• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Guiseley

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Having lost our last 3 home league games to Eastleigh, Barrow & Dover, the rovers faithful are in need of much pre Christmas cheer.

Guiseley came through the conference north play offs last season after finishing 5th. This included knocking out Dave Challinor's AFC Fylde (Challinor incidentally who I think will be our next manager but that's one for another day).
They have adapted well to the national league and are 10 points away from the relegation zone. Since a 3-1 win at home to Barrow on 7th Nov, they have conceded 5 to Cheltenham and 4 to Eastleigh since then. Sadly we're can't compare ourselves to those two at this present time so I expect Guiseley, given our recent home form, will see this as an opportunity to close the 4 point gap between us and them.

I'm expecting another nervy affair and hope the players are not scared of playing at PP. GB needs to earn his money to get their heads up and ready right from the first whistle.

As for the team, assuming only Dawson is the main absentee and Maynard & Hogan are available. Possible side is:

Davies
Sutton, Hogan, McNulty, Hill
Mekki, Jenno, Maynard, Harris/Tomlinson
Mangan, Norwood

Is it too early to say this is must win for GB? I'm probably being over dramatic but the tide must turn soon..

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Just about agree with everything Sparky. Although not everyone's favourite, I always like the balance Mekki provides and in the same way I believe Ridealgh would provide more balance down the left - either in a 5 man midfield or in a four. Mangan has to play and hopefully get a partnership going with someone - no problem if it is Norwood. How far away is Dawson?

I think we are just about at the must win game for me. The investment seems to have been there and we need to turn things round before attendances slide. Commercially and administration wise the club now seem to have moved up a level...........just hope from a playing perspective we can follow.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't know a great deal about Guiseley, but I have seen them on TV this season and they are a decent footballing side. For that reason I think this game will be different to Dover, Eastleigh and the rest. Guiseley won't come here to get in our faces and punt the ball long and that should suit Rovers.

Like Sparky, I hope Hogan returns to the back four as soon as possible but I am not sure if he will be ready for Saturday. Further forward, I would not mind a front two of Mangan and GTF with Norwood on one side and Mekki on the other.

After recent disappointments it will be interesting to see what the gate is, and any crowd above 4,000 would have to be considered good in the circumstances.

I think we will win this one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unfortunately, missing this one. The manager's remarks after the Lincoln game don't suggest wholescale changes and I wouldn't be totally surprised if we started with an identical line-up to Lincoln. Personally I'd replace Riley with Hogan and Tomlinson with Mekki at least. Unsure where the returning Maynard fits in, as GB prefers Jennings + Harris in midfield, while Sutton has developed the attacking side of his game in recent matches at right-back and it would be harsh to drop him.

Guiseley have been hit with suspensions at the back, but are a decent side going forward. Weather permitting, I'd expect more football than some of our recent encounters.

Prediction: Agreed that the crowd may fall reflecting recent disappointing home form and a small visiting contingent. Reckon we'll just scrape 4k. Expecting Rovers to end the goal drought in a high-scoring game, but not confident enough to predict a home win.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
GB says the players are in a positive frame of mind and up for Saturday's game......well we'll see, because I agree with Higgy we are fast approaching the must win scenario for Brabin to stay. I also agree with Sparky that Dave Challinor would be a good shout as a replacement for Brabin.
For Saturday, I think Sparky's back four of Sutton, Hogan (if back), McNulty, and Hill look solid. In midfield I think I'd try Mekki, Maynard and Harris with GTF in the hole behind Mangan and Norwood. But I suspect Brabin hasn't got the bottle to drop Jenno and he may be stuck with fitting Tomlinson in, although sticking him on the bench may satisfy the terms of his loan deal.
A win? Maybe, but a goal or two would be nice for starters.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At the end of our long unbeaten run, we were playing well and our form against the better sides and away from home was incredible, despite our embarrassing lapses against the so-called lesser teams. Since then, results (if not performances) have too often reminded me of last season. From now on, if we played at or near our best most weeks, we would certainly make the play-offs and possibly even win the league. However, we can't afford to slip up as often as we have done so far this season. Guiseley is not a "must win", but if we don't start to move up the table soon, the manager and coaches will be under real pressure. All the next three games are winnable and I would look upon anything less than seven points from them as unsatisfactory. Anything less will see us stuck in mid-table.

Guiseley is a town famous for fish and chips rather than football. Along with Boreham Wood (whom we play again a week later), they are the Cinderellas of this league, punching well above their weight. I expect Guiseley to treat this game as Boreham Wood did when they came to Prenton Park. With the size and quality of our squad, if we can't match them for skill, organisation and endeavour on Saturday, then we don't deserve to finish above mid-table.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see GB has come out with the usual clap trap about the players being ready, working hard in training etc etc.. I'm sure he said that last week too after their 2 week rest.

Anyway, I think this result rests largely on the form of our front line. If they can find their shooting boots again we can win this by a few.

