• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Fleetwood

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Penultimate game of a truncated pre-season and realistically the last chance for trying out some combinations, as I'd expect the Bury game to be something of a dry run for our opener at Torquay.

No additions to the squad since the last game. In the absence of any trialist defenders, I'd like to see starts for Pilling, Gumbs alongside McNulty/Sutton and Duggan in midfield. Possibly Waring (if fit), Clarke and Rokka too.

Only the Main Stand and Paddocks open for this one and the turnout will be poor. The club aren't helping by the price hike on the day. Personally, can't be sure of getting out of work in time, so no point in buying advance ticket I might not use. Not keen on paying an extra £2 on the day, so won't be bothering. Not in favour of the match-day price hike generally, but for a low key friendly, it's plain daft. If the club can avoid it for FA Trophy games, why not these friendlies?

M

mikey

Yes the price hike is daft . I dont bother in pr season. Pointless seems strange that we havent played more. Hope the boys are not undercooked. We need to hit the ground running an not play catch up

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see the new signings against decent opposition, particularly Alabi. I think this game will be about improving the fitness levels of the whole squad and preparing tactically for the opening game; I think experimentation will be at a minimum given the continuity we have.

I said last season that the price hike is a bad idea, but £10 / £12 against good League One opposition seems reasonable enough to me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If you don't use these games to experiment and try out different combinations, then circumstances may dictate that the first time a pairing/combination is used is during a league game. I'm unsure that continuity in pre-season friendlies, particularly when we've opted to play so few, will be for the best. Can see there might be merit in selecting something close to the side for Torquay in this one, as if they send any observers, it's more likely to be for the Bury match.

I share Mikey's uncertainty about whether the preparations for the Torquay trip are sufficient. Have to trust the manager know's what he's doing and that the players are getting a thorough workout behind the scenes. There's only one way we'll find out...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes the price hike is daft . I dont bother in pr season. Pointless seems strange that we havent played more. Hope the boys are not undercooked. We need to hit the ground running an not play catch up

We hit the ground running last season winning the first 5 games then drawing the 6th

Player
Manager
John King
If you don't use these games to experiment and try out different combinations, then circumstances may dictate that the first time a pairing/combination is used is during a league game. I'm unsure that continuity in pre-season friendlies, particularly when we've opted to play so few, will be for the best. Can see there might be merit in selecting something close to the side for Torquay in this one, as if they send any observers, it's more likely to be for the Bury match.

I share Mikey's uncertainty about whether the preparations for the Torquay trip are sufficient. Have to trust the manager know's what he's doing and that the players are getting a thorough workout behind the scenes. There's only one way we'll find out...
Yes, because our performance last season with virtually the same squad was such a catastrophe.........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm sure we'll be fine for the start of the season. I'm giving up on these friendlies tho, bit of a waste of money to see 22 players strolling around.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure we'll be fine for the start of the season. I'm giving up on these friendlies tho, bit of a waste of money to see 22 players strolling around.
Hopefully, these next two games will not be like that. Surely, they will be semi-competitive without too many subs but with everyone playing for their place in the line-up against Torquay.

drwhoman

I agree BBTC.MM will want to give his team a thorough work out in these two games. He knows the importance of starting well. Torquay away will be far from straightforward and I would think that 12 quid is a snip for the keen supporter. I know what I have paid to watch Liverpool in friendlies when they have come to Australia! A lot more than that! And as for getting a Premier League ticket on spec - you need a new mortgage! No - I would be there if not so far away.

Player
aldo
Yes we did hit the ground running . But we had more games leading up to it. The liverpool game was a defensive exercise. An the laird game was was the opposite. An with only 2 games to go . You have to think we might not be ready . Even chester have played six or seven games now . Think its the least games played i can remember. I want nothing more than to start with wins

Player
aldo
Hope to see dunn . And wearing to . If they are fit . Have been told that wearing was a couple weeks behind . Would like to see some of the younger ones play . Duggan. And gums. But don't think there will be loads of changes.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes we did hit the ground running . But we had more games leading up to it. The liverpool game was a defensive exercise. An the laird game was was the opposite. An with only 2 games to go . You have to think we might not be ready . Even chester have played six or seven games now . Think its the least games played i can remember. I want nothing more than to start with wins
Welcome to the forum. Love the name. ;)

Player
aldo
Cheers . Its good to be on here. Been lookin on the forum for ages . But been so busy with work an family .

Player
Manager
John King
In addition to the public games, I believe we played a behind-closed-doors friendly at the weekend. I don't think there will be any problem with match fitness.

Player
aldo
Was talking to nicola palios at the open day . She said that the players are using more sports science . And structred games to build up? still a little strange. But if it works im all for it .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Welcome to the forum am.
I'm not sure about all this sports science shenanigans. Just get out there and play some games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like quite an encouraging performance. Will await the reports with interest.

Player
Manager
John King
Very impressive and entertaining stuff from Rovers. Fleetwood are clearly a quality outfit and knocked the ball round at speed and had genuine pace in their team. However, we thoroughly deserved the victory. We were solid and untroubled at the back and a constant threat up front, with all four strikers looking dangerous.

We started in an unusual 5-2-3 formation, with Dunn and Norwood either side of Alabi. The two strikers linked up brilliantly and I was actually surprised at how well they played together. Alabi fed Nors for the first goal with an excellent through ball, and James uncharacteristically finished the one-on-one in style (he did miss another, easier chance for a hat trick later in the game). It was an interesting system, as although Alabi played the target man role he was also a constant threat in behind with his pace, as of course was Norwood: I think most NL defences would not live with the pair of them. That said, Andy Cook looked fit and lean when he came on and I would still start him at Torquay.

Defensively we were excellent, with McNulty and Buxton outstanding. The latter was probably man of the match, scoring a great individual goal for the third. The only negative was that both he and Sutton limped off with knocks, while Harris was not in the squad and is presumably also injured.

It was noticeable that Norburn burst forward to join the attack on several occasions, something we have sorely lacked from midfield in recent seasons.

Overall, all four of our strikers looked far more threatening than those of a team which narrowly missed out on The Championship last season, which has to be positive. We were tested by Fleetwood's slick passing at times, and there was no lack of energy in the performance: fitness does not seem to be an issue.

Regarding the youngsters, I thought Duggan struggled a bit against higher level opposition whereas Gumbs was very imposing when he came on.

Looking forward to 5th August now.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. An interesting new system. I thought we might sneak a win, but this performance bodes well for the new season. Let's hope the lads can keep it up!

Player
Manager
John King
Fleetwood actually rested a number of their regulars tonight, but it was still an impressive performance by Rovers.