• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Leyton Orient

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our next game is against the Os, who've managed to get some boardroom stability after a couple of dismal years due being run by people who appeared unfit to be in charge of a football club. A lot of last-minute shopping to put a decent squad together, but with little chance for the players to gel before the season starts. Some decent players amongst their number, the likes of Clay, Bonne, who got Lincoln's winner at PP last season, McAnuff and Mooney. They are also not short of pace. Recent form has been poor though,not won in a month and only 1 point from the last 15.

The big question for Rovers will be whether Ben Tollitt starts. After the win at the weekend, my inclination would be to start with him on the bench and try to ease him in gradually. I don't know what the injury situation is with the weekend's absentees, but imagine Harris would return if fit. Will MM stick with the Saturday's 442 midfield diamond or revert to a 532 and give the defence more protection or something else?

With the public transport issues and the fact BT are televising this game, I fear the first sub 4k crowd for a NL game at home. Another game where it's hard to see how things will go, maybe a scoring draw.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Boz says, Orient have some decent individuals with Bonne perhaps being the player we should most fear. He is in good scoring form and has decent pace and movement which could trouble our back four. However, by all accounts they are very poor defensively and play an open game, something which should suit us given our problems scoring goals. With our strong defensive record I think this is a game we can definitely win.

I think we will start with the same team and formation as Saturday, with Cook on the bench. As Harris is unavailable, I imagine Duggan will get another opportunity in midfield. Like Boz, I would give Tollitt twenty to thirty minutes from the bench and probably leave him out completely on Saturday, as he could be targeted in a physical derby game.

All of our other victories this season have been followed by feeble performances, so can we finally get back-to-back wins in front of the TV cameras ? With another winnable game coming up on Saturday, victory here would be a great boost.

Prediction: Rovers victory. I think the crowd will stay above 4,000, as Orient will bring a couple of hundred fans and are reasonably attractive opposition at this level.

Player
aldo
Lets hope we have a good go they are weak in defence. I hope we start with cookie an noors . Lets get on a run hoping as i said the other day a 2.0 win then hope to beat that lot from jester

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I really have no idea on how this game will turn out but fear another poor performance and a dull 0 0 draw

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Like for every other game this season predicting the team and formation is almost an impossibility, however I feel we'll stick with the 442 diamond for this one and with Mottley-Henry making his debut and Tollitt returning on the bench.Also I wouldn't be surprised if Harris returns in midfield as I feel he was rested on Saturday so as to avoid any re-occurance of injury through playing on the G4 pitch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would be gob-smacked if Mottley-Henry started the game.

Player
aldo
Lets play with both wingers an have a go . But if im honest cant see tollitt starting but should get 30 mins second half. Confodent . An lookin forward to a good performance an win

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Surely we will start with the same side as on Saturday and look to bring on the two wingers later, as the game develops.

Again, I think any low scoring result is possible. A home match against an out of form side should be winnable but we don't perform well on TV and can't string a run of two good results together. As I have said before, an early goal will settle nerves (on and off the pitch) and if we score before halftime we should win. Otherwise, we need to be patient and grind out a 1-0. Any win will do. Anything else will put us back.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
So far this season after 1 or 2 decent results we've failed miserably to build any momentum. After the last minute winner from Nors at home to Barrow, we then lost at Maidenhead. Nors last minute winner last Saturday gives us an opportunity to put things right against an Orient side who we should be capable of beating.

Ex Crewe manager Steve Davies is in charge and despite being a decent defender in his time, Orient are vulnerable at the back. Going forward they have good options in Bonne and Mooney, the latter who is decent in the air and will have a good battle with Big Mac.

I'm expecting Micky to stick with Alabi & Nors in the hope that the two James' can do the business. Would be nice for Alabi to get off the mark. Will be amazed if Cook starts even though in my view he should be. As RLC says, suspect the team/formation will be unchanged so will be nice to see Duggan in a midfield role. As ever though I do have a concern we will create enough chances without any real width - we can't keep relying on clean sheets and last minute winners.

I'd expect Tollit to be on the bench and if all goes well, we bring him on for half an hour or so when the game is already won. More likely he'll come on to try and save us with the game goalless or we're losing.

Will be interesting if Ronnie is there as a BT pundit with one eye on the managers position if we lose. A win could see us up to the dizzy heights of 14th!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we start with the two wingers, them you need Cook up front. Norwood’s no mug in the air, has headed a few decent crosses in for us, but Alabi’s aerial ability seems limited. Mottley-Henry is an unknown quantity in terms of match fitness and it would go against MMs cautious approach to young players to put him in the side straight from the off. I think BBTCs suggestion of starting with the same side as won at Bromley makes most sense, but it wouldn’t totally surprise me if we reverted to a back five.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I forgot Orient also have another big striker in Matt Harold and defender Mark Ellis who played against us for FGR last season when on loan from Carlisle. Some decent individual players but they haven't won on TV in their last 5 games and had a pretty woeful September so another decent opportunity for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I have a feeling it will be the same old same but hope I’m wrong. You’d think there would be a bit more confidence after the win at the weekend.

I actually hope it’s quite an open game and something to watch instead of the usual nonesense we’ve been subjected too.

It will be great to see Tollitt again and I hope by the time he’s introduced we have a comfortable lead so it’ll be a nice return for him.

Player
aldo
Im realy looking forward to the game . Dont know wye but am cant wait . Come on boys cheer us up xxx

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Another game I'll miss. Even though I've got BT, I'm away for the week and we've only got Freeview here! Although the TV money will be useful, I hope the gate will not be too reduced and there is still a good atmosphere. As only the real fans will be there, it shouldn't be too quiet.

drwhoman

If they are going to play 442 we can perhaps see why the fourth choice centre back was sent on loan for a month. No Duggan on the bench which is a shame but it's composition is clearly aimed at winning the game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There's logic bringing Cook in for Alabi, if there are to be more crosses into the box. Wonder if Tollitt will be used at the apex of a diamond rather than out wide. I have reservations about starting Ben tonight and hope am proved wrong.

RLC said Hughes had an indifferent game at Bromley, yet he stays in and Duggan, who was decent in his correct position, doesn't even make the bench. I agree with RLC, no subs capable of playing in a defensive position, think I'd have had Duggan (presuming McEveley still unfit) ahead of one of Mangan/Alabi there. Being diplomatic, it's a brave selection changing a winning side significantly, let's hope it pays off.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Had decent chances. Just glad we equalised. Tollitt off. Hope that doesn’t prove costly.