• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Glovers

Player
aldo
well im glad i missed it . it was my little girls birthday today and i wouldn,t have missed it . no matter who or what the game ment . and bye the reports i think it was good one to miss. we need some one in to give nors some comp he seems to have gone right off the boil . if i was mullin i would not be happy not starting . sooner we get banks back the better we do need some more players who can come in and help get things moving . are home form has been fab but wee need to kick on now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, we were too defensive today. It was obvious 532 wasn't working early in the first half. Micky made changes too late. Yeovil were poor and we should have taken a defender off, added more creativity in midfield and really gone for it in the second half. I'm not even sure taking Stockton off was the right move either. I thought he was playing quite well.

Norwood looked frustrated today. There were times when he opted to shoot instead of passing and seemed a bit desperate to get on the scoresheet. Too many long balls, aimless balls, lack of quality with crosses and maybe a case of tired legs. It will be interesting to see what team he puts out against Macclesfield four days before the Spurs game.

Player
aldo
we have to go to macc with a full team so what we are playing on friday the lg is more important than the some micky mouse cup lol only joking but we have to get some thing from macc

ADD

Player
Norwood
Poor once again simple as that - agree the formation was wrong but the players should have been better anyhow. Too many long hoof balls once again and passes to nobody in particular. Sure I don't expect them to play like Barcelona but I do expect them to be able to pass a ball to our man and not keep giving it away so it comes straight back at us. Davies some good saves but zero distribution. Stockton I have been a supporter of his but he seems disinterested though it didn't help when twice he was in acres of space and Nors didn't pass to him for a simple finish. Overall not good enough - Banks is sorely missed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
You say poor 'once again', yet the performances against Southport, Bury and Morecambe were actually fine.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Awful game against a very poor team, when we pass the ball around we look a good side, however yesterday the passing was terrible and we reverted to hitting long and hopeful balls which didn't work

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder whether Micky was reluctant to switch to a back four because McNulty was not fully fit and Monthe was missing ? It was the kind of game where it is easy to be mugged 1-0 with a defensive lapse.

Ollie Banks apparently returns to full training on Monday, which will be a big boost.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was there a pressing need for McNulty to play though? Could have deployed a Buxton-Sutton-Ellis trio at the back.

Player
Manager
John King
He probably did not want to be without both Macca and Monthe: our two best centre backs by far this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was the kind of game where it is easy to be mugged 1-0 with a defensive lapse.
Absolutely. In fact, that nearly happened towards the end of the game when one of our defenders made an error and Davies made a great save. To be fair, they had some decent chances too.

Player
ian goodison
davies making good saves is great but he slowes the game down and gives the opposition time to get sorted, whether the full backs don,t want the ball I,m not sure but just punt after punt is hopeless

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was a team of the season so far for L2 based on the positive influence players have in games. Two Rovers players made that xi, one unsurprisingly being Norwood, the other was Scott Davies. I don't think he gets the credit deserved and his saves earned us a point yesterday. I said earlier that the wing-backs failed to make themselves available for an out ball from the keeper, when we tried to play it out the ball generally went through Richie Sutton, who is not best equiped for that role. Don't know if that was a specific instruction from the manager, puzzling if so. Having read the plaudits for Caprice at Bury, this was one of his worst performances in a Rovers shirt, capped by wellying the ball out for a goal-kick as we pressed for a late winner in added time.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about Davies, but I did not think Caprice was that bad. He was solid enough defensively and was certainly far worse at Notts County and Grimsby.

He was up against Dickinson on Saturday, who is a decent player with a lot of experience.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree about Davies, but I did not think Caprice was that bad. He was solid enough defensively and was certainly far worse at Notts County and Grimsby.

He was up against Dickinson on Saturday, who is a decent player with a lot of experience.
I didn’t see either of those, so accept what you say. Defensively Jake made no major errors, but his attacking play was poor.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Such as the game was yesterday I wouldn’t single players out who were poor in attack. I thought generally they were all poor in attack. Passing, shooting, crossing was all below standard.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You always hear managers say, even after a tonking, that there's "something to take from the game".
That "something" for me, ignoring our current away form, was that the game again proved that even when not hitting the high notes we can hold our own against yardstick teams in this division.
It's frustrating when we watch the likes of Saturday cos I'm sure we subconsciously turn the clock back six years in our minds.
We could've played better, the team selection may have better (though I'll always bow to MM's judgement)....but we got the point, avoided a confidence sapping defeat and move on.
I think the club and MM are so right to remind us what we've achieved in 2018.
Game wise, I expected a 442 irrespective of injuries and thought MM might have changed it a wee bit earlier, though didn't expect Cole to be first subbed.
Smith livened it it up a bit.
The same record playing again but the ref was barely NL level.

ADD

Player
Norwood
You say poor 'once again', yet the performances against Southport, Bury and Morecambe were actually fine.
By "Once again" RLC I meant back to poor again after a decent win against Morecambe even though I feel we were slightly flattered by the scoreline.. In terms of the games you say we were fine in - against Southport considering the opposition quality we were truly dreadful in the first game (as we were against Oxford also) and average in the replay, Bury we played ok yes aside from dire finishing but Notts County we were awful and we scraped a win against Cambridge with another poor performance and followed that with a poor performance against Yeovil.

Player
Manager
John King
In the Southport replay we were fine, at Notts County we were decent going forward but poor defensively. Against Cambridge we were decent in the second half and deserved to win. Some people's expectations are unrealistic given the resources at our disposal and the level we are operating at.

ADD

Player
Norwood
In the Southport replay we were fine, at Notts County we were decent going forward but poor defensively. Against Cambridge we were decent in the second half and deserved to win. Some people's expectations are unrealistic given the resources at our disposal and the level we are operating at.
Think you have summed it up well there RLC, people's expectations are different - whether they are unrealistic or not given our resources is the debateable point. Anyways one thing we can always agree on is wishing for a successful and prosperous NY for Tranmere Rovers. Happy New Year one and all!!!