• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v maidenhead

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not a classic performance by any means but a vital victory. I thought the display was patchy and we clearly missed both Cook and Clarke. However, with the number of chances we created the victory should have been more comfortable, and the way we let Maidenhead back into the game was frustrating. Both goals were avoidable and in my view Taylor was largely at fault, particularly for the second when he came and flapped at a cross: he has looked poor on crosses in previous games too.

I thought we started both halves strongly, particularly the first fifteen minutes of the first half when some of our football was excellent. However, our play gradually deteriorated with the midfield in particular below par. We missed Cook's presence up front and were much more pedestrian down the left hand side in the absence of Clarke, although Ridehalgh was solid defensively. Nonetheless, we have scored three goals and created numerous other chances, despite missing key players.

Individually, I thought Ginnelly was very impressive with his movement off the ball, particularly the way he came in off the line for the goal. He did not do anything flash but seemed a more mature player than DMH. Norwood worked his socks off as always and Kirby did ok initially up front, but gradually faded form the game: I don't think he is any kind of solution in that position long term. My man of the match would be Steve McNulty, who won everything in the air against physical opposition.

I think we will have to be much better at Wrexham next week, but I think we will be with the absentees back in the side. Only five points off top with sixteen games to play. A great position which none of us would have thought was achievable back in October. A healthy gate today as well, despite the freezing weather.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Got a bit nervy at times but a deserved win in the end. Agree that we missed an aerial threat today and shame we couldn’t have kept Waring for the weekend.

Kirby worked hard but as RLC says, he’s not a permanent option as a front man. Thought Harris broke up a lot but Norburn wasn’t as effective. Jennings was quiet for most of the game. Nors MOM for me as scored one and made one. Missed his one on one though by going round the keeper and messing it up.

At this stage of the season it doesn’t matter how we play. A win is a win. Wrexham’s debutant loanee striker scored a brace today and a real tough game next week. Couldn’t believe the Fylde scorline!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Both of their goals were poor to concede. Things to work on

Player
aldo
good that the city are getting out for them. well done . ps have given a tenner to them as well save the poolies

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kirby involved in Norwood's opener too. Think it was his first start since the broken leg, sounds like he did ok.

Radio suggested their first goal came off McNulty, so don't know how much Taylor at fault for that. Was MM right to dump Pilling so readily?

Missed the last 20 minutes of commentary. A Hughes goal sounds a bit of a novelty, did Mangan make any impact when he came on?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mangan did ok Boz. Linked up well with Norwood once or twice and looked fairly match fit. Just hope Nors and Cook stay fit and available all season as none of our back up strikers are good enough in my view. Although would accep my Alabis and Warings chances have been limited.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Like Sparky, i would prefer Mangan up front to Kirby but I don't think either of them are good enough in the long term.

Player
Manager
John King
You mean at home, I presume, but it's still something to celebrate. Now we just need to improve our poor away record - starting next Saturday. :)
We have won two and drawn one of our last four away matches, so I think it is improving. However, it is a huge game next Saturday and a big test.

drwhoman

On Fylde, I see that Sam Ramsbottom was substituted at half time when Macc were four down. Sounds as if at least one goal was down to him although he may have been injured I suppose.

Player
aldo
OH yes at home cant think of the last time we scored 3or more in 7 games at home not happend in th 40 years ive beensupporting the whites

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
'Silkmen won't find it easy at Fylde so a win could put us right back up there".

I exceeded my own expectations about Maccs with that one :)
Following from what BBTC said, Fylde are definitely flying under the radar. Win their game in hand and only two points behind us.
Disappointed with their two goals. From Lower Kop it was difficult to judge but they did look sloppy goals.
Having seen photos of Macca's leg last Saturday I expected at least a 3 week absence. Own goal apart, which I didn't see properly, he was his usual self.
Kirby? I've never been his biggest fan and he's probably the Marmite player in the squad.
I think the best way to describe his performance was that he "eased himself in". If the ball wasn't 70/30 in his favour then he ducked it.
Understandable after his injury but he was no different before it!!
Nice to see Mangs back on the pitch.
For that brief cameo I'm sure he was more suited than Alabi or Wareing. Ran, harried, made himself available.
If we can at least avoid defeat next Saturday then we have to start believing.

joe

Thought goalie should take some blame for the goals we conceded. He does not look confident. Pleased with Kirby for contributing after a long lay off. I also think Mangan showed his enthusiasm and running when he came on. I think he should be used more often.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I forgot how pacey Mangan was! GK did fine I thought.

Another decent glut of goals yesterday and although a bit nervy conceding the two we were in control for the most part.

Getting quite close at the top now and with Macc taking a thumping there is plenty more twists and turns to come. Exciting stuff.

Also think we played Fylde at a good time because they seem to be really pushing on now.

Huge game against Wrexham now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fylde seem to be forcing their way into the promotion mix. Always a chance of coming up against then in the play-offs...