• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v guiseley

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It's taken a while this season but it's once again a joy to watch them.
The whole team is buzzing, they all want the ball and the pace of our play has picked up tremendously.
We missed the direct running of DMH but Cole put up a good show and made sure he wasn't any weak link.
Our own CJ and Ollie N are playing so well in tandem and Ollie B just gets better every game. As much as I'm a fan of Hughes we might miss OB when/if he returns more than DMH. Any news there?
Game in hand on Maccs, still to play them here, it could soon be in our own hands.
Who'd have thought that 6 weeks ago.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As much as I'm a fan of Hughes we might miss OB when/if he returns more than DMH. Any news there?
I agree completely with that. Today's game suggested we could cope without DMH, but so many of our passing moves go through Banks. He has been superb.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he’s too good a player at this level really. Shame he didn’t score today with that tight volley in the 2nd half, it would have capped off a fine display.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I know what you mean CK altho banks is a bit more mobile than 'lead in his boots' Gary Jones!

Altho his form in the middle got him a move to forest under david platt but don't think the move worked out. Plus I'll never forget his header on for ned kelly at Wembley.

Back to the game, thought Buxton was excellent today and seemingly at times didn't trust giving the ball to Cole but gave it to Harris as soon as he came on. Larnell worked hard but was frustrating at times. Jury still out on him but he needs games.

As an aside, The drummers were moved from the kop today as people complained about them standing up. Hopefully they'll be at fylde

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I know

As an aside, The drummers were moved from the kop today as people complained about them standing up. Hopefully they'll be at fylde

Our seats on lower kop are literally feet away. It's a double edged sword- great atmosphere with them but recently it's attracted a few, never seen before "stand uppers".
Drummers returned to our bit second half and I think they got more response generally.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It took a very good opening goal from Norwood, shortly after he'd typically missed a one on one, to unlock Guiseley. In the end, the scoreline was a fair reflection of our dominance of possession. For the most part, the visitors tried to play football and didn't indulge in as much time-wasting as I'd expected.

Of the players name-checked, Clarke was beaten for a header by one of the Guiseley giants early on, but it didn't seem to phase him and he grew in confidence and attacking influence as the game progressed. Connor Jennings is a different player deployed in his favoured central position, great finishes for the goals and some good link up play. Surely efforts should be made to extend his contract. However, Ollie Banks edged MoM for me, some great distrubution, kept things ticking over and was unlucky not to score in the incident Ian mentions.

My reservations about Larnell Cole played wide-right were not entirely eased by today's showing. He offers a lot going forward, but against a more attacking opponent, his failure to hold his position could be exploited. A bit of a square peg/round hole situation. Jay Harris didn't look entirely comfortable there either, a bit of a surprise given his decent makeshift full-back performance when Duggan went off injured. Jake Kirby played a decent cameo when he came on and while he won't offer the same level of creativity as Cole, can be relied on to stick to the script.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Contracts is an interesting one and I thought the same after the game. Teams will be sniffing round CJ along with Cook who are both out of contract. Can't remember who else is. When is the right time to offer a deal? Surely now but any offers will depend on what league we're in.

Agree with Boz about Cole. First half time he had a couple of occasions when he was one on one with the fullback who was on a yellow. Both times he stopped and came back onto his right and passed it backwards. It was a bit strange playing a left footer on the right and a right footed in CJ on the left. Both naturally came inside and as we know from CJ, this brings an added goal threat but does limit our wide options, hence bucko and Clarke both had to put real shifts in.

Second half Larnell he was a bit more direct and running at players but didn't receive many passes from Buxton who kept going for the more direct option.

Shouldn't complain tho as we're winning but as RLC points out, against tougher teams I feel we'll need more than what Cole offered today.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky about the wide areas. Buxton had a good game, but with no real width offered by Cole, he was obliged to deliver most of the balls from the wing. In the first half in particular he was crossing from deep positions and the balls were easily cleared, which was reminiscent of the early weeks of the season when we were struggling. You can't rely solely on your full backs to give you width, even Clarke, as good as he is. At the moment it does not matter as confidence is so high, but if we have a slight lull you would think we would have to threaten more from the wings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Contracts is an interesting one and I thought the same after the game. Teams will be sniffing round CJ along with Cook who are both out of contract. Can't remember who else is. When is the right time to offer a deal? Surely now but any offers will depend on what league we're in.
The last few posts have taken this thread way off topic, but let me answer your question right away, Sparky, as it's important. It's easier to say who ISN'T out of contract in June. The following have deals until summer 2019 - Ridehalgh, Buxton, Sutton, Norburn, Tollitt, Norwood, Alabi and Waring. That list includes only four of the present first team. I am sure the club has been trying to extend the contracts of at least half a dozen other players, but no-one has bitten. It could be that they want away. It could be that they are waiting to see where Rovers are playing next August. It is a dilemma for the club as they can't afford L2 wages if they are still in the NL next season.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Off beat here but following the thread, I think, for the right players, we can match L2 wages for the players we want to keep.
Play in front of 5k + fans with us or some of the micky mouse crowds in L2?

Player
Manager
John King
Most of the players are under contract until May, so let's worry about it then. We will have already approached all of the ones we want to keep, and if we go up the majority will stay.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Back to the game, interesting sub choices today with no recognised striker. Jacko was asked about McDonough after the game who just said his loan is up in early Jan.

I guess Kirby can play up front and you would assume at least 2 of mangan, Alabi and waring will be returning shortly. McDonough didn't impress when he had the chance so happy for him to go back to forest