If not it could be another disappointing 1-0 or 2-0 defeat.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Surely this is a home win isn't it ? think we will win 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Weird selection from Brabin. Sutton, who's finally starting to develop the attacking side of his game replaced at right-back, but not by Maynard, who's done well there, but Hogan. Maynard doesn't get a place in the starting xi with same old Jennings and Harris in midfield. Mekki in for Tomlinson makes more sense.

Player
Manager
John King
Well, in true Tranmere fashion we made it as hard for ourselves as possible, but we thoroughly deserved that victory. We dominated the game almost from start to finish, created a hatful of chances, and if we had not won it is difficult to see how we would have moved forward. An absolutely massive victory for the club.

Regardless of the scoreline, I had no complaints with the performance tactically or in terms of the application of the players. We dragged their back four all over the place and got into great positions but missed some unbelievable sitters: two from Mangan in the first half, one from GTF in the second. Mangan is hopelessly out of form at the moment, so credit to James Norwood for having the bottle to step up and take that penalty. He played very well today and deserved his two goals.

Individually, the majority of the performances were very good. Mekki put in an unbelievable shift and Norwood was excellent, but my man of the match would be McNulty who was brilliant in possession today and read the game superbly.

Guiseley did cause us problems on the break and we were indebted to Davies for a couple of good saves, particularly a brilliant double save five minutes into the game. Defensively we did ok, but I would prefer Hogan to start in the position he ended the game in, partnering Big Mac.

In general, I thought we showed lots of character and a lot of the senior players stepped up to the plate today. All that was lacking from the performance was composure in front of goal, but hopefully the confidence of the strikers will be boosted by the victory.

It is disappointing that we are still five points adrift off the top five, but a win on Tuesday will put us right back in contention.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fully deserved win for rovers especially after a very good second half performance where we dominated but looked again like we had no cutting edge.

Once again I didn't agree with the team selection. Hogan at right back was odd. Sutton or Maynard could have played there with Hogan in the middle. First half it appeared we had only one up top in Mangan with Norwood restricted in a left sided role. GTF was relatively anonymous in my opinion throughout.

My MOM was Mekki but Jenno was disappointing. Doesn't lead at all and I think it's time we tried Lois and Harris in the middle.

Credit to Norwood though for winning the penalty and scoring when under immense pressure.

I still think we have a real lack of pace in the side and felt GTF was a bit of a passenger today. I'm starting to think with time and space he would do well, but in the hustle and bustle of the national league, he is a luxury we can't afford. Not sure about our average age but we do have quite a few over 30s and I would like a bit more youth and energy.

Good to stop the rot however and have to follow it up next week.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky about the team selection, although the front four were the players I would have chosen and I thought we looked dangerous throughout. Our best partnership in central defence will surely be Hogan and McNulty and both Maynard and Sutton have done well at right back recently.

GTF was poor overall but did provide a great through ball in the lead up to the penalty. Every game he shows flashes of quality, but I would agree with Sparky that his fitness and even attitude are questionable. He did not work as hard as Mangan, Norwood and Mekki today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to be grateful for the win by whatever means. It sounds deserved over the course of the game.
If Mekki was doing so well, why was he subbed?
Woking won today, so no easy game in midweek.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In general, I thought we showed lots of character and a lot of the senior players stepped up to the plate today. All that was lacking from the performance was composure in front of goal, but hopefully the confidence of the strikers will be boosted by the victory.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts about the game. I would have given them credit even if we drew because they did all work very hard. We completely dominated and at times felt like an all out assault on their goal. We played some excellent football and we now have players that prefer the ball at their feet so the long ball is few and far between.

I still have concerns about the finishing as it really shouldn't have taken a penalty in the dying minutes of the game to see them off. We missed some sitters really but onwards and upwards I hope!

Player
Manager
John King
If Mekki was doing so well, why was he subbed?

He had cramp.

Apparently Maynard would have started, but was ill before the game.

As Ian mentions, we played out from the back today and I think McNulty has made a big difference in this regard. Very, very comfortable on the ball for a defender at this level.

Last edited:
M

Mal

Why wasn't Drench at least booked? Also, I notice 10 man Halifax won4 1 at Gateshead (,missing first choice goalkeeper,)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It sounds like a much better performance where for once we got what we deserved. As important as the result is the confidence it should have given the players, particularly James Norwood. Like all our strikers, he's had a lean spell. I had a feeling that once one goal went in, the team would start to play better and so it seemed. I just hope we can keep this up and this isn't another one-off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Why wasn't Drench at least booked? Also, I notice 10 man Halifax won4 1 at Gateshead (,missing first choice goalkeeper,)

Due to the position the ball was in when Drench made contact with Norwood, to the side of goal and not under Norwood's control a booking is the most the referee could have given. It wasn't an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Personally I've no issue with ref's not booking players when a penalty is given in that situation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was in the kop right in front of the incident and it probably was a yellow but you wonder whether the ref thought a penalty was enough given it was going to win us the game,

Norwood was very clever as although he didn't dive, he knew exactly what the keeper was going to do and almost leaned into him a bit.

It goes without saying but we must follow it up with a good result at Woking on Tuesday.