• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another tough test on Saturday against a Preston side who, like Doncaster, have been unpredictable but are certainly capable of scoring goals (and conceding a few). I would imagine that this game will be much more open than the one against Doncaster, which should suit us, and will probably see a contrast in styles given Westley's preference for a direct approach.

Preston spent heavily in the summer and certainly have depth in their squad, but I am not sure of the quality of some of their signings. It will be interesting to see how Welsh fares agianst our revamped midfield, but I think Buchanan is unlikely to play.

For Rovers, I would imagine Ecclestone will start up front to hopefully give us the pace and movement in behind we have lacked in recent games.

A victory in this game would be massive and would set us up for the three winnable looking away games that follow. Defeat would see us slide into the pack and might raise serious doubts about our durability.

I am no fan of Westley or Preston, but I notice that he is using some 'unkind' comments made by Ronnie about his playing style as part of his pre-match motivation. Hopefully we will let our superior football do the talking on Saturday.

Preston are by all accounts likely to bring 2,000 fans, so we will surely get our biggest gate of the season so far, approximately 8-9k.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we will get back to winning ways 2 1 with a large crowd of around 9000

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite the calls for a re-jigged defence, I'm expecting just one change; Eccleston for McGurk in the starting line-up. Ronnie's comments on the o/s suggest Andy Robbo should be capable of playing.

No strong views on Preston, dislike Westley, although he did say nice things about us last season after we beat them. As well for Buchanan he's out injured, as he would not have been given a warm Birkenhead welcome. Doubt Welsh will get any flak.

Prediction: I'm not sure either they'll sell all their tickets or the home turnout will be massive, despite the incentives to some groups. Just over 8k maybe.
A few weeks ago, I'd got this down as one we might slip up in. Hopefully, we won't lose a third on the trot.... I'd settle for a rot-stopping draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm confident with a boost to the forward line and a good crowd behind us. Good competitive game. 2-0 win.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As well for Buchanan he's out injured, as he would not have been given a warm Birkenhead welcome. Doubt Welsh will get any flak.

Why's that?

They both moved to a more ambitious club on better money, can't argue.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why's that?

They both moved to a more ambitious club on better money, can't argue.
Haha, im sure the teenagers in the kop booing wont be applying the same logic.

More along the lines of, our player of the season f*ucked off when he had the chance to join one of our rivals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think it's the fact of Buchanan leaving, but the manner, having given the impression that he'd stick around, that's marked his card. Welsh had been with us for 3 years. With hindsight, it's been a blessing that Buchanan fled, given Zoum has been a revelation this season.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
I don't think it's the fact of Buchanan leaving, but the manner, having given the impression that he'd stick around, that's marked his card. Welsh had been with us for 3 years. With hindsight, it's been a blessing that Buchanan fled, given Zoum has been a revelation this season.

And to be honest, i doubt we could have afforded Wallace if Welsh had stayed, and given the amount of goals he has scored this season, again another blessing

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Still confident for Rovers, so Im going 2-0, Ecco and Cass to score...

Status
Not open for further replies.