• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Franchise

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MK Dons have been a bogey team for us pretty much since their inception. Our only victory in the last dozen or so games against them was back in 2010 when Dale Jennings put in a virtuoso performance. However, the Dons come to Prenton Park in poor form: four defeats in the last five games, with four successive losses away from home.

MK were missing a number of key players for their defeat to Carlisle on Tuesday, but reports suggest that some of the key absentees such as Gleeson and Bowditch will be back for Saturday; let us hope not.

We have a few selection dilemmas of our own, with Ronnie hinting that Baggie may get a start after his good showing against the Millers. I think he may start, but only in a 4-3-3 as I can't see Ronnie risking a 4-4-2 given how we were overrun in midfield in the home game against MK last season. As others have suggested, Baggie could just be the key to giving us greater creativity and unpredictability at Prenton Park, in the absence of so many other creative players.

The Dons are fragile on their travels and with Rovers beginning to show some consistency, with the exception of the second half against Orient, maybe this is the game where we will finally end our appalling run of home games without a win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For all the press rave about Karl Robinson, his side continually underachieve and this season is no exception. But this is a difficult match to call. We are due a win at home, but Dons are due a decent performance away. Neither side will be brim full of confidence, so it may be down to attitude and luck. I foresee a low-scoring, tight affair. I've forecast 2-1 in the Prediction League, but that's based on my usual optimism.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They boast the leading scorer in the country, can only see one winner 1 2.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ronnie seemed a bit over-awed of the Franchise in his reported pre-match remarks. While they arguably have a stronger squad than us and on their funding, could be expected to be in the top third of L1. Many of their injured players seem on the mend, though the talented Gleeson remains a doubt.

How Rovers line-up will be interesting. It seems that we won't be opting for the packed midfield, but that raises more questions than answers. Unfit Jennings or out of sorts Hateley as the holding player? If Jennings, will Hateley depose the improving Holmes at right-back? Bell-Baggie instead of who? Should we play another forward alongside Lowe?

Personally, reckon getting anything out of this one is a good result. If we are too gung-ho, the consequences could be Orient re-visited. The concessions to service personnel and senior citizens should keep the crowd just over 4k, but will most likely witness another home defeat.

Player
Goodison
I'd like to see this team:

OFW

Holmes Taylor McNulty Rideleigh

Hately Jennings

Baggie Power Kirby

Stockton

Knowing Ronnie we will go back to 4-4-2 and get overun in midfield again like last time.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Is Lowe injured RTD?..., because if not I would still persist as he has had little service this season, which may improve now as squad improves with injured players returning and the odd loan signing. I understand Ronnie et al wanting to go with BB as without Robbo and Koumas we are low on creativity. I do like the side you prescribe and perhaps given a free role between the midfield and Stockton/Lowe, rather than penned out on the wing will give BB room to express himself. Of course if we play narrower the full backs might need protection. I would go with Hatley or Jenno - if the rest put a shift in we should get away with one holding player?

OFW

Holmes Taylor Stockton Rideleigh

Hateley

Kirby Power Horwood

Bell Baggie

Lowe

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we need to start to win games at home as a point is of very little use, we need to be bold but I cant really see it, we will play with 1 up front as we did the last home game

Player
Manager
John King
If we play 4-4-2 we will get completely outplayed in midfield, as we were in the game against them last season when we had a much better side. With the players we have missing, we don't really have the option of playing with two wide men at the moment.

I like RTID's suggested line up above, but Lowe would have to start surely ? If it was not for his goals we would have one point this season and he is probably as effective in the target man role as Stockton / Sodje.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought we deserved it today for sheer guts alone. We were the better side for the first 40 minutes and MK were very lucky to level with their second shot of the game. However, after both Hateley and Holmes went off injured we became extremely ragged, with Chadwick and Bamford getting much more room in the absence of a holding player. For fifteen to twenty minutes either side of half time the midfield was a mess and when they scored their second - the kind of soft goal we have been conceding all season - I could not see anything other than a defeat.

To give the players credit, we regrouped and battled extremely hard, while still posing an attacking threat through Ryan Lowe, who was absolutely fantastic today.
The cheer at the final whistle was the biggest I have heard at Prenton Park for a routine league game. We are still in the bottom four, but clearly heading in the right direction now.

Man of the match Ryan Lowe, closely followed by the impressive Jake Kirby, who intelligently found space between full back and centre half all game and teed Rowe up for the winner.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
agree with most of what RLC says, was nerve wracking at times towards the end but just held on.

The key moment looked like being Holmes going off injured as we had played well upto that point. We still look shaky in defence and the midfield is rather lightweight but we kept going right too the end.

Lowe ran his socks off and was easily our best player, when he puts in the effort he makes a difference, Mcnulty also had a good game for me.

Just hope the injuries are not too serious to Holmes & Hateley.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC about the guts of the side and the fighting spirit of the team transmitted itself to the terraces. I was glad of dragging myself off my sick-bed and making the game.

It was a strange match. For the first 5 minutes we barely got a touch, yet an error from a weak defensive was capitalised on by Lowe with a great lob. After that the visitors seemed deflated and for a while Rovers were on top, without adding to the score. Holmes has had a lot of flak this season, but he was much better at curtailing the dangerous Banton than his replacements. It seemed that we switched off a bit certainly for their equaliser just before the break and possibly the effort that gave them the lead shortly after the re-start. By then, Hateley had gone off and Power was pressed into service at right-back. I did wonder if playing Horwood there could have worked, given he is a full-back albeit left-sided. After that, the visitors had chances to extend the lead, denied by a debatable offside, then Bamford putting a 1 on 1 the wrong side of the post. However, a penalty got us back into it, then Rowe got a first league goal to clinch the 3 points, despite the nervy finish.

I was also impressed by McNulty, while Lowe worked hard, finished well and seemed eager to get one over against his old club. Kirby, although he was one of those who switched off for their equaliser, generally had a decent game. Rowe, despite the winner, is still too easily brushed off the ball and Bell-Baggie failed to seize the opportunity given by his start.

I don't know if this is a 'turning the corner' moment for Rovers, we can certainly hope so.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Surely one of our best and most welcome results of the season, although that's not saying much. The current team managed something last season's side failed to do, so our squad can't be that bad. To do it despite losing two players and falling behind shows the spirit is there. It will still take a while to get out of danger, but I think we will.

By the way, the stats show a lot of fouls by them and only a few by them. Were they a robust side? They don't have a tough reputation.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
BBTC, they certainly didn't seem that much of a robust side, think there was 1 booking each side although they could have had another 1 or 2 certainly nothing over physical.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The ref was quite lenient with them early on, one or two cautions weren't given. They weren't that physical, but solid, though Rovers had a few players it was too easy to brush off the ball.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nervy finish as is the Rovers way but a very welcome three points. Lot of players at the final whistle looked exhausted, they really put an excellent shift in.

Lowe was easily MOTM. Never stopped all game, and somehow managed to hold up the front line on his own whilst also playing on the wing! Which brings me on to Bell-Baggie. Very disappointed. This was his chance to impress and he did nothing. Lowe was more active on the wing than he was!

Gutted for Holmes and Hateley forced off through injury as I thought they were both having a decent game.

Lowe is really starting to shine now and show what an important player he is for us. First goal although fortunate to receive ball was still well finished. Kept his head for the pen and really wanted him to get a third.

If we can now start picking up points at home and getting the odd win/draw away, we might be OK.