• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Imps

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Now that was a real good game of football down at Prenton Park. Thoroughly enjoyable to watch, although somewhat nervy in the first half, but RLC gets it spot on again when he mentions MM tactics. What a difference it made playing the extra man in midfield, we were a different team after the break. First half we were all over the show. Couldn't string a pass together, the shape was all wrong, Stockton was next to useless holding the ball up such were Lincolns physical presence and general harrying not allowing us any time on the ball. it was so disjointed, I don't think we tested the keeper once in the first half.

Second half, on comes Gilmour, who was excellent and suddenly we learn how to pass and move again. We matched Lincoln for pace and work-rate and dominated in the centre. That's where the game was won. We didn't have too many chances tonight but the one we did have was taken superbly. A superb lobbed ball from Banks found Norwood one-on-one with the keeper. Hearts in our mouths, but he finished neatly into the bottom right corner.

Everyone stepped up their game in the second half which was great to see as when we do turn it on, we can match the best in this league. Defensively rock solid again with McNulty and Monthe proving too much for Akinde and Rhead when he finally lumbered on.

Little bit disappointed with Norwood in the closing stages. Typical Norwood though. Acts first and thinks later. You could see he had the "ohh sh*t, that was daft" look on his face straight after he kicked the ball into the net. Let's hope we can find a goal threat on Saturday without him.

Got me buzzing for a few days that one. SWA!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wasn't there, and going only by imps website, Scottie has earned us three points - after losing us two on Saturday he's still in credit !
He made some great saves tonight.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nah, that is not true. He did not actually have that many difficult saves to make. We were seriously under the cosh in the first half, but their finishing was poor, and some of our defending was heroic.
I think his best save was within the first few minutes when Akinde rose to head into the bottom left and Davies not only saved but managed to scoop it away from danger at the same time. They all deserved the credit tonight after that second half showing.

It is something to ponder though. Does Micky look towards the 451 against decent footballing teams?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think his best save was within the first few minutes when Akinde rose to head into the bottom left and Davies not only saved but managed to scoop it away from danger at the same time. They all deserved the credit tonight after that second half showing.

It is something to ponder though. Does Micky look towards the 451 against decent footballing teams?
Davies was excellent but I still think McNulty's performance was key. But as you say, they were all brilliant tonight.

Player
aldo
was not there just got in from wk what an amazing win did not think we would . now can we follow it up on sat . noors is a numpty but i love him. big steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv is a legend and scottie made up for his cock up at mk . what did the turn out look like i know it was just over 5k abt 4 ockock

Player
Manager
John King
The gate was 5,464. A bit disappointing, but PP was rocking nonetheless.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Great stuff! I see our defence is amongst the best in the Division. A bit more punch up front and we would be well and truly in the mix. The change at half time was obviously key and why not if your centre forward is not offering any threat to the opposition? Someone on this blog (Ian?) talked about bolstering the midfield before the game. They were obviously right!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a great atmosphere. I haven’t felt that good since the Ebbsfleet 2nd leg when we booked our trip to Wembley.

A game of 2 halves. They were all over us in the early stages. Buxton struggling with Andrade and we almost looked to be playing for a point after 5 mins like we were the away team.

Big credit to Micky for the change which gave us more bodies in midfield. Stockton was once again very limited and rightly take off.

2nd half much better and we had them rattled and Nors finished well on his left foot. We defended brilliantly from then on - not many teams will keep a clean sheet against the imps this season.

Nors sending off was stupid. Yes the first wasn’t a yellow but it was an obvious offside for the 2nd. He says he didn’t hear the whistle but who knows. Gutted he’ll miss Saturday but a chance for Mullin against his former club. Micky will have a dilemma as to whether to stick with 4-5-1/4-3-3 against weaker opposition or go to 4-4-2

Credit to Cowley coming on the pitch at the end and shaking all our players hands. Really proud of the boys after that performance.

Can’t wait for Saturday now!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The gate was 5,464. A bit disappointing, but PP was rocking nonetheless.
Lincoln brought over 400, a decent number for a Tuesday night, so SWA turnout slightly down on what you'd expect. Shouldn't detract from the excellent performance though.

drwhoman

It will be interesting to see the turnout for the Macc Home game which I believe is a Friday night? We owe them for sure after last season. Their start has been ordinary but a local derby is always a different thing. BTW I see that another rich man’s plaything, Salford, are top of the NL.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wow what a game that was, a real game of two halves McNulty class Monthe similar, the change at half time certainly changed things around Gilmour looked a player on that showing and it shows we have options to change the system as and when is needed.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Sounds like Gilmour put on a show.
Strange how things work out. He may not have even made the bench had Jay been fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds like Gilmour put on a show.
He was very good when he came on. Really confident. He was great in possession and was always trying to make something happen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen the goal. What a great pass to Norwood!
Agreed. Was Banks back to something approaching his best?

The first booking for Norwood was ridiculous, in a nowhere position where he was more sinned against. The second yellow was stupidity, even if he didn't hear the whistle, the ARs flag was clearly raised.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Micky has a big decision to make ahead of Saturday. Do we stick with the classy trio of Banks, Gilmour and McCullough or play with two strikers ?

The three-man midfield worked brilliantly in the last two games but I am not sure it would against teams like Morecambe and Macclesfield. Lincoln and MK both attacked us at will and vacated midfield, but if team sits deep against us we could get bogged down with that formation. There is no doubt it really suited Banks last night though.

It is a pity the football can't always be as good as it was last night.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Re the Norwood sending off and 1 match ban, this might actually be a blessing in disguise. He could probably do with the rest and he'll be fired up for his return. Yes it's a worry where the goals are going to come from but it looks like we have some real depth in the squad this year and Saturday will be an opportunity for Micky to mix it up, try a different option up top and give someone the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Great result, up the whites!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Re the Norwood sending off and 1 match ban, this might actually be a blessing in disguise. He could probably do with the rest and he'll be fired up for his return. Yes it's a worry where the goals are going to come from but it looks like we have some real depth in the squad this year and Saturday will be an opportunity for Micky to mix it up, try a different option up top and give someone the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Great result, up the whites!
I agree with everything you say, Gray, although the jury's still out about how much quality we have up front without Norwood. Mullin has had his moments, Stockton seems to have lost his mojo and Akammadu can't even make the bench. An enforced change resulted in Gilmour's successful introduction. Wouldn't it be great if two from Mullin, Stockton and Akammadu each bagged a brace on Saturday?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d prefer to have Nors. He’s a fit lad and probably doesn’t need a rest. Plus we’re hardly free scoring without him.