• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green Rovers

drwhoman

A key issue going into the play offs will be whether Norwood can rediscover how to score goals. His work ethic cannot be doubted and his link up play may be good but he is essentially there to score goals. It is unfortunate that Mangan appears to be in an even deeper trough. Two proven goalscorers who are struggling. The play offs will undoubtedly be tight. We will badly need chances to be taken otherwise we will be playing in the National League again next season. Not something that any of us would be excited about!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Depressing news about Harris, depressing result. We go again Friday, but think the best that we can now hope for is some momentum to go into the play-offs.

Wallace hardly made any impression when he came on, and had Harris stayed on the pitch I think we would have won the game.

We have a real problem in midfield now. We need Maynard back, but I don't know how close he is to starting.

Player
Manager
John King
A key issue going into the play offs will be whether Norwood can rediscover how to score goals.

It was not just about Norwood tonight, several players missed good chances. It has been a problem all season and we are far too reliant on Cook.

drwhoman

Agree RLC re the over-reliance on Cook. Where would we be without him? Certainly not in second place. Others must step up if we are to be promoted. And we need to find someone who can take a penalty! (LOL!).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wallace hardly made any impression when he came on, and had Harris stayed on the pitch I think we would have won the game.

We have a real problem in midfield now. We need Maynard back, but I don't know how close he is to starting.
Wallace that bad then? It won't happen due to the manager's reluctance to play youngsters, but if Maynard isn't available, I'd rather Mitch Duggan was given another go in midfield.

Player
Manager
John King
Wallace that bad then?

Showed a couple of nice touches on the ball, but basically yes. Did not cover ground, tackle and protect the back four as we needed him to, with the result that FGR built several counter attacks in the second half. In the first half all their midfield play was snuffed out by Harris.

It did not help that Jeff Hughes was on a booking early on, and could not put a foot in.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Definitely the playoffs without any doubt now, and key to any success in that "lottery" is the seriousness of Harris's injury. Wallace is most definitely not the answer, so hopefully Jay will be back before the playoffs start or failing which Maynard must be his replacement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As always I'm feeling a little more optimistic this morning and like RLC says while it's still mathematically possible let's keep going. SWA!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I felt last night that after an excellent 70 minutes or so we (understandably) started to tire. At that point, Cook was brought on which made sense. FGR were strong at the back with Tilt/Ellis giving nothing away in the air and Cole struggled in that sense. However I thought Connor J at that point was running on empty and would have liked Sousa on to give some energy and a test for their defence. As it was the sub was made but only after they scored (too late). I just felt we needed to freshen it up if we were going to win it as FGR were starting to get a bit more of the ball in our half with numerous set pieces. Similarly Collins could have come on for Norwood who worked hard again.

A few issues to discussion though:

Strikers - Norwood doesn't look like scoring at all. Despite all his hard work/link up can we afford to have a striker at this stage of the season looking so out of form in terms of goals? I guess the answer is yes if we are winning, as we have been, but with another tough game on Friday there is an argument to give Collins a chance - although that is a risk in itself with him being unproven. Cole has done great recently and although MM keeps mentioning Cooks performance (monitored by GPS), has dipped recently, I think he should be playing. At the end of the day and with Nors not scoring, having a 20 goal a season striker on the bench doesn't make sense. Against Solihill, Braintree etc it didn't matter as they were so poor, but coming up against the likes of FGR we need our best striker and Cook is the man. I can't see FGR resting Doidge and Dover doing the same with Miller when they are up against other top 6 sides. I'm not being critical of Cole who has been very good since his return, but we all know who the better striker is and you play your best players in the big games. Set pieces are such a big part of the national league and in the first half especially, we were putting in plenty of crosses in and Cook is much more likely to get on the end of them.

Midfield - Harris out for the season apparently. He has been immense in recent weeks so a massive blow. Along with Dawson (what is the point), Maynard was involved in the warm up before kick off so must be close to full fitness. I didn't think Wallace did too bad last night but a midfield pairing of him and Hughes is too slow. The latter has looked jaded recently and we cannot rely on Wallace who has hardly played in the last 2 years. Hopefully Lois will be back ASAP.

