• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Leyton Orient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
First home game of the season, one which we won comfortably 2-0 last season.
Our opponents had a good win on penalties over Championship newbies Charlton in the League Cup, like Rovers having to play 120 minutes.

A couple of selection dilemmas for Ronnie. While Kay did well in a makeshift central defence, it would be a surprise if Ash didn't line-up alongside Gibson. Further forward, Cassidy is likely to return at the expense of Stockton, although Jake hasn't looked his best in pre-season.

Orient don't seem to have made any eye-catching additions over the summer. Dean Cox probably their best player, former Rover Ben Chorley still with the Os, but out of favour.

Prediction. It will be interesting to see the crowd size, but the visitors aren't likely to bring more than 150, so we'll do well to exceed 5k. Expecting a close game with goals, either a score-draw or narrow Rovers victory.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tricky game but i fancy us to nick it 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
They have some dangerous players with Cox and Lisbie, but I am confident about this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing Palmer and Thompson for the first time, plus Akpa Akpro.

Ash has to come back in so Kay will make way I am sure.

1-0 to the superwhites for me (Robinson). Positive comments from Ronnie as ever:

"I believe we'll be competitive. We're a better team than we were last year, we've got better players and pace in the side.
"Tranmere supporters should be licking their lips and looking forward to the season.
"I'm not saying we're going to win the league and I'm not saying we're going to go down.
"But I would like to think that, with the squad of players that we've got, anyone who comes and watches us will get a performance from us."

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think it will be a good win for us at 3 -1:)

However, low crowd - say 4,390 :(

Player
Goodison
I'd like to see Cassidy play instead of Akpa-Akpro as I'm not convinced that he's any good, whilst Stockton played well on Tuesday and looks like a very good player. I don't think its a good message to send to a young player if he doesn't play - you get dropped for a loanee even if you score.

I think the crowd will exceed 5K, you tend to get a slight increase for the first game of the season and Everton aren't playing, whilst Liverpool are away. I think we shoud win, although it will be interesting to see how Taylor and Gibson get on, Taylor tends to go back into his shell a bit when Goodison isn't there.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Ronnie should (and will) play what he considers to be his strongest team. That will mean Cassidy for Stockton and Taylor for Kay. He can't afford sentiment. But he's a good man manager so I'm sure he'll take time to explain this to Carl and Michael, who will certainly feature again in the first team soon. Kay's proven versatility will mean he will at least get on the bench, unlike last season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Taylor will replace Kay, but would not be surprised if Stockton keeps his place as he has been impressive in pre-season as well as on Tuesday night. Our strongest team probably includes Cole on current form, as Akpro and Cassidy haven't set the world alight so far (also Jake played 86 minutes for a ten-man Welsh side on Wednesday as the lone striker).

I would expect a 5,000 plus crowd, and fancy us for victory over an Orient side that does not appear to have been strengthened over the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd like to see Cassidy play instead of Akpa-Akpro as I'm not convinced that he's any good, whilst Stockton played well on Tuesday and looks like a very good player.

It's a bit early to write off Akpa-Akpro! Given Ronnie has publically stated his disappointment with Thompson's showing (which might also be premature) one option would be to play AA wide right instead of Thompson. Cassidy and Stockton could then play up front.

Player
Goodison
I just don't think he's very good as he's 27 and averages one goal every 7 games, if he was any good he would have surely played for better teams than Rochdale and Grimsby. When I've seen him before, he's always seemed energetic, but not a great deal else.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Going 2-1 Rovers, AA and JC to score for us, and a nice start to the season as we have no home games for ages after this! \\:D/

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I just don't think he's very good as he's 27 and averages one goal every 7 games, if he was any good he would have surely played for better teams than Rochdale and Grimsby. When I've seen him before, he's always seemed energetic, but not a great deal else.

Bit harsh to write off a player before he's played a competitive game. I remember everyone doing that about Bas and he had a great first season. Wait and see.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For Rovers, he's currently averaging two goals a game!

Status
Not open for further replies.