• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Imps

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Difficult game against the table-topping Imps, whose squad has changed significantly since their NL promotion.

Will there be any change from the weekend line-up and Jennings operating more centrally? I think Micky will probably start with a similar formation.

This could be a 7k+ attendance at the weekend, but probably closer to 5.5k on an October Tuesday night. The visitors favourites and I'd gratefully accept a point.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Boz, I would gladly accept a point. Lincoln surely have the strongest squad in the division, with quality players in most positions: Akinde, Anderson, Frecklington and our old nemesis Bruno Andrade.

I am unsure how we will line up tactically. We played five in midfield at MK Dons, but they are a passing side whereas Lincoln are a bit more direct. At Prenton Park Micky might feel obliged to start with a 442. I would expect to see the same starting eleven as Saturday.

With 4-500 Lincoln fans expected and the league leaders in town, I would expect the crowd to top 6,000.

Player
aldo
with only 4250 might be 5500 crowd witch would be a dam shame . its gonna be a tough game we need a few goals as they are not flowing . could be time for dmh to be dropped not playing well send him back . get williams on the bench or drop jennings for him we need quality . and jenno seems out of sorts . stockton needs a goal and noors needs to find the net again could be a long night . heart says win head says no chance. so will go draw

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very tough game this one. I'd be surprised if we came away with points. They are flying at the moment.
I would be tempted to lump a couple of them in midfield to give us some control however I think Micky will opt for the 442 approach. If that happens, everyone has to be bang on form. Wingers have to be flying, midfield has to step up and defensively we cannot afford errors.

I'd be pleased with a draw and a good performance.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cowley's Braintree were a breath of fresh air and one of the best NL sides seen at PP. His NL Lincoln side were more functional, but got the job done. It will be interesting to see with all of the squad changes since, whether Lincoln are more of a footballing side now. There is a bigger gulf between the Imps and us than there was in the game with Macc last season, hope the scoreline doesn't reflect that!

Agree with CK re Connor, hope we get to see the best of him in a more central position.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is as tough as it gets against the team who are most likely to win the league this season, I would be happy with a point but think they will nick it 2 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the link CK. I like DC. Always seems respectful and is doing an amazing job at Lincoln. The more I think about the game, the more I think we'll get beat, although I'm probably be unfair on the lads. They have been excellent this season and defensively solid. This will certainly be a test of how far we are from one of the best sides in the league although we did a good job against MK Dons, so who knows.. I hope it's an exciting, open game and we score more than they do! :D

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Akinde plays his battle with Big Steve will be one to watch

Player
Manager
John King
I think this Lincoln team play more football than their NL side. They were actually quite limited technically back then, but have some very exciting attacking players now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprise, though might have found a place for Harris on the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This is tough going against a dangerous team. Our ball play has been shocking. Panicking, kicking it anywhere. Back two have been solid again.

Need changes as I can’t see this staying 0-0 for long. Did we have one shot that half?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Gilmour on for Stockton. Sounded a very one-sided first half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’m exhausted. More later.. SWA!!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'm in Benidorm getting WhatsApp updates from my son.
Had to ring him after 92 mins and stay on call til whistle went.
TREMENDOUS.
Nors a bit silly but at least it's only one game ban.

Player
Manager
John King
Superb result and we deserved it for that second half performance.

Mellon outfoxed Cowley tonight: Lincoln could not cope when we switched to a three-man midfield in the second half and from looking like a boxer on the ropes just waiting to be floored, we played some wonderful, slick football and dominated the half.

The game was almost a mirror image of the match at MK on Saturday, albeit against a much stronger team. We started incredibly sloppily, giving the ball away cheaply and failing to get tight enough to the opposition. We could easily have been three down after fifteen minutes, and only some defensive heroics from Davies and McNulty - who was awesome tonight - kept us in the game. Adam Buxton had his poorest game in a Rovers shirt and was roasted by Andrade and with Lincoln dominating us physically all over the pitch, we could not get a foothold in the game.

The half time substitution and change of shape to 451 transformed the performance. Harvey Gilmour was brilliant, as on Saturday, and our midfield suddenly came to life. Norwood and Smith were immense and tormented their back four with their pace and movement, and Zoum was great on the left hand side. Some of the attacking football was great to watch, and it made me wonder whether we should play two strikers aginst the better sides. A 433 / 451 suits our passing style more and gives us real control in games, and Norwood is still a major threat operating as a lone striker.

It was a fantastic team effort but I agreed with the sponsors' choice of Macca as man of the match. Saw off Akinde after sixty minutes.

The only negative was Nrowood's red card but for now I will just savour the victory.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An unexpected win for Rovers, particularly after what sounded like a very one-sided first half. A tactical victory for Micky, it didn't seem like the Cowley's reacted to the extra man in midfield?

Sounded like Norwood's first yellow was unlucky, but the second simply daft. Hindsight is wonderful, but perhaps Micky could have pulled him earlier. Mullin might be capable of being a lone striker but less sure of Stockton, so probably two up front at the weeend.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Wasn't there, and going only by imps website, Scottie has earned us three points - after losing us two on Saturday he's still in credit !

Player
Manager
John King
Wasn't there, and going only by imps website, Scottie has earned us three points - after losing us two on Saturday he's still in credit !
Nah, that is not true. He did not actually have that many difficult saves to make. We were seriously under the cosh in the first half, but their finishing was poor, and some of our defending was heroic.