• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The biggest game of the season for Tranmere, and a match that could determine our fate. Win this game and I think our winning streak may continue to the end of the season, giving us a real chance of the title. Lose, and our bid for automatic promotion is over. I certainly can't see Lincoln dropping points at home to a woefully out of form Chester side tomorrow night.

Although Aldershot are currently in great form, I think this is our most difficult game of the run-in. Although they have blown hot and cold at times this season, FGR have so much quality in their squad that we could play well tomorrow night and still lose. Christian Doige in particular is a huge danger. That said, we are in better form and will go into the game as favourites.

In terms of selection, I think we will be unchanged with Stockton chosen ahead of Cook on merit. Even a couple of weeks ago the idea of Cole keeping Cook out of the side would have seemed crazy, but I am sure Micky will keep faith with him tomorrow.

In their recent game against Lincoln, FGR struggled to deal with the physicality of the opposition, and I think we need players like McNulty and Harris to really get in their opponent's faces. There would be an argument for playing Cook against a pure footballing side, purely because of his physical presence.

Prediction: too close to call, but nothing other than victory will suffice. I think the crowd may sneak over 5,000 for this one, with less than 100 from Gloucestershire.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The biggest game is always the next one! That said, Forest Green are one of the best footballing sides in this league and the game at the New Lawn sounded one of our toughest initially, though in the end we could have won it. The visitor's form is a little erratic, the last game a slightly fortuitous win at ten-man Guiseley. Although that form has meant that they are effectively out of the running for the automatic slot, beating Rovers would strike a psychological blow for any play-off encounter and they're certain to be up for it.

Like RLC, I don't see any change in our starting xi, with Stockton's current form earning him the start. Do wonder if MM might be inclined to change things on the bench, with the greater experience of Mangan and Wallace an option.

Prediction: Think the crowd will be just below 5k. Rovers need the win, but really too close to call this one, if pushed I'd say another 2-2 draw.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky's team selections often surprise us and usually are inspired, but I agree that it would be difficult to imagine any changes to the starting line-up. Anyone being dropped after the team won 9-0 would be really unlucky. But I agree that we need a bit more midfield/defensive cover on the bench.

In direct contrast to last season, when our record against the top teams was superb yet we often struggled against the poorer sides, we have not done well against our promotion rivals this time round. We have won just two points out of 18 against the other teams currently in the top five. FGR must know they have no chance of overtaking both Lincoln and us, so I think they would be happy with a point to keep a buffer between them and Dover. So I think a low-scoring draw is on the cards. If the team does manage to win, it would be an even better result than Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough one this. I agree with RLC. If we win this, I think we'll go on and win our remaining games. The confidence in the team must be sky high after Saturday and the form we are in.

I think it will be a really entertaining open game with both sides going for it.

I'd imagine similar attendance to Saturday with another great atmosphere.

We have to win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm not sure this is a "must win". The season is far from over. A well contested draw would not be fatal, but a tame defeat would damage morale within the squad and the fan base. We need to keep up the momentum for the play-offs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
BBTC, the only aim now is to beat Lincoln to top spot, that is it. We have secured a play-off place anyway, but realistically we don't want that as it's a bit of a lottery and we are quite frankly rubbish in play-offs. With only five games to go, anyone who drops points at this stage is probably looking at 2nd place. We must keep winning!

Player
Manager
John King
Unchanged starting eleven, but Wallace on the bench in place of mekki.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suppose now that Sousa has demonstrated his ability, this makes sense in terms of offering a more varied bench. Depending how the game is going, there might be the option of bringing Wallace on to see things out. From what we saw before his injury, wouldn't see him as a game-changer and if we were losing, he's the last of the outfield subs we should turn to.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wallace is a big game player who must feel like he has something to prove. I think he could be useful later on tonight if he's back to full fitness.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
See Wallace gets an early introduction with an injury to Harris. Given Jay's excellent recent form have to hope it won't keep him out for long. Will Wallace be fit enough to last an hour...

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Play offs it is then!

Need to maintain the recent good form now and not let this defeat affect us. On to Friday and another tricky game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We've made the play-offs. There may be a case for resting some players and maybe giving the other player including youngsters a chance. Effectively, the playoffs are a new competition and we are in preseason. (I await the barrage!)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted. We played really well first half but we're guilty of missing good chances. Thought we looked a bit more ragged in the second with the oppositions physical approach and again we missed good chances.

My big worry is they will be one of the playoff teams.

Player
Manager
John King
I can't complain with the quality of the performance or the effort of the players tonight, as we were excellent. Unfortunately, the better side lost. We ultimately paid for missed chances, as four or five good opportunities went begging in the first half and at least a couple more in the second. In addition to the scruffy winner, FGR forced Davies into two good saves but were generally unimpressive and their victory was a real smash and grab raid.

In the first half we completely dominated, and while we were still on top in the second there is no doubt that the absence of Harris affected us. We did not win as much in midfield without him which allowed FGR to get a foothold in the match, although they still did not deserve anything from the game, let alone a victory. You can question whether we would have taken one of our many opportunities had Cook started. However, Stockton linked up well with Norwood and we were unlucky that most of the chances fell to James or Connor Jennings, rather than Cole.

Individually, there were a lot of good displays, but I though Ridehalgh, Buxton and Ihiekwe were our best players.

Absolutely gutted with the outcome, but there is no way we should be messing round and resting players because a) we need to maintain this standard of performance and keep the momentum going and b) we are duty bound to keep chasing Lincoln until it is mathematically impossible for us to win the league.

Tonight's defeat does continue our extremely poor record against top five teams this season, which is a worry going into the play-offs.

One major positive was the size of the crowd tonight, and it was great to see Prenton Park bouncing again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I actually thought Stockton was overpowered by their defenders and Cook would have been the presence we needed from the start, having said that we did create a lot in the first half whilst the visitors created nothing.

Ultimately it matters not how the game was won when you look back and I just hope this isn't going to repeat itself in a few weeks time.

Great atmosphere tonight and extremely frustrating. Can't complain too much because they did put massive effort in but the goal scoring problem comes back to haunt us. You cannot afford to miss the chances we did tonight. FGR would have been dead and buried come half time..

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Stockton and Norwood caused them a lot of problems with their movement and link-up play, and the chances actually dried up a bit when Cook came on (apart from the one he headed against the cross bar).

Connor Jennings had a couple of chances six yards out where he just needed to put his foot through it, but backpassed it to the keeper. Some strange finishing tonight, almost as if we were trying to walk it in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Depressing news about Harris, depressing result. We go again Friday, but think the best that we can now hope for is some momentum to go into the play-offs.