• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Maidstone

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s quite frustrating in some ways watching them yesterday. Before the game, Maidstone were sitting above us in the table. We were by far the better side yesterday and just shows what a bit of effort and application can do. If they played with that intensity every game we would be sitting a hell of a lot higher up the table.

I just hope they can keep this up going into the Xmas period and then we might have quite an exciting run in.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
yet the tactics in the second half at Aldershot were down to MM so he needs to take some of the blame
I was not suggesting Mellon's comments are right or wrong, just giving his perspective. Ultimately both manager and players are responsible for our poor form.

drwhoman

Confidence has a lot to do with it all. If you are not scoring many and the opposition are sneaking one goal wins it is not a good feeling whatever level you are playing at. An early goal against the Stones as with one or two other games recently has really lifted the team. New guys coming can also help with a different mindset. Banks and Clarke are obvious examples. As we all know, the key is becoming more consistent. Unlike the last couple of seasons there is no standout team and we are only eight points off the top. Come on Rovers! You are good enough!

Player
Manager
John King
Bad news for us tonight with Aldershot winning despite being reduced to ten men. They will go top, eight points ahead of us, and they play struggling torquay on Saturday. By far the best team I have seen this season and they now have mensah back from injury.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Torquay seem to be picking up a bit recently though. Have to hope they can test the Shots a bit and wear themselves out for their next game v Rovers in the process.

Agree that Aldershot appear one of the stronger sides, though haven’t seen them live this season. They’ve got what looks to be a fairly winnable set of fixtures for December too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Need to hope Mensah gets picked up by a league club

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Fingers crossed for results going our way on Saturday and let us hope that Woking give a decent account against Posh on Sunday.

Player
Manager
John King
I actually hope Woking lose, as if they go through our re-arranged game will probably be postponed gain.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As they're still around the play-off zone, could do with Woking getting bogged down with a replay, but losing it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not a great set of results today. Wins for Macc, Wrexham and Sutton.

Our opponents next Saturday Torquay earn a good home point against in form aldershot.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, a bad set of results. However, we have a game in hand and a relatively easy set of fixtures in December. If we are within five or six points of first place in early January I will be delighted, and I think that is achievable.

The games against Sutton and Wrexham in the next couple of months are massive.

Just got to keep winning.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Be nice to think Kingy is looking down at us as a Deadly Submarine again.
Dover have hit their bad patch, Maccs are coming out of one, Wrexham and Sutton are due.
We are quietly getting a bit of form going and I'm sure they're all watching us climb the table slowly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, let’s hope we have a good Xmas so we can start putting some real pressure on the chasing pack.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we are within five or six points of first place in early January I will be delighted, and I think that is achievable.
I agree. Most teams have played half their games and the table makes interesting reading. I reckon any of the top 16 could get promoted and about 8 teams (including Rovers) could be champions. But if we are to get out of this league, we will need a lot more luck with injuries than we have had over the last year.

drwhoman

Agree re injuries BBTC which do not help consistent performance but that is what we need and a good run of wins. The fact that we are scoring more must give us hope.

M

Mal

Two things bother me as regards next game. 1 whenever there has been an enforced rest period, the team has lost its way in the game following the gap. 2 MM will follow his rotation policy and bring Mcnulty back for Torquay game. I personally believe he should only be used where we need to go into a 'defensive' mode against free scoring teams. And only if he gives up on the attempted cruyff type manoeuvres instead of booting into touch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You were right Boz! A draw foe Woking and they missed a pen!
Also hit the bar at the end. Where there were a couple of hammerings for other NL sides, Woking did well to hold their own, but don't fancy their chances for the replay.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Two things bother me as regards next game. 1 whenever there has been an enforced rest period, the team has lost its way in the game following the gap. 2 MM will follow his rotation policy and bring Mcnulty back for Torquay game. I personally believe he should only be used where we need to go into a 'defensive' mode against free scoring teams. And only if he gives up on the attempted cruyff type manoeuvres instead of booting into touch.
Is McNulty definitely available for Torquay? Personally would stick with the same team v Torquay, including Clarke ahead of Ridehalgh, even if Liam is fit.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agreed, Boz. Anyone out of the side should not automatically be brought back. Our squad is so strong, no-one is indispensible.