• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v pools

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We play the winners of 4th(Aldershot) v 5th(Ebbsfleet)
It is actually the winners of 5th v 6th that we play.

I agree with Mart. I don't think the size of the crowd will be an issue. I am more concerned that we are going to be missing two key players in a vital game where marginal differences will count, as was the case in the final last season.

In the last few weeks there has been pressure on every game as we chased Macc for the title, up until they actually secured first place. We coped fine with that pressure at home to Aldershot and away to Dover, both very tough games where we were under scrutiny. However, I just hope the injuries don't stall our momentum.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is actually the winners of 5th v 6th that we play.

I agree with Mart. I don't think the size of the crowd will be an issue. I am more concerned that we are going to be missing two key players in a vital game where marginal differences will count, as was the case in the final last season.

In the last few weeks there has been pressure on every game as we chased Macc for the title, up until they actually secured first place. We coped fine with that pressure at home to Aldershot and away to Dover, both very tough games where we were under scrutiny. However, I just hope the injuries don't stall our momentum.

Oops, corrected that.

We don't appear to have difficulties with big crowds away, played quite well at Wrexham and won the play-off semi comfortably at Aldershot. The home games with the decent crowds, Wrexham, Chester and Macc all saw iffy performances and that was despite the crowd being wholly behind the side in the Macclesfield game. Going back to the times when we did a cheap ticket offer for certain games, they always seemed to end in tears for Rovers. It's a puzzle, as a big intimidating crowd could make a difference.

Momentum was always going to be lost with playing a reserve team and then one mentally saving itself for the play-offs. I think this was a lose-lose situation for Micky, whatever side he picked would be wrong. We've managed without Buxton previously, while Connor Jennings has done well played out of position. More of a concern is the psychological impact on team-mates, as he battles the serious illness. It's more important that CJ recovers than anything as others have already said.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think the 'big crowd issue' is overstated. We came through the home play off against Aldershot ok last season, and we actually played well in the first half against Macc, with a lot of commitment and energy. They were simply too good for us over ninety minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
More of a concern is the psychological impact on team-mates, as he battles the serious illness.
That's a valid point Boz, if they are a tight knit group, they have to remain focused. Assuming it is meningitis, my other half went through this a few years back, very scary indeed! Fingers crossed he'll be OK.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would like to think that Connor's illness would inspire the rest of the squad to get him playing league football next season.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can we become overconfident as supporters when it comes to these matches? I remember last season and lots of supporters were marching down to Wembley thinking it was a forgone conclusion. Just been watching the interview with MP and NP and the guy asking the questions joked many times about promotion and getting to Wembley (as NP pointed out, we have a semi final to play first!). Got me thinking about whether we get a little too cocky. I'd like to think we would be quietly confident and the players get their heads down and do a professional job.

Player
aldo
well said ian . lets just think of are selves for a change . go abt there jobs ans dont start spouting stuff . ..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd be gutted but not shocked if we failed to reach Wembley. Once we get there, I'll be more upbeat . Last year, I was not at all confident, but I'm hopeful this year. The trouble is that the playoffs are more a lottery than a competition.

Player
Manager
John King
There is actually more chance of us missing out on Wembley this year than last in my view. Although we are favourites on Saturday, in a one-off game anything can happen, whereas over two legs the stronger team will generally come through.

I would be far more disappointed if we miss out this season than I was last year. There are a lot of good things about this level, such as the friendly welcome at away grounds, but after three years I have really had my fill of the National League.

Despite all of the above, I think it is vital that the crowd stay positive on Saturday and make Prenton Park a cauldron of noise. We need to make life absolute Hell for the opposition.

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
er er rocko lad . last year we did not make enough noise . we need to be beating them drums from the start to finish . lets scare the crap out of them .