• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Magpies

Rovers v Magpies
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really impressed by Rovers that half. Always looking to drive forward and make something happen. Norwood getting smothered by their back line. Need to get him and Pringle in the game a bit more second half. Pleased with the effort so far though. Decent game to watch and healthy atmosphere.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A valuable three points. Thought 1st half we did well up to a point but didn’t test their keeper too much.

2nd half was similar until Pringles burst forward when he fed Jennings who did the rest.

Disappointed we didn’t get another but defensively we were excellent with Monthe and Ellis on top form.

3 wins from 4. But much tougher tests to come

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A vital and deserved victory for Rovers. The game was exactly what I expected: County were well organised and physical, with a lot of experience and the second half in particular was a real battle at times. In the twenty minutes after half time, it was difficult for us to get the ball down and pass as we wanted to. However, I thought in the spells when we were on top, particularly in the first half, we played the more imaginative football, created better chances and deserved to win.

There were a lot of good individual displays. Perkins was impressive once again, Morris's workrate was excellent and Monthe was immense at the back. However, I thought Pringle was man of the match. All of our best football in the first half went through him, and he had the composure and quality to thread a perfectly weighted through ball to Jennings in the second half, in a period of the game where we had become quite ragged and Notts were on top.

I know what Sparky is saying about bigger tests to come on, but in a sense a victory like that, against a team fighting for their lives with a lot of decent players, tells you as much about the character and quality in the squad as a win against the top seven.

The league table looks incredible now, with Rovers only two points off fifth place. Who would have believed that was possible a few weeks ago ? If we can get a point at Exeter next week, with two home games to follow, I will be delighted.

drwhoman

Good win and a goal from Jennings! Am I right in thinking that both Cook and Norburn were sent off for their respective clubs on Sat?!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Totally hoarse after that. What a contribution from the crowd last 15 to keep them going.
As the game wore on it was clear that any chance would have to be taken. Really intelligent hold up work and pass from Pringle and great finish from CJ.
Can't point the finger at any player today for being a weak link.
Wouldn't swap a 9-0 NL drubbing for that.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Good win and a goal from Jennings! Am I right in thinking that both Cook and Norburn were sent off for their respective clubs on Sat?!
Yep, Cookie after about 10 mins or so!!
Difficult days for Saddlers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both Cook and Norburn’s teams won though. Cole Stockton also got an injury time leveller for Wrexham.

Rovers played fairly well, but always had the feeling a goal wouldn’t be enough. Thankfully wrong about that.

Player
ian goodison
really enjoyed the game!!!! rovers don,t do easy do they? thought the crowd were fantastic 1st half a great save from their keeper to prevent an own goal with conor going close, 2nd half tit for tat until that great break from pringle & great finish from conor, praying for a 2nd to calm the nerves, thought ellis & monthe were rock solid perkins was everywhere, thought banks put some quality passes through when he came on, all in all great 3pts

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was interesting that the 3 match sponsors all selected different MoM; Monthe, Jennings and Pringle. You could make a case for all of them. Norwood was subdued by his standards, but still battled hard and Scott Davies was barely tested, but mixed up his distribution well. Otherwise all were up to par or exceeded it. Banks looked a bit rusty, though it made sense to bring him on as a more attacking player for McCulloch, given how defensively Notts County had set up.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Given the position they're in, County we're a lot less confrontational shall we say than in the seasons before we dropped in the bin.
Remember the game that got abandoned and Robbo missed a penno?
Would be a shame if oldest FL club dropped out.
I doubt they shed any tears for us but I'll rise above that.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Notts were not as cynical as Allen's team, but I still thought they were pretty physical and were allowed to get away with a lot by another poor referee. Norwood was manhandled all game and did not get any protection.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers were excellent today. A real hard fought win, but a win that shows we have the stomach for a fight. Fair play to Notts, they battled and worked hard but were up against an excellent Rovers defence who gave them scraps throughout the game and we never really looked troubled at the back. Having said that we also struggled for clear cut opportunities but kept plugging away until we found some and was taken in style by Jennings who was excellent today. They all put a shift in and is excactly what you need at this point of the season when teams are either fighting for points at the top or scrapping for points at the bottom.

Hard to choose a MOTM as they all worked hard as a team. Norwood struggled a bit today not because he was below par, far from it, he worked just as hard as the others but he was marked out of it in the first half and whilst he enjoyed a bit more freedom in the 2nd half he was given no protection from the referee and I thought Notts whilst not dirty, were quite physical at times and were allowed to play that way.

Two points off the playoffs, and what a great time to see Rovers hit some form and we have it all to play for. The crowd was a good one, the SWA were in fine voice, we kept another clean sheet, got another three points and who would have thought 12 months ago we would be battling for a play off place with 12 games to go. Great time to be a Rover.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A thoroughly deserved win without really hitting top form against a well organised but limited side with little ambition and quite a few has beens.

The ref was very poor he clearly didn't realise it is only the keepers who can handle the ball !

Our midfield looks stronger by the game and the competition for places in that area is very healthy.

Hopefully we can beat Exeter next week and keep our recent improvement up

ADD

Player
Norwood
That was another impressive performance at times whilst being workmanlike at times. Norwood as pointed out was subdued/ marked out of it but Jennings played very well and for me Perkins was excellent and arguably MOM as he has calmed down the midfield which before his arrival was all hell for leather but wasteful. County were never going to be easy to beat today and were very well organised so I think that the 3 points was an excellent achievement. Incidentally their 19 year old keeper looked a darn sight better than the keepers we have brought in on loan over the past couple of seasons... one to watch I feel.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Schofield is on loan from Huddersfield and they rate him so i'd expect him to move a league up on loan next year.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've never known such celebration after a 1-0 home win over the team at the bottom of the league. ;) But seriously, from now on every game is important, every point will be hard won and every victory will be celebrated. A win on Saturday will guarantee we move into the play-off zone.

We now have quite a strong squad. Just look at Saturday's bench. I'd be happy to see any of them start. Add to that the injured McNulty, Gilmour and Ridehalgh - and don't forget Ben Tollitt will be returning soon. When all players are fit we could just about field two complete teams of League Two standard.

Last edited: