• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Man City Reserves (shame)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am sure there will be wholesale changes tomorrow night, with George, Williams, DMH, Tollitt and others getting game time. I think Zoum might play as he tries to regain match fitness, but the fixture probably comes too soon for Liam Ridehalgh.

We are already out of the competition and given the farcical nature of the game, the boycott by a substantial number of supporters, and the freezing weather, the attendance could be pitiful.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agreed there will be a lot of changes which will give some players much needed game time

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You don't fancy seeing the next Jadon Sancho in action then, RLC:)?

Thankfully, the previous results render this game totally irrelevant and while we'll probably get an attendance in four figures, probably not much more. I'm unsure it's worth risking Zoum in a game like this, given his hamstring issues. I'd go something like....

George
Sutton Ellis Gumbs/Long
DMH Williams Harris Gilmour Tollitt
Akkamadu Mullin

Player
Manager
John King
You don't fancy seeing the next Jadon Sancho in action then, RLC:)?
Whisper it quietly, but I am probably going to go......... I could not bring myself to miss a home game I can easily attend, even if it is a first team game in name only.

However, I hope it is the only occasion Prenton Park is darkened by the presence of an Under-21 team and if I am part of a sub-1,000 crowd I will be happy.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Giving this one a miss. Utterly pointless.

Player
aldo
if it gets some of the reserve players a game and helps some of the guys returning from injury a game then im happy and if we do win 10k as well

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Not sure it is a pointless game. It is a chance for MM to see fringe players in a game that will be more competitive than training games - just. In terms of the CheckaTrade trophy, I thought Cole and Gilmour played well and took the eye in the home game against Crewe. I recall Cole coming in from the flank and doing some bright stuff in the no 10 area - so food for thought that may have now come to fruition. It is a crappy competition, but might as well make the most of it.

Player
Manager
John King
It is not so much a pointless game - certainly not to the Premier League clubs who foisted it on us - as a dangerous one.

drwhoman

Do not disagree RLC and how many of these players will ever make it at a high level? Not many. So they find it hard when they have to leave their cosseted Academy environments and have to play in the real world. Jack Dunn was a case in point. Looked promising in junior football but struggled in a tougher environment. These Academies are a bit of a waste of time and money really. Their annual budgets will be far higher than ours and yet ... Foden has come through at City but not many others. If in doubt pay 50m for an international from somewhere!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With no reserve team and behind closed doors games fairly rare, this is a game to give the squad some game time. We’ve had a fairly settled team in recent weeks but sooner or later it’s posisble injuries and suspensions will hit us. Plus the possibility of someone like Nors moving on in January.

The problem is in both checkatrade games so far we’ve not been great and no one has really stood out. So it’s arguably the final chance for some of them to impress in a match environment.

Tollit is the real sad one given what he’s been through and his talent. But he’s not even on the bench these days....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it gives some players the chance to stretch their legs, but that's about it. Regarding fringe players, I really don't think a 90-minute game of pointless football will give MM something to think about. It's going to make no difference at all. I'm sure he already knows enough about his players and what they can/can't do. Let's get this nonsense out the way and move on..

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I won't be going tonight - I may have done if I lived local. I think the stars are perfectly aligned for a very low attendance tonight; boycotts, reserve team playing, early kick off, we're already out of the competition and it's in the middle of a run of 4 home matches.
Having said that I'm sure that MM will make the most of it. Our squad players spend their weeks training and then sat on their backsides at weekends. Pro footballers need to be playing competitive matches so at least it gives that opportunity. I'm hoping that somebody on here goes so I can read a report!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we had a reserve team, this match would indeed be a waste of time. But we don't. So, we need something like this plus the Cheshire Senior Cup and Liverpool Senior Cup to keep our fringe players match fit. Like RLC, I think the attendance could drop below 1000. In the sixties, I remember attending a Cheshire Bowl match against Crewe where the attendance was about 800. It was a freezing cold night, England were on telly and to make matters worse the game went into extra time. The only good news was that Rovers won thanks to a Barry Dyson hat-trick.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How is this going to be competitive?
It will be competitive - and probably more so than an end of season L2 game between two sides in mid-table. The City lads can still top the table and will be trying to impress their coach. Our players are playing for their places in the matchday squad.

drwhoman

Ah Barry Dyson - now there was a striker! Manning was the Cook and Dyson the Norwood! BBTC - I also remember games when I had hiked over from Liverpool on two buses and the train when it was icy and freezing cold and the game had been called off! No social media in those days!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Strong line up. Starts for Buxton, Zoom, Tollit, Smith and akmanndu.

Although I remember thinking the team that played at Shrewsbury was strong

ADD

Player
Norwood
I can't bring myself not to watch this after Saturday's great game. I know I shouldn't but Ifollow it is as I don't live local
smilie1.gif

Also excited by the team....
Also delighted to see Gumbs is on the bench - hadn't realised he was that close to fitness. Shame no Ridelagh. Surprised Williams didn't start mind you so he is obviously not impressing... Passant, Walker- Rice?? and Devine also on the bench.

Player
Manager
John King
It will be competitive - and probably more so than an end of season L2 game between two sides in mid-table. The City lads can still top the table and will be trying to impress their coach. Our players are playing for their places in the matchday squad.
We can play behind closed doors games against league teams to get competitive action. That our first team is being forced to take part in matches against Premier League youth sides is a disgrace and imperils the future of the lower divisions. This match should not be happening.

Player
Manager
John King
Strong line up. Starts for Buxton, Zoom, Tollit, Smith and akmanndu.

Although I remember thinking the team that played at Shrewsbury was strong
Not surprising, as Zoum and Buxton need game time, among others.