we pressed high up the pitch and we did create some chances, but we were very much second best.

At half time Micky switched to 532 and we got more of a foothold in the game. However, things really picked up in the last twenty minutes when Harvey Gilmour came on and Mullin and the trialist went up front. Gilmour was excellent and turned the game in our favour with his creative play. He also took his goal well after a great cutback from Zoum. The trialist looked decent and forced one very good save from their keeper with a header, while Mullin showed us what he is about with a niggly, physical performance, the best he has played so far. We could conceivably have forced a draw in the end.

The real negative was the extent to which we were dominated in midfield for long periods. Harris in particular was not good enough in possession when we played 442 in the first half and two of the goals we conceded resulted from giving the ball away in midfield. Whether Rochdale are a cut above the teams we will face next season, or are typical of the better League Two sides, we will soon find out.

Individually, I thought all of the defence played pretty well and Norwood, Smith and Jennings looked sharp in the first half, without much service. George did ok and could not do anything about the goals, but does look quite weak on crosses. The trialist striker might be worth another look. However, our best players were probably Caprice and Zoum, and Gilmour in his cameo appearance. Man of the match, Zoum.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Only one game but you do wonder if the football league is too much for Jay and he’ll be a bit part player this season. I heard he was at fault for 2 of their goals.

Pleased mullin did well and hopefully he’s saving his goals for next week and onwards.

How was Tollit? He’s had a full pre season almost so hopefully is getting closer, but u do wonder if he’ll ever be as good as he was

Player
Manager
John King
Tollitt had an up and down game. Better than last season, but nowhere near the player he was. Jennings, Smith and Norwood have been much better than him in pre-season.

I don't think Mullin will score that many goals from what I have seen. I think he has other attributes. However, he did actually have a goal chalked off harshly for offside against Fleetwood last week.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, how big was the trialist ? could he offer a plan b up front holding the ball up and winning headers ?

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, how big was the trialist ? could he offer a plan b up front holding the ball up and winning headers ?
He is not a target man. I think he is about five foot ten, but his strength seems to be running the channels. However, he did look decent in the air and would give us something different to Norwood and Mullin.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Cheers RLC, it is interesting he hasn't been named were as previous trialists were named

Player
Manager
John King
Cheers RLC, it is interesting he hasn't been named were as previous trialists were named
We have probably learned a lesson after we lost the previous lad to Bristol Rovers. It seems the trialist might be one of the signings we make this week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is highly unlikely mullin will score many. His whole career has seen him never get more than about 10. I’m hoping he’s a back up to Norwood who will run just as hard but hopefully score more - although it’s a step up for James.

A target man is essential so hopefully we’ll get one. Rowe would really excite the fans if it can be resurrected

Player
aldo
Mullin was played out of position last year and still got 10 give the boy a chance. 1 week to go getting excited now can't wait

Player
Manager
John King
Very good post-match interview with Micky, where he was frank about our shortcomings. It sounds like we definitely want to sign the trialist and he is very impressed with Zoum and Gilmour.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have probably learned a lesson after we lost the previous lad to Bristol Rovers. It seems the trialist might be one of the signings we make this week.
Haven't seen anything to confirm Soukana actually signed for Bristol Rovers in the end.

It sounded like Rovers started and finished brightly, but the bits in the middle weren't so good. Were the defence also at fault for not retrieving the situation after the Harris error for their second goal? The Rovers twitter describes it as a mix up between Harris and Mcnulty.

Interesting post-match with Micky. Injury updates were useful, Scott Davies has kicking difficulties and no idea if he'll be fit for Stevenage, though the impression was not. Norburn picked up an injury in training and indicated Buxton well off being ready as not training fully yet. Likes the triallist, who played in the Chorley game as well, but the implication for the deal they were trying to get over the line involved someone else.

Player
Manager
John King
The second goal was Harris's fault. McNulty was not even involved in the build-up, to my memory. Harris gave the ball away eighteen yards out and two passes later it was in the back of our net. There was very little the defence could do.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Let me have a think out loud then please do give me a slap and a shake.
I know we are where we are for a reason.
I am so grateful fate shined upon us last May.
I know we've been in a steady decline for years.
I love the buzz and general optimism that surrounds the club and we probably are in a "better place" as a football club than we've been for a long time.
But it just brings it home how much work needs to be done when we're losing games to Fleetwood and Dale, even in friendlies.
Will cheer myself up watching Wembley yet again.
11 weeks ago by the way ;)

Reactions: Boz