• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Liverpool

M

Mal

Perhaps there is an an argument that if we have a similar fixture at an early stage in the future, we should arrange a game before it as preparation. Had some team-building event not been scheduled at the same time, the Heswall game could have done that job. The money we make from the Liverpool friendly is invaluable, but while accepting the limited weight which should be attributed to friendly results, a closer, tighter game could have done more for morale. Whether that was ever achievable, given the strength of our opponents is a moot point.
True, giventhe wage bill is in excess of £200 millon a year for Liverpool

Player
Jonny Morrisey
The money we make from the Liverpool friendly is invaluable, but while accepting the limited weight which should be attributed to friendly results, a closer, tighter game could have done more for morale. Whether that was ever achievable.

I'd like to think Boz that morale certainly wouldn't be affected by this Liverpool result. The players and fans will take it for exactly what it is, a money spinner. They'll have learnt a few things from it I'm sure but they'll be firmly focused on Lairds without dwelling too much on Wed night. Great bit of income, nice to rub shoulders with a few internationals, but the real prep starts now. Focused on finishing as champions and getting out of this league (he says relatively confidently ).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
White Squaddie, I agree that no great weight should be attached to the result and there was no expectation that we'd do anything but lose, so don't think it would have a deterimental effect on morale. However, if we'd been able to give Liverpool more of a contest, this would have had a benefical effect on morale in my view.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
However, if we'd been able to give Liverpool more of a contest, this would have had a benefical effect on morale in my view.

Unlikely we could ever make it a contest with the side they put out.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
And more importantly, this game had to be scheduled to fit into Liverpool's pre-season plans not ours. Financially we should thank Liverpool for sending such a strong side to ensure the gate was such a good one. In our current situation the saying "Beggars can't be choosers" really does hold true. Maybe in future years we can dictate certain things but where we are now reality must prevail.