• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v pools

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think we can start with Ginnelly on the left next week, as he just won't do enough. We could either play Clarke there ahead of Ridehalgh or, if Buxton is fit, move Hughes to the left and put Harris in centre midfield. We can't afford to carry passengers in a play off game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, Ginnelly is not one for the future. I think I would play Clarke on the left as he can do damage there and has a great cross. Harris can do a job at right back if a little ‘enthusiastic’ in the tackle, so he can stay there with Hughes in the middle if Buxton is still unavailable which I think he will be.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mickey said cookie has an issue with his ankle but as has been said, I was amazed Micky only made one substitution today given the importance of no one getting injured.

Harris is the only option at right back for me as we’d be worse off playing Sutton there but bringing Monthe in alongside Big Mac.

Agree about Ginnelly and Cole. Neither were great. Like last season we have problems with wide men being good enough. Can’t see Micky picking Eddie ahead of them but they both could start next Saturday on the wings.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook's knock does not sound serious. He is a strong lad and will surely be available next week ?

I agree with Sparky about Harris. There is no way we should mess round with the centre backs and Harris is capable of bringing the ball out at right back. The only other option would be to play Ridehalgh in that position who has no right foot, which would be daft in my view.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes cook was looking like he would come off but he said he’s stay on so can’t be that bad. He’ll be fine I reckon.

Let’s hope next Saturday isn’t his last game for us

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If it is indeed meningitis for CJ then fingers crossed for him. Nasty.
Came away pretty downbeat. Poor dress rehearsal for such a big game coming up. It's easy to be alarmist but just hope we haven't peaked too soon.
Harris MOM by a country mile. Only he and Norburn played as though they didn't have their minds on next week.
First half hour Sutton was all over the place simply because he was ducking out. Thankfully he improved.
If we are to play 442 then we do have problems out wide.
Clarke in front of Rides for me. Give Cole the benefit of another game.
Great turnout and 'colour' from the monkey hangers and their team put on a decent showing for them.
If we make it to Wembley and are two up with the whistle in refs mouth then I might join in the "on our way". Sang myself hoarse with that last season and was ultimately proved to be mistaken!!
Do we take any comfort from BW and Fylde having to scrap it out just two days before we play winners?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ridehalgh came on as sub at right-back, maybe even started a game in that position, how did he cope? I agree that it makes no sense to split up the Sutton-McNulty central defensive pairing. Harris at right-back, concentrates almost totally on defending, can't blame him for that, but he barely ventured over the half-way line today. Duggan came on and did ok, nothing more, but he did get more forward than Harris. We may have to play Jay at right-back, but miss certain elements of his game as a consequence.

Over the time they were both on the pitch, Ginnelly contributed more than Cole. Thought Micky missed a trick by not having Green on the bench after his good showing in midweek.

Player
Manager
John King
Ginnelly probably was better than Cole today. However, Larnell has shown that he can change a game with a defence splitting pass, which Josh has not.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Perhaps not a coincidence that the crowd were equally as subdued as the players today.
I'm sure we the fans will turn up the heat next week and trust the players will respond.
Off thread, so I apologise, but only Shots in the play off teams have any chance of taking remotely a decent number of fans to the final. But if they're there then we're not!

Player
Manager
John King
Perhaps not a coincidence that the crowd were equally as subdued as the players today.
I'm sure we the fans will turn up the heat next week and trust the players will respond.
Off thread, so I apologise, but only Shots in the play off teams have any chance of taking remotely a decent number of fans to the final. But if they're there then we're not!
I actually think Ebbsfleet and Sutton would too. Only a few miles to travel and Fleet took 26,000 to the Trophy final a few years ago.

On the other hand, Boreham Wood's following would make FGR's look massive !

I think the club / Trust should use social media to really push for a full house next week. It has worked for season ticket sales, so no reason why it can't be successful for a one-off game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think we should be too alarmed about the performance today. Similar to Tues night, none of them really broke sweat. I would of course be fuming if that were the case next Saturday but I think we’ll see maximum effort from the lads. I guess the fallout for finishing with so many more points than the teams below you means the following games are a complete waste of time. Having said that, it will soon be forgotten next Sat when we are roaring them to victory!

Player
aldo
hope connor is ok . its just football the guys health is more important . . was suprised green was not on bench would have taken cook of at half time to let him cool down . we need the fans in full voice next week . its not been a great week game wise hope its not knocked the stuffing out of them . ... they just need to focus now and get the job done

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Do we take any comfort from BW and Fylde having to scrap it out just two days before we play winners?
We certainly should. Fylde could have a 500-mile round trip to London to play up to 120 minutes of football and maybe penalties. Less than 48 hours later, they would be at PP facing a fresh TRFC. It's hardly fair, given that the other semi-finalists have twice as long to recover. But do we care?
Thank goodness we finished in the top three.

drwhoman

I am more confused than usual! So we are playing the winner of 4 and 7 and not 5 and 6?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the club / Trust should use social media to really push for a full house next week. It has worked for season ticket sales, so no reason why it can't be successful for a one-off game.
Given our recent record of freezing before larger crowds, you could argue that tickets should be priced up and only available to seasoncard holders or those who've attended at least ten home games, to keep the numbers down.:)
Seriously, it is a concern how when the fans turn up in numbers, the team appear to go missing. Don't know why, or how the management can tackle this. I'm not totally convinced that the home semi is as tilted in our favour as some would believe.

I am more confused than usual! So we are playing the winner of 4 and 7 and not 5 and 6?
We play the winners of 5th(Aldershot) v 6th(Ebbsfleet)

Last edited:

drwhoman

Thanks Boz. If the team want to play in Division Two it is now or never with so many out of contract in a few weeks time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We beat Aldershot away and drew at home in front of big crowds in the play offs last season, we will be fine

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s where you need mental strength at this stage of the season. Skills are great but if you freeze on the big occasions (Wembley last year !) you’ll be in trouble. I hope bigmart is right.