• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Newport

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was thinking the same yesterday RLC. We have good attacking wingbacks in caprice and Zoom and as you say, Bucko was excellent on the right of a back 3 and we’d have Big Mac in the middle and monthe on the left of the 3. Altho big manny could have done better with their goal yesterday and I still prefer Ellis in the middle.

CJ would be a lot happier and involved playing behind the front 2. We’d then have banks and McCullough as the middle 2.

The issue I guess is whether what to do with smith, Tollit, Larnell and DMH if that’s the case.

Knowing Micky he’ll say 2 losses in 9 means we’re doing ok so no need to change System. But yesterday showed what we’ve seen most of the season in that we’re not creating or scoring enough.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I also prefer Ellis to Manny.

Regarding the wingers, I don't think Tollitt or DMH have done enough to warrant a starting place. Smith and Cole could provide backup / competition from the bench, both for Jennings (or even the wing backs in the case of Smith, depending on the quality of the opposition and the stage of the game). I really rate Smith, but you can't always shoehorn every good player into your starting eleven.

Although Buxton did OK yesterday, I thought we missed Caprice's pace down the right side.

I think we will keep the same system for a very tough game at MK Dons next week, but at home against the weaker sides we need to be more creative. We are too reliant on Banks at the moment, and he has had a real dip in form in the last few weeks, perhaps because he does not face any real competition for his starting place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Worryingly we created next to nothing except Norwood's chance in the first half and the good tip over from Larnell Cole's shot right at the very end
After Smith came on and moved himself out wider, there were some good interchanges involving him Banks and Buxton, which resulted in decent balls into the box. Unfortunately, although they gave the Newport defence something to think about, there wasn't always a Rovers player attacking the ball to convert them into chances.

I can see the attraction of a 532, though there is nothing to prevent some fluidity between formations.

One other area of concern is Banks' form seems to have dipped in recent games. Any thoughts on the reason for that, does he not link as well with McCulloch as previous central midfield partners?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we might be getting overrun a little in midfield. Playing with wingers leaves the middle of the park too exposed at times and DMH has been poor on his return. Smith fades in and out and Jennings is struggling badly out wide.

Newport for all their time wasting we’re actually a well organised outfit. They worked hard for each other, didn’t give us much time on the ball and had plenty of pace.

They basically invited the pressure after 60 minutes but sadly we had no answer. As Sparky says, that could have gone on all night and we wouldn’t have scored.

The strikers are a real dilemma. I was disappointed with Millin and thought he would have done more after a starting place but it’s clear like RLC says that Stockton is far better at holding the ball up and we missed that yesterday. Norwood sufferer because of it too. Looking at the bigger picture, I would play Stockton ahead of Mullin and just hope Norwood continues to bang them in.

Player
Manager
John King
One other area of concern is Banks' form seems to have dipped in recent games. Any thoughts on the reason for that, does he not link as well with McCulloch as previous central midfield partners?
As I said previously, I think the lack of competition in that position might have led to some complacency. Gilmour is the only other creative midfielder we have got, and realistically he won't be taking Banks' place any time soon. I thought McCulloch actually played ok yesterday.

If we did play 352, Jennings would give us more creativity in the central areas.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I’m probably one of the few who was disappointed to see Stockton dropped on Saturday. As I said before, you lose both a balance up front & an impact player off the bench in Mullin. I surprisingly feel MM bowed to fan pressure, next up on rota? George Waring? I believe we have a closed doors game this week, would love Tollit to shine as I feel he could be the spark to unlock EFL2 defences...

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think Mullin deserved his chance. after his impact at Carlisle Ok, it didn't work out particularly well and Norwood/Stockton logically appears the better balanced pair. However, good performances off the bench (or when stepping in for injury or suspension) deserve to be rewarded otherwise you end up with demotivated squad players and complacent first team regulars.

I don't think that MM necessarily bowed to fan pressure; more likely he was on the same wavelength as a lot of fans. There is no reason to think that his selection on Saturday will prove to be one that harms Rovers' season and may indeed prove beneficial.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with ONIGP that Mellon's decision to play Mullin was probably as much about managing the dressing room and keeping a united squad as anything else. We know how much Micky values team spirit and squad unity.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Slight worry to me though if it is to maintain dressing room harmony. I wasn’t confident with that partnership beforehand & less so after although I agree there were other underlying issues in terms of service etc.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
None of us know exactly why MM opted to give Paul Mullin a start. However, he did as much as he could to win the game at Carlisle for us, a goal and nearly another. At a time when whatever good things Stockton was doing, finding the back of the net hasn't been amongst them, not giving Mullin a chance potentially leads to the demotivation and complacency ONIGP suggests above.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky was right to play Mullin last Saturday and will be right when he (probably) leaves him on the bench next weekend..

Player
Manager
John King
Slight worry to me though if it is to maintain dressing room harmony.
Keeping squad players involved and giving them a clear pathway to the first eleven is vital to the success of a team, not an optional extra. One of the major reasons for our success under Mellon is team spirit (cf. our performance at Wembley).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The problem is that nobody is hitting the target regularly this season except Nors and teams will find ways to stop him. Other players, including Mullin, will have to start scoring soon.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think teams will find ways to stop Norwood scoring. He will have lean periods like any striker, but he will score twenty goals this season if he stays fit.

We are tight defensively, so the lack of goals only becomes a major issue if Norwood is injured, or is sold. We are not prolific enough to mount a promotion challenge, but realistically that was not the remit for the season anyway. A mid table finish will suffice.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hope I am wrong but think we will lose this 2 0