• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Liverpool

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not a match I am particularly looking forward to as I don't relish being surrounded by a load of tunnel rats, but I suppose the money from this game is important after what happened with Wirral Live. It sounds like Klopp will play a full strength team, which will delight those Wirral residents who have finally decided to get off their backsides and watch a live game at their local ground.

I am excited about seeing the new players and I would imagine Dunn, Norburn, Alibi and Waring will all get time on the pitch. I just hope we can avoid a heavy defeat and the stewards manage to keep their 'followers' off the pitch after what happened last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I doubt I'll get to any of the home friendlies. Hope we make a reasonable return on the game and don't pick up any injuries. In terms of team selection, given the lack defensive recruits, Gumbs must be given an opportunity in pre-season to play alongside McNulty, Sutton etc, so the need for further defensive recruits can be properly assessed. Think Alabi is a bit behind on training so wouldn't be expecting him to start this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not too bothered about the result but it'll be nice to see the new faces. Alabi was saying he's looking forward to the game and hopes the fans get to see what he's about so expect him to appear at some point.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can't make this one but look forward to hearing how the likes of norburn and Alabi do. Hopefully Dunn will have a point to prove against his former employers and has had a good pre season training schedule under his belt.

Defence will be interesting without Vaughan and Ihikwe in terms of where the likes of Sutton, Buxton, Dugan and gumbs fit in.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Just watched first half on the net as you do!
I can see the financial benefit of the game but in footballing terms question what the players get out of it.
90 mins of attack v defence must be pretty demoralising and unless Reds second string show some weakness then that's what we are looking at.
Great to see Jay back. Looks as lively as ever.
Just hope we make their keeper touch the ball other than for a backpass!

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Just watched first half on the net as you do!
I can see the financial benefit of the game but in footballing terms question what the players get out of it.
90 mins of attack v defence must be pretty demoralising and unless Reds second string show some weakness then that's what we are looking at.
Great to see Jay back. Looks as lively as ever.
Just hope we make their keeper touch the ball other than for a backpass!

What link are you using Cowshed Kid??

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any thoughts from those who were there or watched the game? Liverpool line-up looked strong, but they managed a much more convincing win than last season's equivalent.

Player
Manager
John King
Other than the money, I am not sure what we get from this fixture. It must be a nightmare for Mellon to set up a team for a match like this so early in pre-season, when the players have not even got basic match fitness. Regardless of the opposition we were not great and should have kept the ball better, but it is difficult to be too critical. True to form, the pitch took a hammering from an invasion at the final whistle.

There were some positives. Norburn was very impressive in the first half, technically good and better than I thought he would be. We played a 532 with Duggan as right wing back and it was good to see we can use that system if we need to without adding to the squad. I though Luke Pilling was outstanding when he came on and could push Davies for the number one spot this season. Two or three players came on in the second half who I did not recognise, one of whom may have been the new winger, but I did not see enough of them to make a judgement. Dunn played up front in the second half and did not convince and I still see him more as a winger.

I will be glad to get back to proper football at Lairds on Saturday. Really wish the club would knock the Liverpool fixture on the head.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Watched most of the game on LFC TV on internet. Agree with RLC that it was difficult tonight as there is such a gap between the two sides. It was one way traffic for most of the game and clearly, the only benefit is a financial one which I guess at our level is required.

I was also impressed with norburn. Didn't think Dunn or Rokka did that much and neither did the trialist who came on (Nana Owusu ex Reading midfielder/winger). No sign of Alabi who presumably isn't fit yet. Hard to be critical though. Aldo was the co commentator and recalled when Kingys team played friendlfies such as these when there was only 1 league tier between us. Totally different now of course. Eddie Clarke came on second half.

Agree that Pilling did well and Davies arguably was a bit rash giving the penalty and may have done better with the second goal - although it did bounce just in front of him. Scottie will still be number one though unless things go really bad.

It's out of the way now and the up and coming games will be much more beneficial.

