• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Man City Reserves (shame)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For all my negativity, I do hope you guys get to watch a good match!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very surprised that Williams doesn’t get a start.

Player
aldo
Well ben tollitt has had a good run and cross he needs to do more of ìt . Smith has had a good go 2 . And a good cross akamandu or what ever his name is has missed to decent chances

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A very strong Rovers side with a few youngsters on the bench. As for City, I can't believe those shirt numbers and the exotic names!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The most important statistic tonight is the attendance: 747, the lowest gate ever at Prenton Park for a competitive fixture. The SWA sending a message loud and clear to the Premier League. It was surreal and horrible watching our senior players running around against a bunch of kids in a reserve match atmosphere, and not one I ever want to repeat. I have no idea where the club got the 47 away fans from, as the Cowshed was literally empty. I suspect the number of people actually in attendance was even lower.

Taking the game on its merits, I thought we did ok and there were some positives: Luke George had a very good game and made a string of good saves; it was great to see Evan Gumbs back on the pitch in a Rovers shirt; Ryan Williams played in a more advanced role and looked a lot fitter than he did at Shrewsbury; all the established players did ok.

On the negative, Tollitt and DMH were brighter than normal against a naive defence, but still did not really do enough.

Looking forward to the real football on Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Let’s move on and concentrate on the priority which is Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
There was no column from Palios in the programme tonight for the first time since he took control. I think that tells you everything you need to know about his attitude towards this competition.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Appreciate your ‘roving report’ RLC! Definitely sends out the right message in a negative kind of way if that’s possible!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How did Zoom do RLC? And Gilmour?

Micky has a decision to make in the full back areas for Saturday. My guess is he’ll stick with the back 4 that played against Crawley, even if Zoom is fit

Player
Manager
John King
Zoum was probably our best player, very good in the second half. Buxton and Caprice also played well.

I agree that Micky has got a big decision to make on Saturday. It will be tough to leave any of those three out on current form, but like you I think Buxton and Caprice will start.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Micky ensures the players thrive on this competitive edge so whichever option he picks they will have to be at their best to retain the shirt!

ADD

Player
Norwood
The most important statistic tonight is the attendance: 747, the lowest gate ever at Prenton Park for a competitive fixture. The SWA sending a message loud and clear to the Premier League. It was surreal and horrible watching our senior players running around against a bunch of kids in a reserve match atmosphere, and not one I ever want to repeat. I have no idea where the club got the 47 away fans from, as the Cowshed was literally empty. I suspect the number of people actually in attendance was even lower.

Taking the game on its merits, I thought we did ok and there were some positives: Luke George had a very good game and made a string of good saves; it was great to see Evan Gumbs back on the pitch in a Rovers shirt; Ryan Williams played in a more advanced role and looked a lot fitter than he did at Shrewsbury; all the established players did ok.

On the negative, Tollitt and DMH were brighter than normal against a naive defence, but still did not really do enough.

Looking forward to the real football on Saturday.
On the other hand we got some squad players/ returning players to get a decent game with little risk of injury (neither trainer on all game and no bookings). It is for MM surely better to see them play against some very good albeit young players than a reserve game against the second string from other L2 clubs. Yes I agree the competition is compromised but we would be fined if we didn't play so we have to.

Thought DMH did better, Franklyn was ok and Tollitt needs to go out on loan. George was much better against teams not trying to lump it into the box. Zoum was immense given he played 90 minutes and delighted to see Evan back on the pitch. Finally thought Williams looked much fitter and could definitely do a job if we have some midfield injuries...

Player
Manager
John King
It is not just about the competition being compromised (which matters incidentally). It threatens the existence of your club. In ten years time when we have been replaced in the Football League by Bournemouth B, don't say I did not warn you. The competition is a Trojan horse being used to soften people up to the idea of Premier League reserve teams in Leagues One and Two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
It is not just about the competition being compromised (which matters incidentally). It threatens the existence of your club. In ten years time when we have been replaced in the Football League by Bournemouth B, don't say I did not warn you. The competition is a Trojan horse being used to soften people up to the idea of Premier League reserve teams in Leagues One and Two.
I get that RLC but as I said we would be fined if 1) we didn't play in the competition and 2) we didn't fulfil the selection criteria. We can't afford that I am sure. Given that, I think MM made it as obvious as he could about his thoughts on the competition and the crowd certainly did! Like you I would be very happy to see this revert to a proper competition and fully understand the risks of B teams etc. but I assume it was voted through when we were in the NL. The best hope I suspect is that the sponsors will see what is happening and demand change as this can't be good for any brand surely?

Player
Manager
John King
I was not suggesting we should refuse to play, but supporters have to make their opposition to this competition clear if they want to nip it in the bud.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I get the concerns about the U21s being allowed into this competition to be the thin end of the wedge, but apart from fans voting with their feet, as they did by staying away last night, unsure what else we can do. If it could be engineered so that two U21 sides end up in the final with a poor turnout, that might help a bit I suppose.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was not suggesting we should refuse to play, but supporters have to make their opposition to this competition clear if they want to nip it in the bud.
I guess the best way to do this is to stay well away from this farce. Easier said than done though ;)

Reactions: Boz