• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Oldham

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A real missed opportunity. Once we got the equaliser we should have built on the momentum but they looked the most likely to win it

Don’t want to criticise Mellon but was really surprised he didn’t bring on either smith or Gilmour to give us some energy late on.

DMH who was poor worked hard but offered very little. He was knackered towards the end so get Smith on. Banks who was trying far too hard was poor and I think Micky missed a trick by not being positive and changing our creative options and was just hoping for something.

In the end I don’t think we deserved any more than a point. Disappointing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A decent performance and a fair result in a highly competitive game. Oldham have a lot of experience in their ranks and looked a reasonable side, but our performance was much improved on Crewe last week.

The first half was even with hardly any chances, Oldham perhaps edging possession, and the goal from a set play was harsh on us. We did not create much, but Oldham did not have a shot other than the goal, and some of the midfield play and defensive work from both sides was very good.

The second period was much more end to end: we dominated for twenty minutes, and when Jennings and Norwood both missed chances I feared it was going to be one of those days. However, we did deservedly equalise and Oldham responded with a couple of positive substitutions, Surridge in particular causing us problems with his pace in the closing stages.

Individually, I thought there were a lot of positives. DMH had his best game of the season for us, following on from a positive display at Oxford, and finally showed signs of adapting to this level. Zoum was back to his best with his overlapping runs on the left. Banks generally kept things simple and played well, despite the shouts from the Oldham idiots. Norwood and Mullin both worked hard and did ok, but did not get much change out of the Oldham centre halves who were excellent. Our best two players were Connor Jennings, who was excellent, and Manny Monthe, who was ridiculously good and won every challenge and showed great composure.

I always thought today's game would be tough given the boisterous away support and derby atmosphere. However, we are still in seventh and have two games coming up against struggling teams, which we need to take six points from.

Player
Manager
John King
A real missed opportunity. Once we got the equaliser we should have built on the momentum but they looked the most likely to win it

Don’t want to criticise Mellon but was really surprised he didn’t bring on either smith or Gilmour to give us some energy late on.

DMH who was poor worked hard but offered very little. He was knackered towards the end so get Smith on. Banks who was trying far too hard was poor and I think Micky missed a trick by not being positive and changing our creative options and was just hoping for something.

In the end I don’t think we deserved any more than a point. Disappointing.
I think a bit of a reality check is needed here. They have just come down from League One and have a lot more experience - and arguably quality in some areas - than we have. We are trying to rebuild after a period in non-league.

With the threat of Surridge and Lang up front we could have lost that game trying to chase a late winner.

It was a good result today in a very tough game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Oldham were no pushovers and have decent players. But have to disagree on banks and DMH having good games.

Can’t remmeber DMH taking on his man much and everything banks tried especially first half was disastrous. Poor free kicks and corners and got booked as well.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think a bit of a reality check is needed here. They have just come down from League One and have a lot more experience - and arguably quality in some areas - than we have. We are trying to rebuild after a period in non-league.

With the threat of Surridge and Lang up front we could have lost that game trying to chase a late winner.

It was a good result today in a very tough game.
A fair point, RLC. I also think the derby atmosphere and antipathy between the fans contributed. Oldham must have raised their game.

One unquestionable positive was the gate - 7150, the biggest of the season, home or away.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Sorry RLC but I have to disagree with you today. Oldham were below us in the table, had lost 2 of their last 4 before today so the fact they have come down is not really relevant. I think many on here are guilty of looking at our position and justifying performances on that basis. For me we were poor again, though better than against Oxford City. Oldham closed down much better than us - we allowed them far too much space. Monthe agreed had a good game but aside from that we were not IMO that great. Also I thought Zoum was not great today - some terrible passing giving the ball away far too frequently.
I agree with Sparky this was an opportunity missed - and all the fans around me were likewise perplexed by MM stance to this game. He constantly talks about trying to win every game but this is patently not the case. I hate (and so do many other fans around me) seeing Davies wasting time constantly with every goal kick when we are level and at home. It must be on MM's instructions as I never see MM or Jacko saying anything from the dugout. Also we should have freshened the lineout well before the 84th minute and made more changes. All that said an entertaining game with a great atmosphere.

Player
aldo
Dmh was poo today . And banks should have been taken off been taken off at half time . Month was superb . Glad Connor got another one . Did scottie get hit by a coin or something did l.ooked like it and the police took one of there fans away . Poor first half but a lot better in the second half it's good now with Connor and mull getting goals now we just need more from the centre midst and defence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A fair result in the end, the save from Davies at 0 1 was vital as we scored not that long after.

Thought Banks tried too hard at times and was a bit below par, more of a concern was yet another booking he must be fairly close to a 2 game ban. DMH put in a lot of effort but he is very reluctant to take his man on although he did head the ball on for the goal

Player
ian goodison
a good point today but we need to be more clinical in front of goal, I too thought micky should have brought fresh legs on but got the impression he was happy with a point, a good feisty derby, monthe was superb I wish we could put corners in like they did, I,m not too upset as we were a conference team last year and am enjoying the games with great atmosphere and good crowds, well done to Oldham fans during the tribute to George yardley

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky a bit prickly in his post match interview about are alleged away form. Worth a watch

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry RLC but I have to disagree with you today. Oldham were below us in the table, had lost 2 of their last 4 before today so the fact they have come down is not really relevant. I think many on here are guilty of looking at our position and justifying performances on that basis.
Oldham had won their last two matches and came into the game with confidence. If you go through their squad individually I would argue that, on paper, it is better than ours. Just because a team is a couple of places below us in the table does not mean we can just swot them aside.