Player
Manager
John King
Just to add a couple more things, I did not realise it was Clarke who came on at left back and he was impressive, making a couple of surging runs. Mangan also looked sharp when he came on: perhaps he will have a better season this time round.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That was an incredibly strong Liverpool side, as promised. We did well to keep it to 0-4.

Perhaps Alabi and Waring were still unfit, but I was surprised Gumbs did not feature. I wonder if he's injured or perhaps Micky wanted to give his new back four a thorough workout. If so, how did they do?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I also felt Gumbs should have featured. Bit surprised given MMs recent remarks that we started with wing-backs.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we played 532 because of the opposition: we were hardly going to play an open 442 against Liverpool.

We defended ok on the whole, with two of their goals penalties. McNulty, Buxton and the keepers in particular were impressive.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Are we going to be playing 442 every league game though? I'd have thought it unlikely and have some reservations about 532 as a defensive strategy.

Some suggestion Scott Davies could have done better with the goals, is that fair comment?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm perhaps being a bit harsh on Davies and maybe I need reminding of his form last season. He had a busy night and made several half decent saves. The penalty incident was a stray back pass from Hughes that Ojo nipped in and got their ahead of Scottie. The 2nd was a shot from a good 30 yards that wasn't like an arrow into the corner, but more of a dipping curler which like I said, bounced just in front of Scottie so maybe a bit cruel of me to suggest he should have done better.

Pilling looked good though and my only reservation is that with him signing only a 1 year deal, if Luke isn't our number one at some point this season then he'll leave for first team football. Otherwise I think he would have signed a longer deal.

Agree that Buxton/Steve did very well although I still have concerns about when they come up against pace although they did last night and weren't outclassed. Thinking of the likes of Mensah from Aldershot etc. Cookie looks like he's lost a few pounds and like RLC says, Mangan looked like he had a real determination and hopefully could put pressure on Nors to partner Cookie. I'm still a fan of Mangan and think if he played regularly up front, with a target man, he would score at our level. He probably scores more one on ones than Nors!

As for formation, MM has regularly said we need to be flexible so I think he'll change it at times, depending on who we are playing. Whether people think we need continuity remains to be seen but if everyone was fit, I'm sure it would be 4-4-2 to get the best out of Tollit. Where someone like Connor J fits into that remains to be seen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If the talk of Tollit being out until October or longer is correct, then Micky may have to reconsider his position on playing with wingers as I'm unsure the other player options are compelling at present.

Sparky mentions Connor Jennings, did he get any playing time last night? There was talk of him moving on at the end of last season and Mickey, despite his positive comments when he came in as manager while Connor was injured, does not seem to rate him. He'd probably be one of the first names on the team-sheet if I was picking the team!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, CJ played the whole of the second half. I don't see how he fits into 4-4-2 except as a winger. However, when we play 5-3-2 or use the diamond, he will be,key. I do believe Micky rates him highly,as he wants players who give him different options.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
CJ isn't a winger and wouldn't be happy there. Same goes for Mangan who played wide at Wembley of course. Personally I thought the 5-3-2 worked well at times last season. Vaughan and Rides were genuine attacking wing backs and CJ was in his best position behind the front 2. Of course that system was in part a result of losing Tollit & Dunn to injury and now we have lost Vaughan, plus from listening to MM, he clearly prefers 4-4-2 but will be flexible.

It will be interesting how MM keeps all these players happy. If we start with 4-4-2 assuming Tollit isn't ready, with Dunn on the left, who would play on the right? CJ or Mangan is square pegs in round holes. Kirby I am assuming isn't fit and Rokka may be good but very much one for the future. The diamond may work but where do wingers fit into this?

With Vaughan gone and Tollit injured, I am surprised MM didn't go out and look for another proper right wing back (maybe he has), unless he sees Duggan as an option but I don't think he offers much going forward and I don't think Buxton is the answer as a marauding wing back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting questions, Sparky. I'm sure Micky is still working on the answers. I'm expecting a couple more signings, possibly on loan just a the season starts.