• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Mansfield

Rovers v Mansfield
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers will be looking to bounce back quickly following the disappointing defeat to Swindon going down to a 3-2 defeat. A Jay Harris sending off early on and some poor defending killed the game off for Rovers who were looking confident and comfortable at 2-0.

The visitors on Tues night will be The Stags who made a good start to the campaign winning their first game in style against Newport 3-0 with an Otis Khan brace.

They picked up their first point away from home in a 2-2 draw against Yeovil coming twice from behind to maintain their unbeaten start and three days later scored a hatful against Accrington winning 6-1 in the ELF Cup 1st round with Tyler Walker scoring his first ever career hat-trick.

Back to the league for their last game and their opponents Colchester were the visitors to the One Call Stadium. Mansfield thought they'd wrapped up all three points when substitute Craig Davies put them ahead on 81 minutes. However, Colchester kept plugging away and Sammie Szmodics snatched an equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time with the game ending 1-1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our last home game against The Stags was the start of Micky Adams’ spell in charge and a battling 0-0 in wild weather conditions gave us false hope for the survival challenge ahead.

No new signing yet in midfield and I don’t get the impression Gilmour is ready or physically strong enough to start. So putting Connor Jennings in the middle and starting DMH if fit enough or Cole looks like the only realistic option.

I’m in Scotland and missing this. Would take a draw, but fear we’ll come away with nothing.

Player
aldo
Could we play 433 with with dmh and smith on wings banks in middle with jennings behinde noors and cole . I will be in tent getting the new book tomorrow night . Going for a good win 3-1 or 2-0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With McCullough now signed, I would guess we will set up the same as on Saturday with Lee a direct replacement for Harris.

In addition to the game Boz mentions, the defeat at Mansfield in April 2015 effectively consigned us to the National League and was one of my worst nights watching Rovers.

The Stags have spent heavily in the summer and have some decent players including Neal Bishop, Otis Khan, Tyler Walker and Craig Davies. They are unbeaten and one of the favourites for promotion. A draw would not be a bad result, but after Saturday's defeat we really need to take four points from the next two home games.

It should be another entertaining game and hopefully the crowd will sneak above 5,000, including 3-400 from Nottinghamshire.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
well when i got my ticket at 3.50 this afternoon there was 4300 tickets sold the first home game 2900 was brought on the day so if most of them come tomoz night then 5500- 6000 is on the cards we will win i have felt my crystal balls . noors and connor will score .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Feeling a bit more hopeful with McCullough’s arrival. If he can stay fit sounds like a very positive addition to the squad for the next four months.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the team now picks itself, unless we make a third signing in the past week. Stockton seemed to be more involved on Saturday, particularly before the sending off.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is after Saturday. Hopefully the team will remember the first 20 minutes and repeat that start tomorrow. If so, I feel confident. I don't think we-ll lose and I feel we might win by the odd goal.

Player
Manager
John King
5,000 pre-sales, so it will be a cracking attendance for a Tuesday night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McCullough in for Banks the only change.

The visitors have made 3 changes including their goalkeeper I think.

Player
Manager
John King
A good point against a very strong side, by far the best we have played so far. Mansfield dominated possession for long periods, moving the ball with pace and purpose, and were a very physical team. However, we had several good spells and actually created the better chances of the game. Some of the link up play between the front four was again really good to watch.

It was not really a night for star individuals and I think every player deserves credit for working so hard to stifle a side that has an embarrassment of riches up front. We showed great spirit and Scott only had one difficult save to make all game, from a speculative effort by Khan in the first half. When he was called upon, his handling and command of his box was excellent. Our best spell was in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, after which Flitcroft switched to 532 to regain control of midfield, but we stood firm while still looking threatening at the other end of the pitch.

I think Cole Stockton also deserves a special mention tonight. He got no support from the referee up against their absolute brutes at the back, but some of his hold up and link play was excellent, and it is clear he is developing an understanding with Norwood. I thought Caprice had a dodgy first half defensively, but other than that we defended superbly. The only criticism would be that our distribution from defence was poor at times, with the exception of McNulty. McLoughlin looked a very steady player, a good passer, good in the air and able to tackle, and with good defensive positional sense, something we have really lacked in midfield this season.

The SWA were great again and stayed with the team even in periods when we were under the cosh.

On to Saturday and hopefully a slightly easier encounter where we can pick up three points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. A point isn’t a bad result and hopefully we can pick up a win on Saturday.

Stockton is interesting as it’s another game without a goal from him but hopefully he’ll go on a run soon. We can’t keep relying on Nors for goals and I sense from other sources that some fans may turn on him soon if he doesn’t offer more. Appreciate I wasn’t at the game though.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks RLC. A point isn’t a bad result and hopefully we can pick up a win on Saturday.

Stockton is interesting as it’s another game without a goal from him but hopefully he’ll go on a run soon. We can’t keep relying on Nors for goals and I sense from other sources that some fans may turn on him soon if he doesn’t offer more. Appreciate I wasn’t at the game though.
I don't think Stockton is in the team to be prolific though, he is there to help Norwood. Similar to Steel or Malkin in years gone by. He did a lot of good work tonight and is important to our style of play.

We need goals coming from all round the team this season, and hopefully Smith and Jennings will weigh in with a few.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Whilst I am not a Stockton fan at all, I can see why he is in the team, and it is clear that he is a great foil for Nors. Just because he plays up top doesnt mean he has to score goals, although I wish he would, along with the rest of the team apart from Nors! Come on chaps, help the Lord out!!!

Player
aldo
cole did hold the ball up very well . did think banks was not great tonight . and scottie is to slow at getting the ball out of the back . the link up play was at times good . and frustrating as well . not a lot for the front two to feed off . first time we not scored in 30 games

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Really enjoyed tonight's game and pretty much agree with all RLC's comments. It was a really enjoyable match well contested between two evenly matched teams. The standard of the football is far superior than in the VNL and, from what I've seen so far, the belief that there is little difference between that league and EFL2 is a complete myth perpetuated by the wanabees! In fact, from the handful of games so far (which may not be representative) the standard seems higher than our last brief and disastrous visit to this level. Bring on Saturday!

Player
ian goodison
cracking game last night I said after 20 mins be happy with a draw and I was some great performances out there cole was held down all night but battled well McCulloch looked all over the place 1st half but settled down well as the game went on there,s a good player there, really enjoying this league up to now good games great support from the fans we seem to be taking to this league well I,m sure there will be many twists & turns to come wonder what went on at orient as caprice was ace last night they seemed glad to get shut