How else can you assess performances and results other than through our league position ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think the frustrations of many of the SWA in the kop were the lack of changes MM made and as has been commented, it almost looked like Micky had accepted a point when after the equaliser we could have used the momentum to get a winner.

Jennings and DMH both looked tired. I can see why he kept Connor on for his defensive work and he got the goal but I thought it was crying out for the pace of Smith to have a run at their tiring defence.

Lets not go overboard anyway. We're still in the mix and 20th placed Grimsby away on Tuesday is certainly one to aim for a good result.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Oldham had won their last two matches and came into the game with confidence. If you go through their squad individually I would argue that, on paper, it is better than ours. Just because a team is a couple of places below us in the table does not mean we can just swot them aside.

How else can you assess performances and results other than through our league position ?
I meant League games - they have won 1 of their last 4 and lost 2 so hardly great form. You can assess the performances on how we played in the game - maybe I wasn't clear but what I meant is people seem to be accepting of a draw where we stayed 7th due to results going for us elsewhere. Personally I am more focussed on our play - yes of course we need results but if we play well and lose to a lucky goal that is acceptable to me. You may be right that on paper their team is stronger than ours (I admit I haven't looked that closely) but I am concerned that just because we are staying up near the top too many people are accepting of performances which are, in my view at least, poor - with not enough pressing, poor passing and from MM no real inclination to change things around much or to go for the win. Hope that clarifies?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s not a bad result. Were there any explanations from Micky about the starting xi (DMH rather than Smith a surprise) or the lack of substitutions?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It’s not a bad result. Were there any explanations from Micky about the starting xi (DMH rather than Smith a surprise) or the lack of substitutions?

He wasn’t questioned about the lack of subs but said he played DMH as he knew he’d do the dirty work and track back and help caprice

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was surprised to see DMH it be starting XI as he’s done nothing since his return and today’s performance backed this up. I thought quite a few of them were below par today and st times we struggled with simple 1-2 passing.

Our passing has been lacking recently but not sure why. We just aren’t flowing like we did a few weeks ago. Fair play to Oldham, they made it hard for us and were chasing every ball but they didn’t have that much quality, but they did put in a shift forgiving some of their time wasting when 1-0 up.

Defensively we were solid today. Monthe absolutely immense. My concern is that today with two up front, we didn’t give them the service. Norwood wasn’t in the game as he was chasing scraps, balls were lobbed onto the general direction but there was little purpose to the passing and the wide men didn’t do enough taking on their man and delivered quality into the box.

We did well taking a point out of that as I don’t think we are firing on all cylinders yet.

Banks needs to start going direct and stopping the little flicks and fancy passes. Simple passes, balls being threaded through to the front two. He can cut a defence open with some of his passes.

We got a point and are still firmly in the mix but I did come away a little bit disappointed today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
To be fair the expectations are high after the home performances against Crawley, Exeter and Lincoln. We looked so good in some of those games especially when playing Cole in the hole.

Still Not sure Nors and Mullin works in a 4-4-2. Fine against oxford city but not sure about L2

Player
aldo
think Mullin needs to work harder he needs to chase and close down more . he has started doing it but needs to work harder . think banks needs benching for a game or two as he been poor for a few weeks . his corners where poor today and he did try to hard . and he gives the ball away to mutch . now month on the other hand was superb today and is getting better all the time . Caprice was good to Nors and mull didnt have the service today thats where mm needed to make a change sooner

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Dust having settled, we've come out of a toughie with a point. And not because we fluked it, rather we've stuck at it and been rewarded.
We're a point off an automatic place.
18th November last year we got beat at Gateshead, Oldham beat Rochdale 3-1.
Wonder what the poor sods who made the trip to that velodrome would have said if they could fast forward 12 months.
Now that we're back where we belong, and I include myself here, we can't deny the last five seasons didn't happen. We haven't been transported back five years to a time when when we actually thought we were too good for League 1!
I said from the first kick off that if we avoided the bottom two then that would be a "successful" season. If we have our dips then we really mustn't be over critical.
I'm not disappointed after today. It was tough.
But give me a 1-1 draw against Oldham in EFL any day than a 9-0 win in the bin.
What have they been feeding Mannie?
One error aside near the end when he was turned just outside the box and ended up with a card, he was faultless.
First half, where he chased a ball over the top with their striker deep into our box and ended up poleaxing him as it went out for a goal kick was priceless.
His jumping on the spot at Zoum for not reading his pass after he'd smothered danger shows his commitment.
A few swallows don't make a summer but I couldn't help but think of Gooders in his prime watching him today.
Grimsby on a Tuesday night to come ☹️

Player
Manager
John King
I meant League games - they have won 1 of their last 4 and lost 2 so hardly great form. You can assess the performances on how we played in the game - maybe I wasn't clear but what I meant is people seem to be accepting of a draw where we stayed 7th due to results going for us elsewhere. Personally I am more focussed on our play - yes of course we need results but if we play well and lose to a lucky goal that is acceptable to me. You may be right that on paper their team is stronger than ours (I admit I haven't looked that closely) but I am concerned that just because we are staying up near the top too many people are accepting of performances which are, in my view at least, poor - with not enough pressing, poor passing and from MM no real inclination to change things around much or to go for the win. Hope that clarifies?
Ok, I will assess the individual performance. We played well against a strong team and deserved a point. I accept a draw because that is what we deserved; just because you don't win, it does not mean you have not performed.

So, taking today's game individually and the season as a whole, I am satisfied.

Hope that clarifies ?