• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Halifax Town

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A chance to get rack up a couple more points with a few home games coming this week.
Rovers' next opponents are The Shaymen who have had a pretty dismal start to their league campaign losing all three games.

Surely this will be a chance for Rovers to collect three points and like GB says, 10 points out of 12 would be an impressive start. However, we all know what happens when the underdog visits Prenton Park!

I would start this with a really positive attacking formation. Mainly the two forwards need to be quick and agile two get round the Halifax back four and cause some damage.

Looks like this game has come too quick for Liam Hogan who limped off against Braintree so would expect Martin Riley to fill in at the back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have all spent most of the last two seasons wondering when the next win is going to come, so it's great to be able to be go into this match with some confidence. The team has the measure of what life is like in the National League. My only caveat is that by now teams ought to have the measure of us, meaning that those who play cautiously as if it's like their cup final (like Woking and Braintree) make life difficult for us. I would expect Halifax, given their three defeats, will give little away - especially if they get the first goal. However, ninety minutes should be enough to prize open their defence and we should not concede if we stay disciplined at the back.

Even with Riley replacing Hogan, I'm confident. I'd be more confident if we started with Norwood or Margetts up front with Mangan, but I expect GB to keep faith with all his fit players. I predict 2-0, one in each half, both scored by recognised strikers.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Halifax have conceded a lot of goals this season and their confidence must be fragile and, like Ian, I hope we get at them from the kick off tomorrow and play with a high tempo. Riley looked decent at centre back on Saturday so Hogan should not be too big a miss.

Grimsby and Wrexham have thrashed teams in their opening home games, so it would be nice for Rovers to lay down a marker with a convincing win tomorrow.

I think we will get another reasonably healthy gate of about 4,500, including 2-300 Halifax fans.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin is reported to have said Mangan, Norwood and Riley aren't fully fit. Which may account for Stockton appearing in the starting xi, but doesn't explain the total absence of Margetts. Hogan looks certain to be absent while I would replace Stockton with Margetts from Saturday's line-up.

Would expect a gate size similar to RLCs sugestion. No prediction re outcome, but it would be nice to see Maynard come good against his former club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to get back to winning ways tonight, can see them making it difficult for us to beak them down going for a 2 0 win

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Info from Boz re GB comments about the fitness of Mangan, Norwood and Riley. I knew Norwood had some catching up to do, but was fit enough for the odd appearance. However, surprised to hear about Mangan given he has had a start - so must have been good to go...perhaps he picked up a knock. If they park the bus I don't think it is a game for Cole - so any two from the other three for me...depending on fitness.

A win with another clean sheet would be fine, but like RLC - I would love to put a marker down.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit better. Margetts and Mangan start.

Player
Manager
John King
A good performance and a deserved win for Rovers. Halifax came to frustrate with their 4-5-1 but, in truth, we had so many chances inside the eighteen yard box we should have been two or three up before we finally made the breakthrough.

Although there were frustrating periods in the game, I thought our attacking play was improved tonight. There were some great link-ups between Mangan and Margetts and their movement and awareness was impressive. Defensively, I thought we were awesome again. There were a couple of nervy moments and they had a few decent efforts from distance, but they did not get behind our back four all night and I could not see them scoring other than through a worldy.

In fairness to Halifax, they played some decent stuff and caused us a few problems in the first half. However, after half time they parked the bus completely and it is credit to Rovers that they kept plugging away to get the win.

Individually, I thought Riley was really good at the back, both defensively and on the ball. Ridehalgh had another good game, albeit I though he should have been switched to the left wing to give us genuine width. However, my man of the match would once again be Jay Harris, who covered every blade of grass.

Another excellent gate and a really positive atmosphere at PP. Roll on Borehamwood.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't grumble. Another win, another clean sheet and a healthy gate. I've seen enough from these four games now to guess how this season is going to pan out. Mostly the opposition frustrating with the onus on us to get the goals to win the game.

The teams we have played have in all fairness been fairly toothless up front, whilst working hard like Halifax have really nothing to trouble us. They played two big guys at the back and their no.50 especially was on the end of everything in the air. Not sure why we kept lumping it up to him as our most creative play was on the floor.

Mangan looks like he's got some goals in him, as long as he gets the service and wasn't convinced by Ridelagh on the right and Maynard on the left. Defence looked solid again and Harris was excellent. Jennings was a bit too quite in the middle but the team is shaping up nicely and the league position is a healthy one.

Roll on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Halifax edged the first half, although we had more chances. They came close to scoring twice, a ping-pong in our area coming off Riley and a shot at the end of the first half from outside the area which Davies turned round the post. It was a moment of class that ultimately divided the sides, a great ball from Ridehalgh cooly finished by Mangan.

Brabin sounded smug about his 'masterstroke' of playing Ridehalgh on the right, which was reminiscent of previous management putting square pegs in round holes. The good link-up play with Hill on the left was lost by this too. Maynard was perhaps trying too hard against his former club and totally ineffectual. The midfield at times was ineffective, though Harris took control as the game went on. Margetts and Mangan linked up well together and there was more movement up front. However the ball was played in the air far too much, with the inevitable outcome as Ian mentions above..