Promotion - certainly won't catch Lincoln now. Play offs it is but our record against those around us (including the imps of course), is a concern, and something in the players minds perhaps. Another negative result on Friday and things will look a bit gloomy.

Sorry Ian - I'm not feeling as optimistic as you this morning

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Interested to read the above regarding strikers. I was thinking along the same lines myself, with Stockton and Cook in such good form and with Nors a bit out of sorts, why not start with our two in form strikers? I don't have a footballing brain but we're at the business end of the season, with nothing to lose and everything to gain, why not go all in?

I don't think we're quite out of the title race yet, let's hope that Lincoln think it's job done, take their foot off the gas and slip-up. All we can do is try and win every game, starting with Friday, when I'll be making the trip up from the Midlands.

The play-offs are indeed a lottery, but surely, of all clubs, we're due a bit of luck and success. With Micky in charge and with the positive vibe around the squad and the club, we're in with more than a fighting chance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One thing I failed to mention was set pieces. Why Jeff Hughes has to take every corner or free kick out wide I don't know - they rarely have any pace on them and we have other good options with the likes of Ridehalgh or even Buxton. We should be mixing it up. Big Mac & Buxton were sitting back when we had a free kick by the touchline and I don't see why the latter could not have taken it and easily got back into position. On the subject of Buxton, we should be offering him a contract very soon as he has impressed and could leave at the end of the season.

Some of the finishing last night was poor and Hughes was as guilty as anyone first half. A bit too much powder puff and as RLC said I think, trying to walk it in. Whatever happened to putting your foot through the ball.

Harris has a scan at 1:30 this afternoon.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with sparky about the set plays. Ridehalgh should take the majority of them. Last night most of Hughes deliveries were loopy efforts with no pace and very easy to defend.

drwhoman

I am physically out of touch but do supporters at the game feel that MM could be putting his subs on a bit earlier? Say after 60 mins? It gives them more time to adapt to the pace of the game? Sending Sousa on for only 10mins is desperation stuff. If we did have a sense that FGR were starting to get a grip might MM have reacted more quickly? Easy with hindsight I know. What is done is done. On to Friday. Let us hope Maynard is fit. I assume Steve Jennings is winding down to his retirement/departure or is he injured? He has not been mentioned recently.

Player
Backayogo
As stated, we tried to walk some of our chances in. Just thump it! It's not over yet though. Keep plugging away, Lincoln could slip up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think generally MM is more proactive with his subs than Brabin and I wasn't at the game last night, but it seemed like Forest Green were building momentum in the second half. Agree with drwhoman that last night perhaps there was a case for bringing Sousa on earlier.

Steve Jennings is still injured I think.

Player
Manager
John King
Strikers - Norwood doesn't look like scoring at all. Despite all his hard work/link up can we afford to have a striker at this stage of the season looking so out of form in terms of goals? I guess the answer is yes if we are winning, as we have been, but with another tough game on Friday there is an argument to give Collins a chance - although that is a risk in itself with him being unproven.

Collins looks far too raw to be starting games. He certainly won't do the running, chasing and pressing that Norwood does, which is absolutely vital at this level. Just as it is vital that you have someone like Harris in midfield to do the ugly stuff off the ball.

The majority of chances last night were missed by Jennings and Hughes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I didn't feel we were losing grip in the second half and I certainly didn't think FGR would nick it.

I think we can read into it a bit too much sometimes and of course it's always easier to pick apart decisions after the game.

Overall play was excellent and we ripped them apart at times with numerous chances in the first half and plenty to take the lead in the second. The players were just guilty of not taking their chances.

Looking ahead we simply have to be more clinical.

M

Mal

I am not at all confident we would win with Wallace in the side. Hope he isn't in the side for remainder of season and has a preseason to get back to basics.