MoM Scott Davies was assured in the nets, both Sutton and Riley sound in central defence and Jay Harris grew in influence. However I'd say Andy Mangan for his workrate and quality finish.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It could have been a really frustrating night had Mangan not put away his chance near the end. I can't remember a game when we had so many good opportunities to score. A win is a win though.

However I too had concerns about the midfield last night. Up until the goal I didnt think it was working having Ridehalgh on the left & Maynard on the right. I cannot understand why you have the latter who was their player of the season last year & top scorer in a totally unfamiliar position. Yes he worked hard and did ok but he is clearly wasted playing on the left. I said at the start of the season my central midfield 2 would be Harris & Maynard and Jennings as back up and I still think this should be the case. We could then play Ridehalgh left and Mekki on the right or something similar. Maynard is clearly not the most gifted technically but did do well last year with his hustle and bustle driving forward from the midfield into their box. We are not using that.

Thought Margetts & Mangan both looked sharp and I'm sure both will get goals. At times though I still think we need a true target man and although not great last season, I would have looked to have kept Odejayi who can handle himself agains these rugby player like centre halves.

Defence did well and to be fair Liam did set up the goal but against better opposition I think square pegs in round holes could cause problems. Good atmosphere with the fans playing their part too and attendance was good.

Musnt grumble - 3 wins and a draw out of 4 is a very good return. If we create as many chances this coming Saturday as we did last night it should be another 3 points.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What was refreshing was the vibe after the game. A lot more positivity in the air. Keep the wins coming in and we'll see some healthy attendances this season.

Player
Manager
John King
Thought Margetts & Mangan both looked sharp and I'm sure both will get goals. At times though I still think we need a true target man and although not great last season, I would have looked to have kept Odejayi who can handle himself agains these rugby player like centre halves.

I quite strongly disagree with this to be honest. The last thing we want to do against these physical sides is play them at their own game. We looked most dangerous last night when the ball was on the floor and Margetts and Mangan were involved in little one-twos and triangles: we cut Halifax open quite easily on five or six occasions in this way, something we did not do against Woking or Braintree with Stockton in the team.

I agree with the posters above about Ridehalgh being played on the right and I would also prefer to see Maynard in the middle. However, Mekki is not in the same class as the midfield trio of Maynard, Harris and Jennings and I think Brabin wants to accommodate all three, even if we do lose a bit of balance. Personally, I think we would be defensively lightweight with a midfield two of Maynard and Harris and Ridehalgh and Mekki out wide.

I also disagree with Boz that Halifax were the better side in the first half. We were on top in terms of both possession and chances, although they were dangerous on the break.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It took us around 20 mins to really get into the game and in that time Halifax had a few half chances, but I never felt like they were going to score.
In regard to the front two, we have to keep the ball on the floor. We've always struggled playing against big men at the back and for a lot of the game yesterday it was no different as their no.50 was heading everything out. Big strong centre back but no good when the ball is on the floor.

Our goal came from neat play on the floor and the chance for Mangan in the first half (although he was offside) was a delicate through ball. I really hope they manage to keep the ball on the floor and play to their own strengths. There will be a lot of teams in this league with a similar setup to Halifax. Hoofing balls up field will get us nowhere.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with what's been said that it's better to play the ball on the deck and that's true even when Stockton's in the side. There were far too many hoof-balls in this game, which were counter-productive.

There is a conundrum about how we should line up in midfield. I'm not sure we should opt to pick the same trio on the basis that they're more classy than other options if we then select them in a position-like Maynard last night-which nullifies many of their strengths. Sometimes I would argue, balance is more important than class.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Maynard looked a little lost stuck out on the left.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not saying let's go long ball but still think we need to have some flexibility and there will be times when we need a physical presence up top.

Obviously on Tuesday we didn't need one in the end but that won't always be the case and personally if we have 4 strikers, I would always prefer having one who can mix it with the big centre halves as an option.

Hopefully the at times attractive passing football on Tuesday will be enough each week but I wouldn't mind a target man as an option in the squad.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agreed Sparky, we don't want to be a long ball side and there is enough tricky forwards in the squad to get us a result most time - as long as their injury vulnerability does not come back to bite them, But it would be nice to have the physical option. However, the budget may not stretch to another striker and although it has been mentioned elsewhere, I am not convinced it is a role Cole can play. He might be a tad stronger than a couple of the others, but he isn't going to rough up any yard dog centre halves. If we are to bring one in I guess he would need to be the one shipped out on - possibly on loan. Only option if GB was brave enough during the game and a physical presence was required, would be to leave Cole on bench if still here and throw the sub centre back on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another option could be deploy Maynard as a forward for a physical presence up front. Not all game but as a possible changer in the situation Higgy outlines.

Player
Manager
John King
Brabin implied in his interview on Tuesday that we will make further signings as the season progresses once the current group of players have gelled. He suggested that another striker might be brought in, and I would guess he may go for someone with a bit more physical presence than we have already. There is no point signing a big striker for the sake of it, regardless of quality, however; he has to be of similar calibre to the ones we already have.

I would still like to see us bring another wide player in, as I am not convinced by Mekki. I thought it was telling on Tuesday that even when we were struggling to break Halix down in the middle of the second half, Brabin stuck with what he had rather than putting Adam on. I don't think the manager is completely convinced by him either.